What To Bring When Moving To Philippines And Visa Information

I'm about to move to the Philippines from the United States to retire and hopefully stay permanently. What household items should I pay to ship here and what things should I just buy after I arrive - i.e.: TVs, computers, stereos, kitchen appliances and typical dishes / silverware / pots & pans, etc...

Should I apply for a visa before leaving the USA or just extend my tourist visa after I get here? I am a USA citizen and not married to a Filipino or anything. I'd like to buy a condo here and get a retirement visa if I can - how does that work..??

Welcome to Expat.com, hopefully people on here will help point you in the right direction.
Have you ever been to the Philippines, and if so where and when?
Because of whats involved with getting a retirement visa dollar wise, you may want to be a tourist and extend that visa as you determine if and where you would like to retire.
I noticed beautiful women are the first item of your interests, so you did pick a good place.
I am married to a Filipina and we have a home in Ilocos Sur province in northern Luzon, so I may not be much help with visa info.  As long as I travel with my wife all I need is a passport and a copy of our marriage license to stay in the Philippines for one year without any more dealings with immigration.
Generally speaking it is not worth trying to take normal equipment and furniture to the Philippines, most everything can be purchased there.
Good Luck!!

First, you have made a good choice moving to Philippines. Where is complex decision.
Suggestions what to bring.  Everyone has idea cloths can be purchased in Philippines. Yes, if you are xsmall size in usa.  Hard to find a size in Philippines. My personal experience as a large in usa is xxxl here.  Pants and so on.
Visa, if your stay is long term take a look at this link and checkout the SRRVisa.  Was very easy to get. 
Good luck and welcome.

If you come as a tourist, and bring all your possessions with you, then you would be liable to tax and import duties when you bring them.

If you have a relevant visa, retirement etc., in place before you bring any possessions, then you get the import tax / dutyfree allowances.

Retirement Visa info: http://www.in-philippines.com/special-r … visa-srrv/

I looked at shipping things over, but decided to buy anything I needed once I settled.  I am happy that I didn't bring everything, as I moved around a lot, and will be going back after all eventually.

Buying clothes the right size was mentioned.  My experience first time was when buying a medium size shirt. Philippines Medium was too small, so was Large.  I needed XL.

However, at a different shop, size L was just right.  Lesson learned was to not trust sizes and try everything on.

ABCDiamond wrote:

I looked at shipping things over, but decided to buy anything I needed once I settled.  I am happy that I didn't bring everything, as I moved around a lot, and will be going back after all eventually.

Buying clothes the right size was mentioned.  My experience first time was when buying a medium size shirt. Philippines Medium was too small, so was Large.  I needed XL.

However, at a different shop, size L was just right.  Lesson learned was to not trust sizes and try everything on.

I think you're right - from everything I've been reading and also the fact that I'll probably be renting a fully furnished apartment - I'll just bring my clothes for now and maybe my laptop, cell phone and tablet. They all have TVs already that I've seen and at the most I may have to buy dishes and kitchenware... I hate moving in the States so why do it internationally, too..??

The visa situation - I'm just going to get my pet visa taken care of and then keep renewing the tourist visa for the three years - hopefully by then I'll have meet a nice Filipino lady and gotten married, had our 2.5 little half-Filipino kids and built a nice white picket fence around my flat while whistling Yankee Doodle Dandy!! haha There's no way I can afford to loan the Philippine Government $10K to hold onto indefinitely for the Retirement Visa!

I was looking at renting a condo but I'm seeing nice 2 bedroom houses renting dirt cheap - I saw one just yesterday in a very nice looking neighborhood that had a beautiful yard and was in great shape going for 5,000 pesos ($112 USD) so I sent the link to my skeptical friends and expect to see a herd of them showing up soon!! haha

Thanks for all of the input everyone - BTW! Much appreciated for sure!!

What area are you going to ?

Hi, Not sure what power voltage you have in the States. But they use 230-240 (Not very reliable) Volts in Philippines.

When looking for a filipina lady to marry, do yourself a favor and find one that has not been previously married. If you try to get an annulment the lawyers will take you to the cleaners. Good luck with your retirement!

barryalls wrote:

When looking for a filipina lady to marry, do yourself a favor and find one that has not been previously married. If you try to get an annulment the lawyers will take you to the cleaners. Good luck with your retirement!

