Teaching English in Busan?

Hello,

I am an English and French bi-national bi-lingual female born and raised in France who just graduated from a French university with a BA in English and Education. As I have been learning Korean on my own for the past 6 years, I would like to go settle in Busan as an English Teacher. Having been studying Korean for so long, I made contacts thanks to which I might find a job, but the problem is the visa.

I have -of course- looked up the conditions under which people could apply for the E2 visa, as it seems to be the one I would need. However, although I am a fully-fledged British citizen(by descent), as my degree is degree is French I am apparently not considered a native of English, and thence cannot apply for an E2 visa. My question is, how strict are those rules?

I have heard about this or that friend who -being a white female- passed for a native and taught English illegally, but I just can't see myself try and do that. Would my application even be considered -as I did major in English on top of being English- or would they outright discard it because of my university? The immigration office apparently only answers inquiries regarding visas in person, and I can't possibly see myself fly all the way there to have an answer which -even if positive- would have me go back to France or England to apply for the E2 visa..

Has anybody heard of similar cases? Does anybody know how the immigration office works?

Teajessie wrote:

Hello,

I am an English and French bi-national bi-lingual female born and raised in France who just graduated from a French university with a BA in English and Education. As I have been learning Korean on my own for the past 6 years, I would like to go settle in Busan as an English Teacher. Having been studying Korean for so long, I made contacts thanks to which I might find a job, but the problem is the visa.

I have -of course- looked up the conditions under which people could apply for the E2 visa, as it seems to be the one I would need. However, although I am a fully-fledged British citizen(by descent), as my degree is degree is French I am apparently not considered a native of English, and thence cannot apply for an E2 visa. My question is, how strict are those rules?

I have heard about this or that friend who -being a white female- passed for a native and taught English illegally, but I just can't see myself try and do that. Would my application even be considered -as I did major in English on top of being English- or would they outright discard it because of my university? The immigration office apparently only answers enquiries regarding visas in person, and I can't possibly see myself fly all the way there to have an answer which -even if positive- would have me go back to France or England to apply for the E2 visa..

Has anybody heard of similar cases? Does anybody know how the immigration office works?

[Edited 2 years later] Seeing as I can't seem to delete my own post, I'll just answer to it now that I have the answer, in case anyone else is wondering:
- The immigration office in Seoul holds onto those rules like a lifeline, they is no way around it (I'm talking about having to be an English native speaker to get the E2 visa to teach English in South Korea)
- You can find a job as a teacher or as pretty much anything else if you're on a residency visa (which you can apply for through a "point system" after one year on any other work visa, Working Holiday visa excluded)
- If you can find a sponsor and you fit the criteria for the job you'd be doing, you can apply for an E-7 "special worker" visa (it usually involves having either a bachelor's + 2 years minimum of experience in the same field as both your degree and the job you're applying for, or a master's degree in the same field as the job you're applying for, the documents have to be apostilled and they can ask for tax forms to prove that you have worked that long if your application seems suspicious)