Understanding the Maltese school system

Hi there, I recently moved to Malta with my partner and 2 children, 20 months and 3 and a half years old. As we will be both working soon we need to find schools for our children but the more I look the more I am confused. Regarding childcare I understood that if both parents work there are centers that are registered with the free scheme for working parents. Regarding kindergarten instead I thought it would be free but I now understand (and please correct me if I am wrong) that free schools are either state schools or religious. My kids speak English and Italian and I don't want them to go to a school where lessons are thought in Maltese and where the majority of children are Maltese because I am concerned they would end up being outcasts. I also don't want them to go to a religious schools. I have been looking at independent schools thinking they would all be schools where the main language is English and there would be no religion but that doesn't seem to be the case as independant is mostly another way of calling private schools which in many cases are religious? Am I right? That doesn't seem to be an option of a school which is free, not religious and in English. Thank you for any advice/reply. Have a great day!

Hi Annagreccia,

Unfortunately and I suppose like in most countries having free education, free schools in Malta are state schools only; everything else is to be paid for!

However, If I may give my opinion; there are a lot of foreign pupils in quite a few public schools around, of course depending on the area. Better to visit some schools and ask the heads for advice.
As for your worry of your children becoming outcasts, I don't think you should worry about that. They will sooner or later (probably sooner) be accepted for sure.

Good luck.

Also, all schools here are Catholic (except for the private, international school, Verdala.

You can, however, opt your children out of religious studies lessons.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. What is the quality of education in state/public schools in Malta? Are the lessons thaught in English or Maltese? I also heard that one can opt out of Maltese and religion classes, is that correct? Regarding the areas I think the most internationals are Gzira, Sliema and surroundings, is that correct? Do you know of any kindergarten that would be a good option according to my requirements?
Thanks a lot Anna

Annagreccia,

Your children are very young. In my opinion most of your worries do not apply.
Your best action would be to visit the schools around the area you're wanting to live in and ask questions directly to the principles. Ask to be shown around and see for yourself. Area wise, you're obviously going to find more foreigners where most foreigners live, being Sliema area and St Paul's, and some other areas too.
Regarding the languages, I think at that age they will speak Maltese, English and Italian simultaneously before you know it!

maltainsideout.com/6208/expat-insights-kids-moving-schools