A widow would be OK, ask to see the death certificate.
Widows of a marrying age usual have their own baggage, so still more difficult.
Good Luck!!

Most outlets here are set at 220-240 voltage. Don't bother bringing your tv's and other electrical appliances that are at 110-120 voltage. You will not be able to use them without a converter or a 110 outlet at your apartment.

About dinnerware and kitchenware, if you are particular about the brand / type, bring some from America. Popular international brands such as Corelle, Oneida, Victorinox sell here for 5x the price in the US. (A Corelle 16 pc dinnerware set that sells at US$30-40 at regular retail price in America is  PhP6k to 8k here.)

When you get here, you will find that there are items so commonly found in stores in the US but non existent here. I have yet to see a Nyquil or Neosporin here.

About clothes, bring what you currently have, but leave behind warm clothing. Do not buy new clothes for bringing here, especially shirts. In general, shirts from the US are of thicker material. You eventually might have to buy new lighter shirts here and store away the ones from the US. It's just so hot here.

barryalls wrote:

Hahahahahaha... Was it the icon picture that gave it away or what..?? Thanks for the advice! I am single and living in Hillbilly Haven USA with a population of single / attractive / available women of "0" so that's part of my reason for relocating... I always said when I retired I wanted to travel but I pictured my wife (the deserter - LOL) and I in a motorhome traveling across the USA looking for the end of a rainbow or a lost shaker of salt or..?? haha But this works, too, I guess..?? So what you're trying not to say is "Beware Of GOLD-DIGGERS!!" then..?? Gotcha!

Please let us know if, when and where you have been in the Philippines and where you intend to go in the Philippines so we can give you more specific and helpful information.

mugtech wrote:

Please let us know if, when and where you have been in the Philippines and where you intend to go in the Philippines so we can give you more specific and helpful information.

Well... I have never been there yet and would like to go to a fairly populated area in a good part (??) of town to play drums in a rock and roll band and chase beautiful women until I finally catch one that's a keeper..?? (Perhaps honesty isn't my best policy..?? haha) I have been looking at Cebu maybe since I understand that it is a very popular tourist area and I plan on trying to find a club that caters to live rock bands and tourists and hopefully become a part of the local music scene..?? If there is such a thing..?? If not... Maybe I will just surf and chase beautiful women until I catch one...?? HEY!! It's only rock and roll but I like it... YES, I DO!! haha

Cebu is very hot and very humid, if you never were in the Philippines or any place like it you best go as a tourist first and see what living there is about.  Also, what kind of monthly expenditures do you expect and are capable of?

mugtech wrote:

Cebu is very hot and very humid, if you never were in the Philippines or any place like it you best go as a tourist first and see what living there is about.  Also, what kind of monthly expenditures do you expect and are capable of?

Well, it's just me and my Yorkie (already working on his Pet Visa) and I get approx 180,000 pesos a month ($4,000 USD) from Social Security Disability and Disability Pension combined and I have no other bills to speak of. I plan on bringing my Roland V-Drums (electric) set with me and looking for a house band situation in a tourist friendly area just to pass the time along with surfing and chasing beautiful SINGLE and yet UNMARRIED women around the beach until I catch a keeper (so to speak) so... I'm wide open and grateful for any suggestions! I was thinking that a two bedroom condo in a skyscraper (with air conditioning) might be my style to stay close to the night life and have hot and cold running women there in the building...  :dumbom:

Also I was planning on coming as a tourist with minimal baggage - a few shorts & T-shirts, my tablet & cell phone, my drums and a little dog and staying until I either can't take it anymore or as Van Halen once put it: Until they send the local sheriff to drive me away... hahaha (Hopefully not the later but... Anything is possible..??) I usually make friends pretty easy and treat others with respect so I'm really hoping to find a comfortable area where I fit in and become one of the local attractions! (for my drumming but there's no such thing as bad publicity I heard so..??)

You have the income to live most anywhere, so condo air conditioning could be what you need.
Most would tell you Cebu may be a better pick than Manila for your prescribed life style.
I have heard some good all purpose rock bands on cruise ships from Cebu, and as long as you don't do your Keith Moon impressions you should do quite well, plenty of boomer expats to entertain.  You would be much more likely to meet the "keepers" in non-barroom settings.

