Looking to create a business opportunity in Thailand - BKK / Pattaya

Hello everyone,

Have joined the Expat.com as I am seeking some advice, thoughts, suggestions on a business idea that if the general feedback is positive, I will look at the feasability of creating.

Basically, every time I come to BKK or Pattaya, I cannot get a decent cup of coffee.  Now I am not talking about the latte or machiatto or some other fancy coffee, just a decent cup of coffee that has been properly made using a decent coffee machine. 

So I started looking for barista training schools located in either and could only find some limited information on this.  This has led me to believe that perhaps there may be an opportunity to pursue establishing a barista training school which would teach hospitality staff from the resorts, hotels, etc the correct way to make some very basic coffess including the frothing of the milk, how to extract the coffee, types of cups to use and even a little coffee art along with some basic understanding on the various coffees available. 

I have a number of ideas on how to present a business proposal for this project.  What I am seeking now is some input from those who have been around for a few years now and know the scene and whether this may be a viable project or not.

If the overall feedback is negative or there are already quite a number of barista schools established, then no harm done.  However, it the feedback to this is positive and the overall believe is that there is a niche in the market for this type of business, then I will start on preparing a business plan to submit to the BOI in Thailand and also I will be asking for assistance on company structures, visas, accomomdation, leasing, etc, etc.

If there are any board members who are able to give me some initial feedback, that would be great.

Regards.

Andre.

Before you go another step please read this. Also understand the reason they don't have high quality coffees is not because it can't be acquired here. As a matter of fact the best coffee beans in the world can be grown in Asian mountains. It's the cost. Too costly and no one can afford it and the Expats that are on Asia are here because its cheaper to live than in their home countries so they are budgetted and Penny pinching as well....

PLEASE READ..THIS WAS POSTED IN THE PHILIPPINES FORUM BUT IT STILL APPLIES ALL AROUND.

16 September 2015 00:07:53
A dumb idea.
Many of you leave me scratching my head. I have decided to take issues with your insistence on starting a business here. The main reason is because you have come to a third world country and you actually have the gall to think you are going to blaze a trail of riches and fortune.

I really don't mean to call you stupid or dumb but the idea is. I come from the United States of America. One of the most industrialized nations on earth. In America the government even sponsors a department called Small Business Administration. Where they give counseling and assist with business loans for individuals and small businesses that are wanting to expand or start up a business. With their expertise in business start up they inform the prospect of the pitfalls of starting a business. The main reason for this is because in America as well as all the other industrialized countries there is a 75% failure rate within the first year, 80% the second year, and 50% after the third year. Now that is in a country where there are safeguards and resources to help with this venture.

You my friend are in a country where the cost of living is so bad that a farmer with 20 acres of land can barely show a profit. The same goes for a farmer who has 2 to 3 hundred head of live stock. You must understand that you are not plugged in to the culture and lifestyle enough to make it in a business venture. There is a reason this country is considered a third world country, or if you want to be nice and say a developing country.

I have identified the type of individual who will come here and actually think he can become Bill Gates. He's the average JOE who worked 30yrs as a simple employee. He has retired now and because of the cost of living in his home country he came here because his money can go farther. I understand that, but because he's patted on the back by the locals and told, "HEY JOE, YOU'RE RICH". This somehow goes to his head and instead of relaxing and enjoying his retirement he jumps up and decides to start a business... Dahhhh, not very smart.

He also makes an even bigger mistake by going into business with a local.... Whoa, seriously dude? The mindset of a local is fast money. For a business to grow you have to invest constantly in it and not expect any return for atleast two years. That won't work out well here because these folks can't even wait long enough to butcher a pig. They hack it up bone and all then cook and eat. No time for food preparation, its slaughter then eat. You stop at an intersection and they guy behind you will try and go before you thus causing an accident and he will have all his kids in the car. Everyone is in a hurry. So the idea of starting a business and having a guy from here as your partner is not very good because he is only interested in money NOW. I'm going to be buying several pigs because I love ham. They don't have CURED APPLEWOOD SMOKED HAM here. My Pinoy friends asked me how long it took to cure the ham I told them 4 to 6 months and 20 hours to smoke it and they turned their noses up at that idea.

Understand, this is a mindset and try as you might you are not going to convince anyone here to work their butt off for little to no pay in hopes of getting a return years later. Not going to happen. If you want to keep busy here then become a tutor or volunteer at the hospital.

In my case, I will have a few pigs. Maybe a dozen or so. I will feed them and even hire someone to help me care for them especially when I want to travel. At no time am I going to try and recoup that cost. I'm only going to use the ham, bacon, and loin. The rest I will sell or give away. If I sell the remains it will be to buy feed or because I don't want to give the neighbors the idea of free ANYTHING.

That's the mindset I wish to pass to you JOE because what will be your future is sitting at the Airport headed back to your home country with a bitter taste in your mouth. That can be avoided if you refrain from playing BIG SHOT with your in-laws and please don't think anyone here is your friend. Your ATM access is why they call you friend.

I've never understood why a person would come to a poor country and think he can strike it rich. If you lose only half your money in a business venture consider it a WIN...
Last edited by sirrobcentral (16 September 2015 00:21:41)
7  REPLY
sirrobcentral
sirrobcentral
Laoag

I hate to contradict but I know at least 10 people here who made a fortune with either video games or online games (mobile platforms) and online sales of all sorts of products.
So yes it is possible to make a few $$$ or whatever currency you like.

Now, a nice Thai girl may help you spend them quickly, but that's another story (Rudyard Kipling)

AGLV0121 wrote:

I hate to contradict but I know at least 10 people here who made a fortune with either video games or online games (mobile platforms) and online sales of all sorts of products.
So yes it is possible to make a few $$$ or whatever currency you like.

Now, a nice Thai girl may help you spend them quickly, but that's another story (Rudyard Kipling)

As you point out. It's online business ventures; that is worldwide. I have met several young folks living abroad but getting their income from online business. Very good, but not from a local community in a third world country. These folks barely get by with necessity.

Online yes - worldwide - but it's here these young guys (most of them) succeeded.

Anyway, brick and mortar (if I dare say), beauty products seem to cater to a large audience here.
Whitening, I mean. And anti-wrinkle products too.

I'd advice to have a look at Alibaba and import a few products after a quick survey in lieu of market study and start selling.
FB can be a good way to advertise.