Extend visa for expat in Ho Chi Minh City

Hi all members and friends in Expat.com forum,

My friend as foreigner come to VN with the visa for travelling and it will be expired in next 10 days. I would like to ask the procedure to extend the visa for my friend, and what is the longest time he could be here.

If there is any service offered pls advice the fee and the time.

Many thanks and hope you have a very nice day!

I recently extend my visa.. the service took 5 days  , just need passport and money to preceed it.
Pm me for futher info.

Dear Varinderpal,

I just pm you. Pls check your inbox.

Thank you.
Hellen

Visa could be extended to 3 months or 6 months and it depends on your friend's nationality too. I could help you more in the matter. Please pm and get full information.
Cheers,

Tommy

Tommyvtt wrote:

Visa could be extended to 3 months or 6 months and it depends on your friend's nationality too. I could help you more in the matter. Please pm and get full information.
Cheers,

Tommy

As the forum is all about the free exchange of information please post any such information on this section of the forum so that others can also take advantage of it. 
Are you an agent of some kind perhaps ??

Tommyvtt wrote:

Cheers,

Tommy

You cant get 6 months extension on a tourist visa, you shouldnt post misleading information.

colinoscapee wrote:
Tommyvtt wrote:

Cheers,

Tommy

You cant get 6 months extension on a tourist visa, you shouldnt post misleading information.

Dear Colinoscapee,

It means my friend only can extend 3 months more with tourist visa, right? And how much for the fee, pls advise.

Thank you.

On a standard tourist visa he will get three months extension. I only know of one place in Saigon as they also have an office in Vung Tau.Ring Miss Thuong 0902 604139, I havent done a visa extension in quite awhile so Im not sure of the exact cost, ring her she was quite helpful when I spoke with her. But also get some other quotes.

colinoscapee wrote:

On a standard tourist visa he will get three months extension. I only know of one place in Saigon as they also have an office in Vung Tau.Ring Miss Thuong 0902 604139, I havent done a visa extension in quite awhile so Im not sure of the exact cost, ring her she was quite helpful when I spoke with her. But also get some other quotes.

Thank you so much for your information!

Actually might be difficult now.
I took my passport last week to get my tourist visa extended.
The agent (FISC) came back to me and said I could only get a 15 day extension.
I had it extended for three months once before.
It looks like I have leave soon.
I hope you have better luck than me.
Look up Chi's cafe D1, HCM on the web, she does visas. (not the one I used this time)

Redbeard42 wrote:

Look up Chi's cafe D1, HCM on the web, she does visas. (not the one I used this time)

You trying to get a second extension or they said just 15 days since the rules have changed.

I already received an extension in March.
This would have been the second extension.
I have not been told any reason why I can only get a 15 extension this time.

Redbeard42 wrote:

Dear Redbeard,

I have contacted some travel agents and they said that it is possible to extend visa with the time as 3 months more. I also don't know why you only get 15 days for extention. I think you should double check about this via the other agent or come directly to immigration department in HCMC (196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai).

Thanks!

re visa if you come with any visa 1 day 1 week 1 month 3 months, what I read here is you can extend any of these to 3 months  ?? yes?    :/

Redbeard42 wrote:

There is the problem, as of January this year they changed all the visa laws Again.They only want to extend once then leave the country, as usual this will change once they realise its not working very well.

Hi everyone,
After checking with some travel agents and come directly to immigration department I got the information and would like to share here. With visa as "DL" we can extend 3 more months and must be processed by travel agent. The fee is less than $200, take time 7 working days.

While searching I have known there is one kind of visa as "VR visa" for visiting relatives, other purpose. I would like to ask everyone here is there anyone have experience to make the paper about this, and is it ok in case visit friend? This kind of visa with duration is up to 6 months. I think this information  quite useful for expats in Vietnam.

Hellen Thao Vy wrote:

Hi everyone,
After checking with some travel agents and come directly to immigration department I got the information and would like to share here. With visa as "DL" we can extend 3 more months and must be processed by travel agent. The fee is less than $200, take time 7 working days.

While searching I have known there is one kind of visa as "VR visa" for visiting relatives, other purpose. I would like to ask everyone here is there anyone have experience to make the paper about this, and is it ok in case visit friend? This kind of visa with duration is up to 6 months. I think this information  quite useful for expats in Vietnam.

To apply VR visa, your friend must have sponsor in Vietnam. and that sponsor should go directly to Immigration Department to proccess this visa.