@KrzyBikr,

As you prepare to move in this direction, make a list of Actions/Items that will need certain adjustments and or updates.  To start include:

*  Banking (direct deposits in USA only and Credit Card travel notification requirements).
*  PC & Apple - Try to keep or obtain the better PC's/ Apple devices that you are comfy with and make sure you bring external backup drives.
*  Cell phones - Try to keep any ATT, T-Mobile and selected Verizon units (that can handle GSM, 3G & 4G based non CDMA freqs).  A Verizon iPhone 5 or 6(S) is a great start because it has more freqs that work in multiple countries than ATT/T-Mobile.
*  Clothes, get your summer wardrobe updated in California where shoe & shirt sizes are as marked.
*  Money - Try not to remind any other person of your budget or retirement amount.  Try to live off of maybe P60-70K/month and keep the balance in your US Account.  I use Xoom to send my needs each month. 
*  Make sure your driver license is current and not ready to expire…
*  Consider a 2nd hand car and research the model that seems as close to a US model you like or want.  Try to stay away from JDM cars here. 

Regarding females -  Try to do NOTHING at first, they will find you.  If you are a party type and like bars, you find those that match that life.  If you are more into a focus on health and a future, you may want to try to make connections at a church or University.  Try very hard not to meet alone or in your place at first… may not turn out very well after a few days. 

In general, be very careful with new people, talking about a band, playing loud music and or other activities that may flag you as a rich party type …..   The higher your condo is in the air, the greater the expectation that you have $$$ to burn….   Consider rental in a more country setting where you use your "used car" to get to where your desired action may be located.

KrzyBikr wrote:

I plan on bringing my Roland V-Drums (electric) set with me and looking for a house band situation in a tourist friendly area just to pass the time along with surfing and chasing beautiful SINGLE and yet UNMARRIED women around the beach until I catch a keeper (so to speak) so... I'm wide open and grateful for any suggestions! I was thinking that a two bedroom condo in a skyscraper (with air conditioning) might be my style to stay close to the night life and have hot and cold running women there in the building...  :dumbom:

Midnight Rock Bar in Angeles City is something you may be looking at doing yourself... http://www.midnightrock.eu/  may be worth a visit and a chat with "Rockin' Dave Taylor".

Also plenty of night life and females, but no beach ;)
Decent Western Style accommodation is not cheap cheap though; a two bedroom condo in a skyscraper (8 floors) is about 80,000 pesos pm.  1 bedroom is half that.

Just a few notes …..   The condos here are "garbage" and may have a life expectancy of 30 years.. of course very few have any seismic ratings and most likely were built with 3K psi concrete where the plans were for 6K psi.  Many have 99% broken elevators or 95% non A/C cars where you bake on your way to the 25th floor. 

A car is a must and one that will allow you to reach many different cities without you equipment being exposed as you drive is a big +. 

In nearly all Manila condo locations, the P50-90K rental + association fees + electricity, + car rental slot fees will exceed P20-30K/month on top of the rental.  Many will charge you way more or steal your water/power as part of the game to get your big money in Manila.  You must try a few hotels until you get a car and drive around to the better places. 

Here in Tagaytay, I find life much better and a very nice large house can be rented for P30-40K/month.  :idontagree:  Many subdivisions are not even 20% full so you can find a house that is alone on the block where the next house is 4-6 lots away…  that gives a great distance for your practice time.  Do that in condos here and many will stand in line to complain to get you removed. 

You and your title buddy will be much happier on land with a yard and a house keeper than up in the sky in Manila.  :top:

Calif-Native wrote:

Just a few notes …..   The condos here are "garbage" and may have a life expectancy of 30 years.. of course very few have any seismic ratings and most likely were built with 3K psi concrete where the plans were for 6K psi.  Many have 99% broken elevators or 95% non A/C cars where you bake on your way to the 25th floor. 

A car is a must and one that will allow you to reach many different cities without you equipment being exposed as you drive is a big +. 

In nearly all Manila condo locations, the P50-90K rental + association fees + electricity, + car rental slot fees will exceed P20-30K/month on top of the rental.  Many will charge you way more or steal your water/power as part of the game to get your big money in Manila.  You must try a few hotels until you get a car and drive around to the better places. 

Here in Tagaytay, I find life much better and a very nice large house can be rented for P30-40K/month.  :idontagree:  Many subdivisions are not even 20% full so you can find a house that is alone on the block where the next house is 4-6 lots away…  that gives a great distance for your practice time.  Do that in condos here and many will stand in line to complain to get you removed. 

