Visa; Jobs; Cost Of Living

Hi Members,

I had noticed many members had been asking about visas; cost of living and jobs in this forum.

Information posted by kind members are there, therefore go to the subject and read about it.

It's funny to ask questions on cost of living because everyone is different. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Some can just live in a small studio apartment; eat food from the road side stall; take public bus; drink spirit alcohol.

Some may love to have steak or dine in restaurant, drive their own car or motorbike or take a taxi; drink wine or cognac or scot or imported beer.

Thus cost of living is totally different. If you can't speak thai then you sure have problems living in local areas and shop around there. You may have problem talking to the barber too just for a hair cut.

Every thai city cost is different and you need to experience it yourself.

Some people like to party then there are different cost again subject to the places.

Some like travel in Thailand and price is different again subject to the type of hotels you choose. Mode of travel cost is different again, self drive or bus or train or plane.

I am sure this applies to all countries in the world too for I had a fair share of traveling to different continents.

In fact many information can be search from web sites. There are diplomatic channels; chamber of commerce and social clubs of respective countries. Information are available there too if you look for it.

As for jobs, every country in the world will protect their own citizens first. Those jobs that their own locals refuse to work will be open to foreigners. Needless to say are low salary and hard labour.

You get good benefits and salary only if your expertise are needed. You can even forget about accounting; doctors and lawyers.

Being English teachers is no longer a luxury job now as those are filled up before the teachers are here. Usually these teachers are in well known international schools.

Thai government schools do have foreign teachers but perks are like bread crumbs.

As for English speaking international
marketing staff, the vacancies are limited. The Filipinos can accept salary like the locals so westerners cannot.

The Chinese from China can get jobs as local companies need them to communicate with Chinese in China as goods are import from there.

Many Chinese from China do business here and have companies or shops.

If you want to work here, easy way out is do your own business.

Hi Rejoice

I tend to agree with the majority of what you have written about the cost of living.

However some things are a similar price for everyone, for example the cost of a bus or train ticket. Electricity and water are charged at a set unit price by the local PEA or Metropolitan Authority if in Bangkok. It's usually unscrupulous landlords that hike the price!

Likewise motoring costs(petrol/diesel/Insurance road tax) are the same in Hat Yai as they are in Chiang Mai.

The major difference in the cost of living for individuals in my opinion is really down to personal preferences as to where we live(cost of rent) and how we spend money on what I would class as entertainment.

Of course as you point out it does help to speak and read Thai to get the best deals. But I am not fluent and I can probably read to the standard of a 10/11 year old! But I get by OK living a long way from tourist Thailand.

BTW my barber doesn't speak a word of English  :D

Your thoughts?

Yes electricity and water is actually same cost but if one lives in apartment, the owner will jack up the prices. Likewise for land line telephone. Apartments may not let you use LPG gas tank.

Yes, transport is same price though but different people have different choice. 1 may like comfort and go by taxi while another take the bus. So cost of living is different again.

I'm a non smoker and hardly drink beer or wine or alcohol. So my cost is lower than those who need to drink.

But my cost goes up as I do enjoy fine dining at times. I buy original DVD movies and collect them. When compare to one who eat by the road always and hardly see movies then his cost of living is lower.

I wrote about this subject as I had seen many people keep asking the cost of living in Thailand. Among europeans and in different European countries cum cities, cost of living is different. Next comes personal preference. The best way to know is experience it yourself.

To survive in any country is being street smart even one doesn't know the language. You may know the language but a moron or outstanding sign as a tourist then one sure pay for expensive stuff anywhere.

GOD gave everyone a head with brain and not a coconut with water. We are given eyes; ears and mouth so use it.

If one is forgetful, make changes and take notes etc.

In simple terms - fittest survive.

Don't expect to be spoon fed but experience it with knocks and bumbs then you are wiser.

I made lots of mistakes when I came here in 1997. But every mistake, I changed and adjust. If I made the same mistake, I knock my own head. If I do made the same mistake 3 times, I called myself a damn fool because that person is smarter than me or I'm so forgetful.

Life is challenging and interesting whereby neither Hatvard or Oxford or Cornell or Curtin or Yale or Cambridge or any universities can teach you.

Enjoy life with mistakes and stand up.