How much can be to build a house?

i wouldnt do it coz it makes the floor slippery when wet.. but its your choice

Is one restricted to the frontage for the house entrance? We have a lot plan that has the frontage on the lower portion of the slope while we were envisioning an entrance on the top.

Nope, you are not restricted.

Your house guest may be confused though since they will be looking for the door at the frontage. Some designed it to have the main/service entrance at the top and a guest door at the frontage.

Right, that would make sense to those wanting to make the best of a view when entering the house. Especially if the frontage requires an entrance to be placed facing away from the said view.. A major part of the allure of a sloping house is the view view view!
From a construction perspective, can houses built on slopes have equally sized floor space per story or do safety concerns dictate otherwise.

What do you mean with equally sized floor space per story? Is it a house perched on the highest position of your lot area and with stakes to lift it? That will maximize the view.

Most of the time, there is no safety concern since the structural engineer will design it to be perfectly safe. Of course, the concern would be more on the budget. There is a house in Balai that is perched on the cliff. There are structural members below to create a house on a cliff. Really expensive.

markad wrote:

What do you mean with equally sized floor space per story? Is it a house perched on the highest position of your lot area and with stakes to lift i

Nope, nothing quite that exotic. A better question would have been, does the lowest floor or base need to be wider than the floors above from a safety stand point. Structurally you had mentioned earlier there can be some overhang over and above the maximum foot print but my question was more around safety concerns when building on a slope in the odd chance of an earthquake etc. I could be way off base, given how little I know about this stuff.

Nope, there is no danger if the structural design is good. We take into account lateral forces (meaning horizontal push and pull like earthquake and wind) when designing houses. At least that is our standard practice in our company.

Thanks, thats comforting and good to know. Is Stone expensive in Philippines? trying to gauge costs. Stone veneers for external house walls and internal facade walls for Tv etc.

http://www.lamudi.com.ph/journal/qa-how … ild-house/

We use a lot of stone veneers on our projects. Price is reasonable. Our recommended for mid-tier pricing is Stoneworks but there are other alternatives.

Cool thanks for the info.

markad wrote:

There are a lot of old houses that used polished concrete as a floor finish. A little bit harder to maintain but Filipinos are used to it. We use half coconut husk (bunot) and Johnson's floor wax to make it shine. Good when you are on a budget.

Many thanks,
I do see in Australia many restaurants, and some houses use it.  I'm not sure what sort of finishing they use on it.  I need to some research.

markad :
There are a lot of old houses that used polished concrete as a floor finish. A little bit harder to maintain but Filipinos are used to it. We use half coconut husk (bunot) and Johnson's floor wax to make it shine. Good when you are on a budget.

Many thanks,
I do see in Australia many restaurants, and some houses use it.  I'm not sure what sort of finishing they use on it.  I need to some research.

A lot of processes but it is similar to polishing granite. I find it really fun to watch tutorials on youtube.

Standards of Glass in construction of windows and glass doors?

Just wondering if any one can help me in regards to what is the standard of glass used in house in the Philippines?

Hi Pej. Our standard here is single-pane or single glazed windows. Basically, it just a panel of glass. Single-pane glass has two-types, ordinary and tempered. Ordinary is just regular glass while tempered is tougher and less brittle. Tempered is the glass used in high-end phones, I think it is more known as gorilla glass.

The options for framing are steel, aluminum, and plastic. Filipinos preferred the first two since it is hard to find PVC windows that is value for your money. Most use aluminum these days since you have more option and it is faster to fabricate.

So the most common windows here in the Philippines are single-pane steel window or single-pane aluminum window.
---
Insulated windows or double glazed windows are not common and therefore very expensive. So far, all double glazed windows are imported so you have to pay a premium if you want one. I wish there is a manufacturing plant here that will not ask for a premium for something that is supposed to be common.

Are wall to ceiling windows common in residential construction? In bedrooms for example. Are tempered single panes a safe option in typhoon country?

Vivnay wrote:

Are wall to ceiling windows common in residential construction? In bedrooms for example. Are tempered single panes a safe option in typhoon country?

Do you mean windows that reach up to the ceiling?
Windows that reached the ceiling in height are not common. We usually do it on mid-end to high-end modern-inspired houses. Once you go for larger windows, you have to do it for the whole house. There are also design considerations to consider like where to place the curtain rods.