You and your title buddy will be much happier on land with a yard and a house keeper than up in the sky in Manila.  :top:

Tagaytay is a ways from the surf - but I was born and raised in Colorado so I kinda suck as a surfer anyway - however I do look pretty cool holding a long board... haha

A nice house with a yard would be pretty nice and I'm guessing you don't worry too much about typhoons either living that far inland.

KrzyBikr wrote:
Calif-Native wrote:

Tagaytay is a ways from the surf - but I was born and raised in Colorado so I kinda suck as a surfer anyway - however I do look pretty cool holding a long board... haha

A nice house with a yard would be pretty nice and I'm guessing you don't worry too much about typhoons either living that far inland.

Tagaytay has my eye also, as it is 90 minutes from Manila, 90 minutes the other direction to the beach, 2,000 feet elevation takes the edge off the summer heat.  The local swimmin' hole is a lake with a volcano in the middle.  Driving your own vehicle appears to be a requirement there, I intend to seriously check it out in October 2016.  No flooding to be worried about, but typhoons can go anywhere, although Tagaytay has not been hit lately, not like the central islands.

Calif-Native wrote:

Many will charge you way more or steal your water/power as part of the game to get your big money in Manila.

I will have to disagree with the elevator part of your statement.  I have stayed in many condos in Manila and around, but have not yet found one with a non working elevator, and have not noticed the heat in any either.  I have no doubt that there will be some, but your 99% / 95% seems like an exaggeration.
I have stayed at:
Sea Residences, Manila. New and nice.
Robinson Residences, Ermita. Nice.
Best Western Antel, Makati, Nice.
Sunette Tower, Makati.  Old but working lifts.
Belton Place, Makati. Nice condos and good lifts.
Icon Condominiums, Angeles City. The air conditioned lifts even work during power outages
:)

I've also looked in many others, and can honestly say that I have not found one where the lifts were not operational.  However, I have no doubt that there will be times that they are out of action, but even then, most will have at least 3 out of 4 working at most times.

I check my own electric readings and feel that most are reasonably accurate when I get the bills.  With Water either free or around 500 per month, I have never really considered checking that.

Regarding Tagatay, I have also been there, and it is a very tempting place to stay and maybe settle down. Quieter, cooler, and generally more relaxed and family orientated I feel.

I have no problems with your corrections… especially as it relates to renting high-end units for a few days/weeks.   Although I did not make it clear, most of my references were based on privately purchased condos now for rent in Alabang and a few in Makati area (not the daily, weekly rented higher end units you mentioned) but no matter, my comments could be a bit over on that topic and I stand corrected.

I wonder:
1.  In all the places you stayed or lived were you able to get even one official engineering report regarding actual seismic ratings of these condos? 
2.  Have you reviewed the proximity of these listed properties to the Marikina Valley Fault System aka the Valley Fault System or any reports on POTENTIAL LIQUEFACTION?
Note: According to PHIVOLCS, this fault line is already overdue for its “movement”. If this movement will happen, it is estimated that the quake can reach magnitude 7.2 with causalities predicted to be as high as 35,000 and some 120,000 more injured and more than 3 million people will need to be evacuated.

Calif-Native wrote:

I wonder:
1.  In all the places you stayed or lived were you able to get even one official engineering report regarding actual seismic ratings of these condos? 
2.  Have you reviewed the proximity of these listed properties to the Marikina Valley Fault System aka the Valley Fault System or any reports on POTENTIAL LIQUEFACTION?
Note: According to PHIVOLCS, this fault line is already overdue for its “movement”. If this movement will happen, it is estimated that the quake can reach magnitude 7.2 with causalities predicted to be as high as 35,000 and some 120,000 more injured and more than 3 million people will need to be evacuated.

I've never consider checking on earthquake proof suitability for nay of my stays anywhere. I doubt if many people do.

But until 4 weeks ago, the only reports available were not at a detailed enough level on the "Valley Fault System Atlas'.  Since mid May this year though, this is now available at street level, in case anyone wishes to check.

