Want to know more about customs, courtesies

My husband and I plan to move to Panama in the near future and have been doing a lot of research on Panama.  Does anyone have any tips on what not to do as a gringo that would get a person in trouble?  Maybe even customs, courtesies?  Thank you.

Hi Dravec44,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Panama forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

For a good start, i invite you to have a look at the topics found on the forum, you may already find some very interesting information.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Always greet people.  Panamanians appreciate a warm greeting and being thanked for services.  Pay attention to Panamanian holidays and wish them a Happy Mother's Day or a Merry Christmas, in Spanish, of course.  Most of the Panamanians that I met were very affectionate.  They are more comfortable with hugging or cheek kisses than Americans are used to experiencing.  My favorite grocery bagger would pat me on the back to say hello when I came into the store.  One staff member in our building would squeeze my elbow when we met.  Try not to pull away as the person could be offended.  Hugging is very common in Panama and, IMHO, I think it is one of their best customs.     

Panamanians are very proud of their country.  Try to avoid being critical of their country in front of them.  Also, avoid being critical of your home country.  They would prefer to hear that you came to Panama because you want to be there, not because you are fleeing your homeland.

Always send a formal thank you to your lawyer, rental agent, or other Panamanian that helped with a service.  These formalities are important and go a long way in forming business relationships in Panama.  Our thank you to our rental agent is now being used for promotion of the agency, by their request.  Everyone we thanked sent nice replies, thanking us for our thank you!

I do not know what a gringo would have to do to get in trouble other than something dishonest like skipping out on a lease or contract.

PacificaMaryAnn is right. The social niceties are very important. Use a persons name if you know it. Chat a bit, ask how they are, how is the family, nice weather, how is work, etc before diving into business. Kisses on cheeks are normal greetings between friends and acquaintances. When saying goodbye also send greetings to the spouse and others in the household. Greetings to strangers are also common when passing on the street, entering a waiting room, bus, anywhere that there are people. (Buenos dias, buenas tardes, etc)  Relationships, time spent with people is more important than anything. Getting something done for less money is often more important than getting it done quickly. Being on time isn't as important as it is to us in the US, especially for social events. You will learn these subtle differences as you observe and interact with people. I feel very respected and included in our new home though because of these social interactions and I like that.

kristc99 wrote:

Being on time isn't as important as it is to us in the US, especially for social events.

Amen.  Panamanians have no concept of time.  (I prefer to think that instead of that they're inconsiderate.)  "I'll meet you in 30 minutes" could mean in 4 hours or not at all, in my experience.

OK here I go on my favorite rant about living here in Panama. As stated previously Panamanians have no concept of time. 5 minutes usually means an hour, 5 hours or maybe never!!! They never return calls as promised, never call you when it's important that they do or they do the Panamanian screw job and just let it ring one time and hangup figuring you will/should call them back, so they don't have to use their minutes up.

Their cars always have no tail lights at night and the cops do nothing. But if your a gringo, god forbid you have one light out and it's a $50.oo boleta. They never use their directional signals and I believe they have no clue what that lever is on the left side of the steering wheel. They love to stop in the road to chat with a friend and of course they don't have any rear lights. How they got their license is beyond me. Most can't even read the tests so you know they just pass them anyway. Remember, that yesterday they were riding a horse to town and today they are driving a car!!! Makes sense in Panama!!!

No English language gov't. forms anywhere. This is so you have to hire a "abogado". Then you need everything NOTARIZED !!!! WHY??? It's just a make work project as is most of the gov't. Talk about make work projects, in your travels notice the MOP projects. Just like back in the USSA, you have 4-6-8 guys standing around texting, talking whatever, while one guy is working. Ponderous man just, freakin ponderous!!!!

BTW, everything comes to a freakin halt at lunchtime..... WTF is with that BS. The best business time for most businesses and they CLOSE !!!! Dumb as a box of rocks.....

Restaurants.... even the better ones have no clue how to set up a table. Most never have condiments, napkins, dinnerware or water and other glasses out. You may have to flag a server down to get a menu. What are they thinking, that you came for a visit and not to eat....hey Bunky, we need a menu!!!! Here's the topper.....generally the food SUCKS!!! Yes there are some good restaurants here but for the most part, they SUCK where even the locals don't go there.

In trying to keep this short.....in closing there is no mail service here except if you go to the post office and check for your mail. Good luck with that adventure. Mailboxes Etc. is very expensive and slow. $3.60/once over your monthly contract price. That's $57.60/pound!!!! FREAKING OUTRAGEOUS especially for us that have medical supplies shipped in bcoz CSS/Salud doesn't have them and the local pharmacies charge outrageous prices even with the phony "Jubilado" discount. That's the other thing...where are all these places giving "Jubilado discounts??? Not out here were we live. When you ask for the discount all you get is a dirty look and "we don't do that here". Well that's everywhere except in some pharmacies where they have jacked the price up already.

Coming up on my nap time so keep in touch and enjoy your Paradise in Panama. NOT!!!!

Jim

I try my best when in Panama City to respect local customs - including the one that Panamanian men do NOT wear shorts.  Okay, maybe at the beach.  But, can you think of a dumber custom in a city that can be sweltering hot!  Wow.

One of the main reasons  could not live there.