Regular glass is good enough in most cases. Of course, due to global warming, it seems that typhoon is worse every year. Tempered is advisable especially if you want a larger window size. Tempered single panes is a safe, mid-end option.

markad wrote:

Hi Pej. Our standard here is single-pane or single glazed windows. Basically, it just a panel of glass. Single-pane glass has two-types, ordinary and tempered. Ordinary is just regular glass while tempered is tougher and less brittle. Tempered is the glass used in high-end phones, I think it is more known as gorilla glass.

The options for framing are steel, aluminum, and plastic. Filipinos preferred the first two since it is hard to find PVC windows that is value for your money. Most use aluminum these days since you have more option and it is faster to fabricate.

So the most common windows here in the Philippines are single-pane steel window or single-pane aluminum window.
---
Insulated windows or double glazed windows are not common and therefore very expensive. So far, all double glazed windows are imported so you have to pay a premium if you want one. I wish there is a manufacturing plant here that will not ask for a premium for something that is supposed to be common.

Many thanks Markad.

markad wrote:
Vivnay wrote:

Do you mean windows that reach up to the ceiling?
Windows that reached the ceiling in height are not common. We usually do it on mid-end to high-end modern-inspired houses. Once you go for larger windows, you have to do it for the whole house. There are also design considerations to consider like where to place the curtain rods.

Regular glass is good enough in most cases. Of course, due to global warming, it seems that typhoon is worse every year. Tempered is advisable especially if you want a larger window size. Tempered single panes is a safe, mid-end option.

Cool, thanks info. What I had in mind was a tri sectional window with about 1-2 feet border on all  4 sides. So in effect they would not span the entire length of the wall.

In hindsight tri sectional may not work for a standard size master bedroom windows. Our intention would be to have a large enough center non operable sections combined with smaller operable side. sections. Thanks again for addressing the query on safety.

Came across an article on philstar dated Feb 2017 on Autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC). There was some mention of savings on foundation cost by around 25 percent with this method of construction. Has anyone heard of it? At the time the article was written, it appears to be a relatively new concept in the phils, though has been used in Malaysia for a while..

Further reading suggests aac is suitable for non load bearing walls only.

Vivnay wrote:

Came across an article on philstar dated Feb 2017 on Autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC). There was some mention of savings on foundation cost by around 25 percent with this method of construction. Has anyone heard of it? At the time the article was written, it appears to be a relatively new concept in the phils, though has been used in Malaysia for a while..

Not recommended. Prohibitive price and it is not load-bearing. The price reduction is not that significant compared to the price increase. There are many that are trying to introduce it but you will end up paying a premium. Probably need an actual manufacturing plant to decrease the cost and be able to compete with concrete hollow blocks. So far, all the sales that try to sell us this technology are importing it from Malaysia or Vietnam and probably the reason for the price.

Gotcha mark.

With regards to built in furniture, are there cheaper composite alternatives to wood for bunk beds?

Vivnay wrote:

With regards to built in furniture, are there cheaper composite alternatives to wood for bunk beds?

For quality bunk beds, I don't think there are alternatives yet. Steel and/or wood with a combination of plywood seems the best. My experience with wood plastic composite (WPC) is for aesthetic or wood planks for the floor. But the one that introduced WPC here is aggressive marketers so we may find structural WPC a few years from now.

Quality custom built-in furniture like bunk bed is expensive. It will rival the price of Pottery Barn furniture and the likes. However, quality is quality. Antipolo wood and steel crafters are expensive but you will get the best that money can buy. We hire the best in that area when a client needs complicated wood or steel works. Also, since they use hard wood, the resale value is really good if you are interested with that.

If you want the best price for the bunk beds, shop around in our malls, furniture shops, or online. Pre-made/manufactured furniture is cheaper than custom-built/built-in furniture.

Thanks again Mark. Great input and information for anyone considering building/furnishing a holiday home. Which we are at some point in the near future, should all things play out.

Was curious as to what thoughts people have on solar panels. In theory it would seem appropriate to spend the PHP100k or so on decent panels, subscribe for the metering plan with Meralco, and reap benefits considering a holiday home would be seasonal in it's usage.

Vivnay wrote:

We do aluminum windows and doors. Single panes are generally safe. For bigger panels / divisions, I would recommend thicker glass. 