If people are worried though, I wonder how many Americans will return to San Francisco, to get away from the Earthquake scare in Manila.
According to official documents, almost all of the Philippines is at risk from the Fault lines running through the entire country.
http://philnews.ph/wp-content/uploads/2 … -Lines.jpg

Phivolcs said in the last 1,400 years, the 100km West Valley Fault (the potential 7.2 magnitude one) had moved on an interval of every 400 to 600 years. The last earthquake in the area occurred in 1658, or 357 years ago...
So, another is due sometime between 2058 and 2258...

The smaller 10km east Valley Fault moves between every 200-400 years and is the one mentioned as being overdue, maybe being the 1880 quake.
This one is quoted as being capable of generating up to a 6.2-magnitude earthquake and traverses Rodriguez and San Mateo in Rizal.

A magnitude 7.2 earthquake produces 10 times more ground motion than a magnitude 6.2 earthquake.

Some reports are linking this smaller one with the central Manila area one.

Phivolcs director Renato Solidum Jr said that all regions of the Philippines except for Palawan and parts of Sulu and Tawi-tawi are at great risk of earthquakes.

Evacuate the Philippines ???

Calif-Native wrote:

I have no problems with your corrections… especially as it relates to renting high-end units for a few days/weeks.

I don't consider those places to be high end, more mid level at about 30-40k per month.  Four of the Six I mentioned, I rented on a monthly basis for some months each. Most are owned or rented long term monthly, and many are occupied by Filipino families.

None are the type I would like to live long term, but the high end ones that I do like are way to expensive. The high end ones I looked at, in Manila, are are at least double what I could pay.

Some interesting comments, To sum it up there is a massive difference in accommodation and you will get what you pay for. Agree with keep your money safe offshore until you know what you are doing. Get 3 or 4 long term locals to give you advise before you commit. There are expat hustlers as well as unlimited filipino male and female. Legal battles are geared to take a lifetime so its best to measure 10 times and cut once. Then the cut will still be wrong unless you done it yourself. I have been involved with a large number of business and transactions here.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Bring a can of SPAM. Maybe a months supply. Filipinos love SPAM. It is a sure way to make friends. They may be gone when the spam is gone so if that happens go to the cupboard and get the HERSHEY CHOCOLATE. That's for the friends you want to keep...

He he he... My joke for the day. Smile everyone  :)

Just an FYI - All forms of SPAM ( regular, turkey, chicken) are on the shelves in Robinsons, WalterMart and SavMore…

ABCDiamond wrote:

If people are worried though, I wonder how many Americans will return to San Francisco, to get away from the Earthquake scare in Manila.
According to official documents, almost all of the Philippines is at risk from the Fault lines running through the entire country.

I get your point and was not suggesting a mass flow from Manila back to the SF area based on earthquake concerns. My concerns regarding condos in the Philippines are best summarized in a recent FEMA statement that restates,

"earthquakes don't kill people, buildings do."

I can say that building standards in California and SF area in particular, based on the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP) on Condos and homes built post 1989 far exceed even the current build quality in the PI.  This is why it is so hard to find any official reports on any condo project here for earthquake ratings. 

Lastly, all of the codes or standards in the world can be rendered useless if there is not an effective "Code Enforcement".  I think any person that starts with the local Manila local government building officials, who are responsible to review design plans, inspect construction work and issue building and occupancy permits, will walk away with very little clear information that shows either clear codes or code enforcement.

Bottom line - No need for Californian's to depart Manila & return to SF.  There is a need to demand building standards and certifications or move on to a single level options as the expat searches in the PI.

KrzyBikr wrote:
barryalls wrote:

...  So what you're trying not to say is "Beware Of GOLD-DIGGERS!!" then..?? Gotcha!

I think what he means is that it will cost you if you intend to marry someone who is previously married, and whose husband is still alive. There is no divorce in the Philippines. Only annulment. And annulment is a long and expensive process.

If you and your future Filipina wife cannot get along and decide to separate, and you find someone else to marry (or if you simply don't want anything to do with your ex), it will cost you again to annul that marriage.

Calif-Native wrote:

Just an FYI - All forms of SPAM ( regular, turkey, chicken) are on the shelves in Robinsons, WalterMart and SavMore…

I saw a "chorizo" flavor Spam here. I haven't seen that in the states.

I don't like Spam so much. But I do have it once in a while. I have to want to eat it because it's in one of my emergency food stash. I might go crazy if I eat only canned tuna and sardines during a disaster.

