You say Hello and we say Goodbye

Dear Expat-Blog friends
It is with great sadness that we bid you farewell from Riyadh.
While we were away on our vacation to Greece, Bill was sent 17,000km back to Australia to renew his visa which expired in the middle of Eid. After he arrived,his client notified Bill's Area Manager, that a change of leadership was required and Bill was not to return to the office. This under handed and wimpish attitude highlighted the style of management Bill faced daily during his 6 month stay here.
You can read the whole saga on my blog Jeannie's Arabia (entries are titled, 'The Game's Up' and 'The Naked Emperor-A Pragmatic Approach'
MusicMan, I am writing this from Greece, where I innocently stayed behind while Bill went back to renew his visa in Australia.
Our Company, has licked and scraped at the feet of the Arab client, using Bill as a 'scapegoat' and now leaving us living out of a suitcase-without a job-and without accommodation.
We were given the opportunity to basically return to Riyadh - to say, our goodbyes but I could not stomach the trip back in (I'm also suffering a major ear infection)and have chosen to say my peace here where everyone can read it and be warned about the type of situation you can face, not only in Riyadh, but as an expat.
Many of you may have heard me share how we innocently took a two-week vacation to Thailand inbetween assignments,(our belongings in a container on a UAE port)only to be informed that the position had been cancelled and the project(India) suspended!

To make matters worse, today, Bill's father wrote and told us he has incurable cancer (that has metastised into his bones) and has only a short time to live.
As soon as I am well I will return to Melbourne and together we will visit him.
I want to thank all those people here I got to know, especially my very first contact - AllieCat (back in March); Nonse - who was ready to help me move into my villa Oct 1; Salman - who offered wise advice; MusicMan - who was waiting eagerly for the house warming party; JillnDave - for his great hospitality; Shahab - who I got to meet on one of our excursions and CAF - who took me in and befriended me and with our spouses we had some great times laughing, sharing our cares and woes and encouraging each other to 'hang in there'. I'm sorry I won't be able to hug you all goodbye, yet, never expected such a large and reputable company to act in such an infantile manner.(I must remind myself that they were desert dwellers sixty short years ago.)

We don't know where tomorrow will lead us, but we are not quitters..you will be sure that we will go on, in a different country, perhaps, and certainly we'll 'meet again' through Expat-blog.com

Have a wonder-filled life!

Praise God, I'm free

Peace,
Bill and Ginnie Tucker

Ginny, I am so sorry about this and we will truly miss you and Bill.  It's difficult to find friends in this place and you were one of a handful, never to be replaced.

I know you'll land on your feet--they say that when God closes a door, He opens a window.  Good luck in finding that window quickly.

As for working here in Saudia and the underhanded things some companies do, nothing would surprise me.  I've heard of people being informed at work that their bags have been packed and a driver is waiting to take them to the airport (due to a perceived 'wrong-doing').

One must always be prepared to be screwed-over.  In fact, I've witnessed a few Saudi's being screwed-over.  This just adds to the stress with which we all live here.

The upside is that no matter where you land, it will be an easier place to live than KSA.  But for us, we'll miss you :(

Hey Alliecat,

It was good knowing you, despite the challenges, we faced, I'm happy  we got to share a few laughs together.

I think we have all taken an intelligent approach and done our best to make Riyadh our home.. I'm still remembering how Mr Stretch
moved on after his professional method was not accepted in his work situation.

The Saudi's ask for our help: we bring our best businesses practice (and in Bill's case - almost 30 years of experience) only to be dumped.

Go figure

For all the young Saudi's working out there - I hope you have an opportunity to work in a western situation and see that (most of us) have a moral work ethic.

Big hug

Keep up the good fight

Yes, God will make a way where there seems to be no way :)

love, Ginnie

Oh my God! What a sad day this is. While what you have just explained does not surprise me one bit it is still sad to see such wonderful people like you two having to leave before you could even settle down.

I was, so much, looking forward to that housewarming party in Sulaimaniyah. Shirani will be devastated when I tell her.

Well, the bottom line here is that some people just do not want to learn and change for the better even when they know there is a window of opportunity knocking on their nations door.

Good luck guys and please do stay in touch and give us a shout if you need any camel milk....

At least now you wont be short of your Vegemite, sweety?

True, MusicMan

Pretty sad..
Some people just don't want to learn...
Guess we will just have to have our 'party' here on expat-blog

All the very best to you and Shirani

Thank you for your friendship

We can do it in Athens during the next Eid Holidays?

:cheers:

I'll book the taverna now lol

I am gutted, sat here aghast.
Sometimes the shitty side of life here hits us.
I hope that things work out for you both.

