Manta Area

Hi there,  I am a 68 yr old single female from Calgary AB, Canada.   I just returned from a tour with Ecuador Expat Journeys and it was great.  I just retired and am interested in wintering in the Manta area.  Any suggestions as to how I can seek out 3 - 6 month rentals that are pet friendly and close to the water?

I there Vicky. My wife and I are researching the same thing. We currently live in Mont Tremblant area of Quebec but wish to spend 4-5 months in Ecuador by the ocean. Our research has already revealed a lot . For example Playas area south of Salinas is quite littered by locals who seem to think the ocean will take care of their garbage. Salinas is a beautiful place so we hear, but way too busy for us. So far our research seems to be pointing towards bahia de caraquez ecuador. Read up on it as we have. Our plans to date include spending 3 weeks in early January 2016 and do a lot more research once there. Keep us posted on what you find and we'll do the same.
Roberto & Marsha

Thanks so much - keep in touch!!

VickyF wrote:

I just retired and am interested in wintering in the Manta area.  Any suggestions as to how I can seek out 3 - 6 month rentals that are pet friendly and close to the water?

Apartment-hunt when you get back to Ecuador.  If you try to do it online, you won't know for sure what you're getting...and could be scammed.

I would follow Rollly´s advice to consider Bahía, which uniformly gets positive reviews on this fórum, rather than Manta, "the Baltimore of Ecuador."

cccmedia in Quito

More like Brownsville (TX). or El Paso.

cccmedia wrote:

Rollly´s advice to consider Bahía, which uniformly gets positive reviews on this fórum, rather than Manta, "the Baltimore of Ecuador."

cccmedia in Quito

Manta would have to improve some to reach Baltimore status.
No major league baseball, no super Bowl champion football
Royal Caribbean cruises out of Baltimore, not Manta
How about that Manta airport?

Manta must have some reedeming qualities considering there are some expats living there as evidenced by a few websites dedicated to them.

What they are, I do not know.

Nards Barley wrote:

Manta must have some reedeming qualities considering there are some expats living there as evidenced by a few websites dedicated to them.

What they are, I do not know.

www.mantaexpatsonline.comwww.mantaexpatsonline.com/Web_Sites.html

Vicky,I live on the beach in Manta. Beachfront or proximity here is relatively expensive
compared to other Ecuador locations. New 1 bedroom hi-rise condos are renting in the $1000-1200
range per mo. There are other options depending on haw much you are prepared to pay and what
amenities you may require. ( washer-dryer, stairs, etc.+ pet acceptance ). I am not a realtor but am familiar with the property market. If you give a list of your requirements,what is flexible and what not,
I may be able to assist.
My regards,
John Fisher

JOHN FISHER wrote:

Vicky,I live on the beach in Manta. Beachfront or proximity here is relatively expensive
compared to other Ecuador locations. New 1 bedroom hi-rise condos are renting in the $1000-1200
range per mo. There are other options depending on haw much you are prepared to pay and what
amenities you may require. ( washer-dryer, stairs, etc.+ pet acceptance ). I am not a realtor but am familiar with the property market. If you give a list of your requirements,what is flexible and what not,
I may be able to assist.
My regards,
John Fisher

Pay that much to live in Manta?
If you could afford that, why not live elsewhere?

We HAD to live in Manta as our "builder" took 5 months longer to finish our place than what we expected. Did not like it, the rent is outrageous and it is dirty

Playas is NOT pretty either. Had a very disappointing visit there

Salinas is not bad but very noisy on the weekends, deadly quiet on the week days

Bahia and Canoa have expats, if that is what you are looking for and the north coast in MUCH prettier

This is my 2 cents

I suppose that no one has to live in Manta,but many of us that do
find it a comfortable small city. It lacks the colonial charm of Cuenca
but for us flatlanders, living at and on the sea is a bonus. As is the year
round temperate weather and pretty much daily sunshine. We can walk to
a variety of good restaurants,shop at two Supermaxi's,which are about as
close as you will come to a North-American grocery store. Taxi's are cheap,
we have a regional airport, a hospital and many clinics,and ocean breezes
to keep us cool. But as you pointed out, no one has to live in Manta.

We rented  in a great house in Canoa on the beach, &'are heading back next month, there are a couple of nice places in Canoa. We are heading back next month for two months. We are building a house with a casita on the beach as well so family can stay,  not ready till Xmas though. Happy to rent out to the right person.  Will post when ready.

Check out Vistazul condos in San Clemente about 30 minutes north of Manta
We were there for 3 months this year and we paid $800US $ per month
It is one block from the ocean. In Mamta you would pay $1,500 to 2,000 per month

Thanks John but that is more than I can pay for rent and maintain my home in Canada.  All I need is a one bedroom fully furnished and pet friendly (small dog).  Doesn't have to be on the beach but within walking distance.  I appreciate you checking into things for me. 

Vicky

Vicky,there are clean,furnished off--beach, but walking distance apartments
available in the $5-600 range.

Vicky on the coast in Canoa $500 a month. Lovely little casitas.

Canoa casitas, $500. mo.sounds interesting. I would like to know more
about these units. Location,information ?

On the beach, 1.5km (1M) from the village. A couple of different people rent them out. A really nice house on the beach as well. The guy that owns the Canoa beach hotel knows most of the owners. They do advertise on a couple of web sites as well. It's more word of mouth. We will be there, end of July. For a few months.

I'm agree with John.  Do you have more info?

Thanks

Gracias,voy a ir para ver.

Check out, Santa Marianita. I just spoke to a lady that is paying $400 p/m for a two bedroom apartment. SM is 15 minutes south of Manta on a beautiful beach. Also  many expats live here. I personally live in Manta in a condo building called, Nerea. There are units that are for rent, and I will inquire on pricing for anyone who is interested. Although the $1,500 to $2,000 p/m sounds incorrect.
Regards, Frank

Frank,the figure I quoted for new Manta apartment rentals was $1000-1200 range per mo.