Calif-Native wrote:

@KrzyBikr,
In general, be very careful with new people, talking about a band, playing loud music and or other activities that may flag you as a rich party type …..   The higher your condo is in the air, the greater the expectation that you have $$$ to burn….   Consider rental in a more country setting where you use your "used car" to get to where your desired action may be located.

I agree.

Before you adapt your current lifestyle or the lifestyle you envision here in the Philippines, live simply first and lie low for around half a year. Don't believe "You can live like a king in the Philippines" for a so-so amount. Appreciate first the fact that you can live here without working, that is IF you know how to budget and you don't mix with the wrong type of people. You will then be able to determine what kind of a lifestyle you can afford.

Advice on mailing address, ID's and driver's license:

If you are planning to leave for a long term in the Philippines, and you do not plan to keep your current residence, make sure that you apply for a forwarding address at your local post office. This could be a trusted friend's or a family member's place, who, in turn, will be sorting and checking your mail, and inform you of letters that need your attention (like stuff from the IRS, SS, jury duty, etc.).

Update also your new address with the following:

* DMV, so that your renewal will be mailed to your friend instead of becoming lost in the mail.
* Credit card and bank accounts (better yet, cancel paper statements and change to electronic statements and pay your bills through online banking. So only credit card renewals will be sent to your new address). Or you can also ask for a new card, so that the expiration date will be extended for another 5 or so years.
* Other accounts, such as cellphone, pension funds, insurance, etc.

It's a bit of work to organize and manage someone else's mail. Your friend might even get unwanted mail under your name. So, take down his / her birthday, and maybe anniversary, their young kid's birthday, etc. and send a gift (like from amazon or Harry and David's) for at least one of these occasions and also on Christmas.

Create a journal of the things you have accomplished prior to leaving, so you can refer back to it when you have questions like "Did I cancel my subscription to so-and-so before I left?" Or look up dates like "Today,____, I received an email from ___ credit card confirming my change of address."

Calif-Native wrote:

@KrzyBikr,

As you prepare to move in this direction, make a list of Actions/Items that will need certain adjustments and or updates.  To start include:

*  Banking (direct deposits in USA only and Credit Card travel notification requirements).
*  PC & Apple - Try to keep or obtain the better PC's/ Apple devices that you are comfy with and make sure you bring external backup drives.
*  Cell phones - Try to keep any ATT, T-Mobile and selected Verizon units (that can handle GSM, 3G & 4G based non CDMA freqs).  A Verizon iPhone 5 or 6(S) is a great start because it has more freqs that work in multiple countries than ATT/T-Mobile.

Make sure that any cell phone you bring is not locked to your carrier. To be sure, call them and ask; usually, they will unlock it after a few months into your contract. You will want to buy a one dollar local GSM SIM card so you can send and receive text messages (the way most people communicate here) as well as to make and receive phone calls.

Calif-Native wrote:

@KrzyBikr,
*  Clothes, get your summer wardrobe updated in California where shoe & shirt sizes are as marked.
*  Money - Try not to remind any other person of your budget or retirement amount.  Try to live off of maybe P60-70K/month and keep the balance in your US Account.  I use Xoom to send my needs each month. 
*  Make sure your driver license is current and not ready to expire…
*  Consider a 2nd hand car and research the model that seems as close to a US model you like or want.  Try to stay away from JDM cars here.

I would buy a three to five year old Toyota Altis, Nissan Sentra or Mitsubishi Lancer because they are the most popular cars here with inexpensive spare parts and lots of mechanics who know how to repair them. You can look at the ads on olx.ph, but beware that most prices are inflated as Filipinos insist on negotiating.

Calif-Native wrote:

@KrzyBikr,
Regarding females -  Try to do NOTHING at first, they will find you.  If you are a party type and like bars, you find those that match that life.  If you are more into a focus on health and a future, you may want to try to make connections at a church or University.  Try very hard not to meet alone or in your place at first… may not turn out very well after a few days.

Meeting girls through church or college connections is a great idea. You may be tempted to visit a bar and, worse, fall for a bar girl. Quite aside from their questionable moral values, they probably took that job because they lacked the intelligence, the education, the work ethic, etc... needed for a decent job. Also, they are desperate for money, so you may soon find yourself giving her money for her parent's, for her brothers and sisters and for her own needs: for clothing, for her dental work, to support her bastard children (what, she forgot to tell you she had kids?). Beware!

