Student living in Oslo. About Banks and Housing.

Hello,

I am a student from the U.S. I will be starting my master's studies in Oslo at BI Business School. I received my admission offer a bit late so I missed the student housing deadline. I had a few questions regarding living in Oslo.

What websites, agencies or methods can I find affordable housing for about 4-5 months?
What are the major banks in Oslo/Norway and can an account be opened online?

It's a bit of a messy situation for me. As for my residence permit, they require for me to have funds in a Norwegian bank account and also have a housing contract before I arrive in Oslo. I am a bit baffled and worried on how to proceed about getting a bank account mostly. I will manage the housing somehow.

Any other students/expats been through the same process?

Hi apatel2,

Welcome to expat-blog! :)

Some of the questions you are asking have already been answered on the Oslo forum.
You have to browse through the forum categories on the right of the page and go through the different topics.

Hopefully members of this forum will help you shortly,
Bhavna  ;)

1)  finn.no has housing
2) Here's a fairly comprehensive list of banks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Norway
3) I suspect it's difficult to open a bank account remotely given that most expats I've spoken to had the same experience I did. The bank wanted to see ID and my basis for residency before they would open the account. This bank even says you need to do it in person. The bankID they refer to is something you can't get unless you've already become a banking customer in Norway:
https://www.dnb.no/en/personal/internet … cards.html

HI Apatel2
                  Sorry that you receive your admission letter pretty late. I went through the same process. Am also a student at NO I got my admission also very late that jopadise my entire academic year. I remember vividly I finally started school mid October instead of mid August. Because I started almost half way was not allowed to sit for exams because of some work requirement ( though they were the cost of my late coming the still refuse to accept my letter of appeal to allowed take exams before doing the requirements later. I had very hard times during my first year which is still affecting my today.  Let me try answer your questions. As a first time student in Norway, you don't need an account to put the money. Used the school account contact the international office the will send you an account info. Even when you arrive  is no easy getting an account in Norway note that . It took my like 5 months to have one dnb bank. Please it's worth nothing that you have to deposit amount which is equal to cost of living expenses (111600nok) plus your tuition for one year mine was 77000 nok . Like you I also lost my place at the student hostel was not easy either. I advice to check on finn.no . Check in around the city As it's far but with the train you can make you was to school in like one hr.  BI is a very nice school with strong international accreditation but I had one of my worst expi here. If you have any further issue do not hesitate to ask
Hope this help!!