Too stunned to think.

God bless,

Dave

Hey Dave

We had heard the storiesand witnessed others who had been shafted within 48 hours, but never believed it would happen  this way..Bill kept a tight, professional manner yet, the client can do what he likes

Appreciate the sentiment, and will remember your generosity every time Bill wears one of his 'Batha' shirts

Hang in there

God bless

Ginnie

So sad to hear about what happened to you...and I can surely sympathize.

The best of the new world to you, for surely this means there is a smiling adventure still ahead.

Enjoy the time with your father-in-law while you have it and push on. There is a pot of gold at the end of some rainbows.

Just like everyone said, this "is" a sad turn of events.

Needless of me telling you Gennie, you need to be strong for Bill. we really are going to miss you.

I don't have many words to express myself. but God Speed. all the best to you and Bill. I pray that your future will brighter then it was anywhere else.

Salman

Mr Stretch,
within 24 hrs of being 'terminated', Bill heard about his father and so, we have had something more important and urgent to focus on and now we are also able to be free to go and spend some time with him. I have also spent the last three weeks editing his vast autobiography and I have this to focus on so that itcan be published as soon as possible.
Life is full of rainbows and I know there will be another again

Salman,
If it were not for this throbbing ear infection I would have left for Australia today. Bill is a professional, yet he is doubly saddened by his father's illness and the coldness of his dismissal. We win and lose over and over again and tomorrow we celebrate our 26th Wedding Anniversary...partners for life and onward to the next adventure
May you find the love of your life!

Ginnie

awww wish you guys the very best and may the rigors of life rest easy on you, take care n god bless!

Ginnie

I can't even  being to understand and appreciate your sadness and the bitterness you must be feeling.  But in your heart, you know everything in life happens for a reason, even when we don't quite understand.  You and Bill are two of the strongest people we have met, so I know things will be ok.  So hang in there!   Chin up, keep the faith and know that we are here for you.  You will be in our thoughts and prayers, along with Bill's father and the rest of your family.
I will PM you and we can chat further, sort through some issues and hopefully come up with a game plan for moving forward.  I've sent you a note on Skype.

Is there anything we can do to assist in shipping the belongings that were left here?

Very Sad.

We will miss you both.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help?

This is crazy I dont believe how could the companies behave so unprofessionally. :mad:

I dont know how i missed this Post:( and just got to see this.I have no words to express my feelings against this.It must have been a shocking news for u guys.

Hi Ioanna,

New to this board so never had the pleasure of meeting you both. That's horrific news. I hope that you can get back to Melbourne to be with your family soon.

One thing that's been proven to me in my time so far as an Expat is that there is great strength in the community and you have friends for life.

I like your sentiment about life being full of rainbows. I hope you find it around the next corner.

Mailman13

All

Ginnie and Bill are doing better.  She is on her way back to Melbourne today.  Not sure what the future will bring for them due to the turmoil of late, but lets keep them all in our prayers!

CAF,if u talk to the couple Plz let them know that I have got a believe that God has decided something better than this and Some thing far improved than their previous Job.

Will do Nonz!  And Im sure she will be back with us here on the forum soon when thing settle down.

dont know much to say loanna but I am pretty sure things will be better than fine in the near future... Really cant say more as i hate saying bye...

Hi friends!
I'm back home in Melbourne reunited with my family and waking up to bird song and the laughter of my grandchilden.
This has helped me focus on what is really important in life and like Nonz, believe there is something better in store for us. (Thank you Nonz)
Shahab, I too hate saying goodbye-especially when I was just getting to say hello to you all but I will keep you posted on how life pans out for us.
As Mailman 13 says, there is great strength in the community of expat friends and I have always found help and support on this site too..we understand the struggle far better than some family members at home do!
Riyadh is the most difficult place we were posted to but it is filled with some great people who know how to have fun!
It's still sad to think I'm not there anymore....

Post again soon,

Thanks to all who have responded to this

Be happy
:)

may the force be with you, Ginny!

Well, you know we're gonna miss you, Ginny, but as long as you land on your feet, you're lucky to be out of here, methinks.

Being with family and hearing birds sing--you have given me lovely visions of home :)

The only birds we hear singing here are the Mut-Birds....

So u r Home finally and I am sure u guys gonna find something really good.We gonna miss beautiful eyes :)

Keep your eyes on the Kangaroo Crossings!

Ginnie - I love the new pic!  Hugs to both of you!  Enjoy each day!!!  :cheers:

musicman wrote:

Keep your eyes on the Kangaroo Crossings!

while watch the Camels go by....