KathyBrown1410 wrote:
Hellen Thao Vy wrote:

Hi everyone,

To apply VR visa, your friend must have sponsor in Vietnam. and that sponsor should go directly to Immigration Department to proccess this visa.

Thank you so much for your information!

http://blog.rushvietnamvisa.com/blog/20 … cation=ufi

I thought I might goto the immigration department but when my GF called a friend working there. She said they dont want to see foreigners there, just the agents.

Redbeard42 wrote:

http://blog.rushvietnamvisa.com/blog/2014/11/19/law-472014qh13-law-entry-exit-transit-residence-foreigners-vietnam/?hc_location=ufi

I thought I might goto the immigration department but when my GF called a friend working there. She said they dont want to see foreigners there, just the agents.

Because they only extend once, not second time, so maybe this is the reason why you can only get 15 days

That seems to be my understanding as well. Wish they told me sooner though!!

KathyBrown1410 wrote:
Hellen Thao Vy wrote:

Hi everyone,

My friends VEC expired and he was unfortunately issued a VRC, $50, which only gives him 6 months, if he was issued a TT, (12 months, he's married to a VN, ), he got have applied for a TRC. ( 3 yrs ).

bluenz wrote:
KathyBrown1410 wrote:
Hellen Thao Vy wrote:

Hi everyone,

My friends VEC expired and he was unfortunately issued a VRC, $50, which only gives him 6 months, if he was issued a TT, (12 months, he's married to a VN, ), he got have applied for a TRC. ( 3 yrs ).

Thanks for your information.

for any who didn't see this in previous posts http://www.ey.com/GL/en/Services/Tax/Hu … -from-2015     and   http://blog.rushvietnamvisa.com/blog/20 … s-vietnam/  Please read the 2nd one carefully,, 3 or 4 times is a good idea as it is convoluted and there may be applicable clauses. LOL Mark  P;s the tourism industry seems to be suffering possibley as a result of the new laws but more likely because of misinterpretation within government departments    http://vietnamvisa.sg/vietnam-new-immigration-law/

KathyBrown1410 wrote:
Hellen Thao Vy wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is it as easy as you make it sound?  Just get your sponsor ( Vietnamese girlfriend) to do the paper work and VR will be issued?

colinoscapee wrote:
Redbeard42 wrote:

There is the problem, as of January this year they changed all the visa laws Again.They only want to extend once then leave the country, as usual this will change once they realise its not working very well.

I have found this not be the case as I have just had my 3 month single entry B3 extended for the second time since the new categories came into force. I think I slipped through the net as the B3 was issued in Dec '14 but will have to go for a DL next time in Sep when I apply again in Phnom Penh.  Unless I can get a 6 month VR that Kathy Brown makes sound so easy to get without mentioning the cost.

cabraman wrote:
KathyBrown1410 wrote:
Hellen Thao Vy wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is it as easy as you make it sound?  Just get your sponsor ( Vietnamese girlfriend) to do the paper work and VR will be issued?

"VR visa" for visiting relatives, other purpose.      What is this " other " purpose?  VR is usually for relatives.

cabraman wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Redbeard42 wrote:

I have found this not be the case as I have just had my 3 month single entry B3 extended for the second time since the new categories came into force. I think I slipped through the net as the B3 was issued in Dec '14 but will have to go for a DL next time in Sep when I apply again in Phnom Penh.  Unless I can get a 6 month VR that Kathy Brown makes sound so easy to get without mentioning the cost.

All these rules were introduced in January, but not enforced until May 1.

bluenz wrote:
cabraman wrote:
KathyBrown1410 wrote:

"VR visa" for visiting relatives, other purpose.      What is this " other " purpose?  VR is usually for relatives.

Yes, "other purpose" could mean anything which is what got me interested.  I asked  Kathy Brown about it and await a reply.

did you read all the links at 24 ?????

MarkinNam wrote:

This must be the " other purposes "???? Its the only other reference to a VR Visa,  but as usual it will be up to the immigration dept on how things are interpreted. 

Article 26. Transit by sea

Foreigners that transit by sea are not required to obtain a visa and must stay within the transit passenger area of the seaport while the ship is anchoring; any of them who wishes to enter Vietnam for the purpose of tourism according to a schedule designed by an international tourism company in Vietnam; any of them who wishes to leave Vietnam through another border checkpoint shall be considered to be issued with a VR visa.

