Looking for job opportunities Sao Paulo will be the priority

I'm from Malaysia, a country that encounter with different beautiful cultures and we could speak at least three languages. I can speak 4 languages which are English, Malay, Chinese and Mandarin.

I've been worked as a promoter since I was 16. I worked as a personal assistant in an Insurance company. I was also experienced in teaching industry as I worked in a tuition centre, as well nursing children and also self-employ as the same position as tuition teacher. I was a trainee in radio industry under 'Advertising and Promotion' department and worked as a part-timer too to translate all the media from Chinese to English for media updates.

I was studied BA(Hons) Mass Communication in Liverpool John Moores University, UK. Now I work as a public relations executive to gain experience as a public relations practitioner.

I am here then look for a job abroad opportunity in Brazil for one to three years as for the main reason, I love the passion of Brazilian therefore, I want to explore the culture in Brazil and to understand that how the communication flows in Brazil different in Malaysia.

I'm willing to learn and could adapt the environment easily, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks and have a nice day.

You would need a work visa in order to be able to work in Brazil. In order to get that visa, you would need a letter from a company stating that they offered you a contract and asking permission that you'd be issued a work visa. They would essentially be your sponsor.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult for a foreigner to get a work visa.

There are laws set up that make it difficult for companies to hire foreigners. The company must prove that they tried to hire Brazilians before they hired the foreigner. Even setting all of that aside, a company would have to ask itself why they would hire someone who doesn't speak Portuguese over somebody who does.

Basically, the question is, what do you offer that a good amount of Brazilians don't offer? The answer to that is usually speaking another language fluently. So the easiest job for foreigners to get is an English teaching job. The only issue with this is that schools will rarely offer help in getting you a work visa.

It's a difficult road to get a work visa here, but it's not impossible. Good luck

Hi, thanks for the advice. I will see what if there's any possibility!

Have a nice day!

Hello WeiSiean Tan,

For expats, finding a job in Brazil is a daunting task to say the very least. It is for this reason that most expats who succeed here in Brazil are either transferred here by a multinational company they already work for, or have some personal means of wealth building and don't have to rely on finding a job here.

First, the law here requires employers to prove to the Ministry of Labor that they have exhausted all efforts to fill any job vacancy with a qualified Brazilian citizen before they are permitted to hire a foreign national to fill it.

Next is the fact that unlike much of the world outside, here ENGLISH is not the working language of commerce. In fact English is not widely spoken here, not even in the largest companies in the country. You MUST have a firm grasp of Portuguese or you're just not going to stand a chance of getting a decent job here. How would you communicate with superiors, co-workers and clients/customers, all of whom speak no English at all??? Of the languages YOU speak, only English and Mandarin have any "commercial" value here in Brazil, and at that they don't have much without Portuguese.

Language is without a doubt the single largest barrier to success in adapting to and permanence in Brazil, mostly because of how it effects one in terms of work opportunities. Most of those who come here with hopes of staying and eventually return home have stated that language barriers were the deciding factor in their choice to leave.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Hey James,

Great day ahead. Thanks for the advice and I will see what I can do for this.  :)