New to Grand Baie

I've recently moved here from London with my 4 year old son...wondering if there's any clubs/activities in English for kids expat mums in the area can recommend? He's getting rather bored and I'm still undecided as to schooling options so something to keep him entertained in the interim would be great.

Thanks,

Sarah

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not promote external groups please

Hi Sarahis,

Hope you are doing good! :-) Maybe you can send your son to this club/gym where he can perform different activities and make new friends.

Here is its website:

riverland.mu/index.php?page=the-club-nord

It is situated at Grand Baie itself! :-)

Cheers,

Asheel

Thanks for the tip...will check it out!

Have a look at the Funky Monkey coffee shop, they have a ball system game suited for his age, he can have a lot of fun there! It's situated along the main road of Pointe aux Canonniers, close to the bakery and vis a vis La Maison Colonial funiture shop.

...else the beach also remains a nice attractive option :-) Mont Choisy, Trou aux Biches, La Cuvette, Pereybere etc.

Hi Sarah,

I moved here last December and got into the same situation with my 7 year old Son. Before he got to school, he got very bored, there aren't that many children entertainment centres here. And most, if not all restaurants aren't child friendly.

Luckily he started school but then again, school ends at 2:45 and 12:45 on Wednesday, so the whole evening ... bored again. I signed him up to piano on Tuesdays and Thursdays for an hour; then after? Bored again!

I've come to find out the best thing to do is to meet people with kids and organise group activities, playdates and sleepovers for them. So you have pretty much every day booked. I don't know how it was back in London but from Nairobi, my son used to have friends who live in the same and next 3 blocks. So he would just come and go as he wishes provided he does not leave the complex main gate. Such complex types residences are very few and far between. I rarely see kids playing in apartment parking lots.

Another alternative would be the kids play area in la croisette - I do that once a week on Friday evenings and let him run around under my watchful eye  :)  Then there is Funky Monkey as mentioned

All in all, It's a great place to raise kids if you ask me.

Hi Sarah, although not moved there yet, in the process. I will be there with my daughter 4 also for 5 weeks from July staying in Pereybere and know she would love some playdates. I know not a long term solution for you but maybe we can catch up.

I think funky monkey has moved to next to Fit club on Sotisse road - apparently its even better now!

And actually I think you will find restaurants a lot more child friendly than in London - mainly as Mauritius is very family orientated and I have observed Mauritian children behave really well when out in public!