- See more at: - blog.rushvietnamvisa.com/blog/2014/11/19/law-472014qh13-law-entry-exit-transit-residence-foreigners-vietnam/#sthash.W5gTBBcR.dpuf

bluenz wrote:
MarkinNam wrote:

This must be the " other purposes "???? Its the only other reference to a VR Visa,  but as usual it will be up to the immigration dept on how things are interpreted. 

Article 26. Transit by sea

Foreigners that transit by sea are not required to obtain a visa and must stay within the transit passenger area of the seaport while the ship is anchoring; any of them who wishes to enter Vietnam for the purpose of tourism according to a schedule designed by an international tourism company in Vietnam; any of them who wishes to leave Vietnam through another border checkpoint shall be considered to be issued with a VR visa.

- See more at: - blog.rushvietnamvisa.com/blog/2014/11/19/law-472014qh13-law-entry-exit-transit-residence-foreigners-vietnam/#sthash.W5gTBBcR.dpuf

Yesterday I said that I had my B3 extended for the second time, but I jumped the gun when I said that because I knew my agent was going to deliver my passport within 24 hrs My gf does the bizzo for me with our agent and she told me he was getting the B3 extended for the second time. He delivered my passport to her this morning and to my surprise it was a VR but only 3 months, and for the $135 he quoted for my B3.  I asked the gf if she had asked him for the VR and she said no, she asked for the B3 to be extended. Turns out he got me the VR because my B3 could not be extended a second time.  As I said, my gf does the bizzo for me so I can,t say more than that, but the agent is in HCMC, his name is  Khoa and his number is 0916701771 for those who may be interested.

That's interesting, they never mention a 3 month VR, and now we know a GF can be a relative , or " other  purposes "? Although nearly 3 times the price of a 6 month VR.

bluenz wrote:

That's interesting, they never mention a 3 month VR, and now we know a GF can be a relative , or " other  purposes "? Although nearly 3 times the price of a 6 month VR.

Sorry, I don,t understand your last sentence.  I was quoted $135 for a B3 extension for 3 months and got a VR visa for the same price.

cabraman wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Sorry, I don,t understand your last sentence.  I was quoted $135 for a B3 extension for 3 months and got a VR visa for the same price.

A 6 month VR costs $50, a 12 month TT costs $95, I think your agent will be your friend for some time now. But at least you're ok for another 3 months.

bluenz wrote:
cabraman wrote:
bluenz wrote:

A 6 month VR costs $50, a 12 month TT costs $95, I think your agent will be your friend for some time now. But at least you're ok for another 3 months.

I,m willing to be friends with the person who quoted $50 for the 6 month VR  :par:  Tell me more

cabraman wrote:
bluenz wrote:
cabraman wrote:

I,m willing to be friends with the person who quoted $50 for the 6 month VR  :par:  Tell me more

That's what it cost's if your GF does it, ( that's if that is what " other purposes " means?? ). I had a friend change from his expired VEC to a VR, ( he's married to a VN ), and he paid $50, ( did it himself ), but he should have applied for a TT visa and would have been eligible for a TRC for 3yrs, but he wasn't told this then.

bluenz wrote:
cabraman wrote:
bluenz wrote:

That's what it cost's if your GF does it, ( that's if that is what " other purposes " means?? ). I had a friend change from his expired VEC to a VR, ( he's married to a VN ), and he paid $50, ( did it himself ), but he should have applied for a TT visa and would have been eligible for a TRC for 3yrs, but he wasn't told this then.

Thanks for the tip :top:  We,ll be down to HCMC before this VR expires, so she can pop in to immigration and get the details

Hi,
So the VR is only $50 for 6 months. ???
Is it multiple entry and how easy to extend.   Can it be applied for within the country. 

Sounds like a bargain.

Yogi007 wrote:

Hi,
So the VR is only $50 for 6 months. ???
Is it multiple entry and how easy to extend.   Can it be applied for within the country. 

Sounds like a bargain.

It's an expensive replacement for the VEC, must be the same , ( multi ), and should be able to be renewed without leaving VN. Changing to it will depend on what Visa you already have of course. OR maybe it's only when an old Visa expires??? ( i.e VEC ).
" After the 2013 implementations of a new Labor Code and a new decree on the management of foreign workers in Vietnam, the Vietnamese National Assembly has now approved a new immigration law that will come into effect on January 1, 2015. Most notably the new law introduces 20 different visa categories, appears to ban in-country conversion from one visa category to another, and provides new conditions under which a foreign national will be barred from entering or exiting the country ."