Say, you have a 3.00m x 2.40m height (or 10' x 8') opening. If you plan to divide these into 20 panels of 2' x 2', ¼” (6mm) thick glass on 1-3/4” x 3” rectangular tube framing would be fine. If you want to divide it into 8 panels, I would suggest using thicker 3/8” (10mm) glass. If you want to divide it into 4 panels of 2.5' x 8', I would suggest using ½” (12mm) tempered glass on curtain wall (mullion) framing.

When we built our house, I could have opted for large floor-to-ceiling windows and still be confident that we would still be safe in case of typhoons. But I shied away from that because of two things: privacy and heat.

In our subdivision, there's one house with wall to ceiling windows which many call the “see-through” house. As we pass by that house, we can see the entire living room and more. We can see what the homeowners are watching on their large flat screen HD tv and that they have a Cignal satellite subscription. (Would you want people to see what you're doing in your house, especially in your bedroom? )

A few years back, we were considering buying a house and lot, instead of just a lot for which we can build a house. There was this large house, very beautiful. With a tall floor to ceiling window, one can see the elegant curved wooden staircase from outside. But inside, it was hot near the window! Handrails were hot to the touch. We didn't even bother going upstairs to look at the bedrooms.

If installed properly, wall-to-ceiling windows with single pane glass are safe. But do consider how it affects privacy and the temperature in your home.

Agree on the above points. Thanks for the input..On further thought, non segmented floor to ceiling glass would also mean no cross ventilation as there would be no openable windows... Hence the right combination of large single segments (center)+ openable smaller windows along the periphery would be the wiser option I suppose.

Vivnay wrote:

Thanks again Mark. Great input and information for anyone considering building/furnishing a holiday home. Which we are at some point in the near future, should all things play out.

Was curious as to what thoughts people have on solar panels. In theory it would seem appropriate to spend the PHP100k or so on decent panels, subscribe for the metering plan with Meralco, and reap benefits considering a holiday home would be seasonal in it's usage.

I think Tagaytay is one of the few areas that I will agree in having a quality solar panel installed. The key word is quality, skimp and you may end up with a useless silicon panel at your roof. Solar panel benefits a lot in cold temperatures since their energy collection is more efficient. And as you have said, you may earn while not using it if Meralco allows you to give electricity back to the grid.

100% agree. Tesla's Powerwall was doing the rounds in the Philippines sometime last year I believe...has the company made inroads?

Further reading suggests, Solar Philippines will be the key player in the domestic market with the Pres just attending an inaugural factory opening in Batangas yesterday.

When construction is done on a slope, using the cut and fill method, looks like there are 2 new retaining walls that are placed into each of the excavated/filled areas. On a slope where the frontage is on the lower portion of the slope, does the need for a retaining wall mean there will be a loss of usable area?

Vivnay wrote:

When construction is done on a slope, using the cut and fill method, looks like there are 2 new retaining walls that are placed into each of the excavated/filled areas. On a slope where the frontage is on the lower portion of the slope, does the need for a retaining wall mean there will be a loss of usable area?

No, there will be no loss of usable area.

https://preview.ibb.co/bs1SZ5/Usable_area.png

Here is a quick rough sketch to show that there will be no loss of usable area wherever you cut and fill or if you use retaining wall.

Ah ok. For some reason I was under the impression that diagram number 4 was the best option for  construction where the retaining wall facing the frontage on the lower portion was a solid bit of foundation with no other functionality except to provide support.

Like this for example.

https://i1.wp.com/www.firstinarchitectu … d-fill.jpg

Jassim 7 wrote:

Ok if I want to make a house with three rooms 3by4 MTR and tow toilet and small sitting hall so how much about it will cost me all in all phase ,
Thank you very much

Jassim

This has being covered extensively in this post.

Hi, I picked up on your reply for the house build cost. How can i see the photos please?. I am suck weighing up to buy or build. i have been offered a good lot, and what to have a idea what i can achieve for my money. Thank for your time.

David.

Good for you. May everything go well in building your house.

Best,

HI, I have Build house in Concepcion Tarlac, well one mistake I have to live with any way
I thought I had building permit but not, the City Hall are corrupted, My Builder always tolled me we have one, when I had to get power connected, there was nothing there, asked City Hall they said they had floods and all got destroyed and that was that nothing said more about it.

Now about Windows, I was getting double glazed ones as we agreed with Builder, but when I got back it was single glass, no seals the noise is really bd and smoke gets in trough them, I will like to replace them so what will be best for me, I like it have less nose and less smoke getting in..