Calif-Native wrote:

@KrzyBikr,

If surfing is important to you, you should start by looking at where the surfing is best. You might consider la Union on the west coast of Luzon. The cost of living is lower there than in metropolitan areas, but beware that there is not a large selection of shops and restaurants outside of cities.

KrzyBikr wrote:

I was looking at renting a condo but I'm seeing nice 2 bedroom houses renting dirt cheap - I saw one just yesterday in a very nice looking neighborhood that had a beautiful yard and was in great shape going for 5,000 pesos ($112 USD) so I sent the link to my skeptical friends and expect to see a herd of them showing up soon!! haha

Nice that you saw one "dirt cheap". But did you inquire if it's in a flood-prone area? Some areas can get flooded quickly with just medium rainfall. Always be skeptical if something sounds too good to be true.

Rents in the States tend to be around 1% of the value of what you are renting, so a $200,000 house would rent for about $2,000 per month. In the Philippines, rents tend to be closer to half of that or half a percent.

Another issue is that most houses in the Philippines are not finished to American standards. There are no dishwashers, no garbage disposals (inSinkErators or Waste King) and, usually, no stoves with ovens. Cabinetry is crude: particleboard with no moldings. Hardware, such as door locks and hinges, are generally of a low standard. Window frames are usually made of aluminum, not wood. Amazingly, little or no insulation is used, in spite of the high temperatures year-round and electricity costing more than $0.25 per Kilowatt hour. Consequently, you may be getting much less than you expect.

elmorocho wrote:

Rents in the States tend to be around 1% of the value of what you are renting, so a $200,000 house would rent for about $2,000 per month. In the Philippines, rents tend to be closer to half of that or half a percent. .

In Australia I always found rentals to be say $400 per week for a $400,000 property etc.So about $1,730 per month (5.20% annual return)

Here in the Philippines I am paying 37,000 per month (or 8,500 per week) for a 6,000,000 peso property (7.40% annual return)

Your US rents are more like 12% annual return from your figures. Not bad :)
Although this might vary for different locations.

Lots of good advice here, don't bring appliances here you can buy anything you need. A little expensive but all imported as the Philippines makes nothing. I have been for 5 years on a tourist visa, renew every 2 months costs me 2,830 PHP, about $68. Retirement visa is a good way to go if yo can afford the deposits, anywhere for$10,000 to $50,000, depending on the type of visa you will get. I am divorced/seperated will never get married again. If you decide to get involved in a relationship you can expect to be paying for her immediate family and extended family. Especially if the lady is young many beautiful sexy young ladies here looking to marry foreigners. Be careful they are usually more interested in your money then in you. I enjoy my stay here I am currently in Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao. I will be returning to the US in October to visit my children and when I return I will be going to Angeles City. I usually go back to the US to visit every 2 years.Hope you enjoy your stay here it is a beautiful country with beautiful women. good luck.

elmorocho wrote:

Another issue is that most houses in the Philippines are not finished to American standards. There are no dishwashers, no garbage disposals (inSinkErators or Waste King) and, usually, no stoves with ovens. Cabinetry is crude: particleboard with no moldings. Hardware, such as door locks and hinges, are generally of a low standard. Window frames are usually made of aluminum, not wood. Amazingly, little or no insulation is used, in spite of the high temperatures year-round and electricity costing more than $0.25 per Kilowatt hour. Consequently, you may be getting much less than you expect.

Apartments were not built for the small population of foreigners, but for the bigger market of locals in mind.  Why would a landlord put such appliances in the Philippines, especially when electricity is expensive, and if Filipinos are not familiar with them?

Even back in the states, we barely ran our electric dishwasher because they use up a lot of water, and we were just 3 in the house . These end up mostly as dish storage that we have to run once in a while to avoid mold build up. But there are dishwashers in the Philippines with more functions: they can not only also scrape grease from pans, but also clean up and bus your table, do your laundry, clean your house.

We used our gas oven a lot in the US, but limited our use when we moved to an apartment with an electric oven after noticing that our PG&E bill rose significantly. Filipino staple is rice, not bread. And most dishes are stews instead of baked meals.

Filipinos are not familiar a SinkErator. And the more they would not want to put it in their house if they've seen the movie Final Destination. And not all houses in the states have them. Personally, I'm terrified of these when a spoon falls in it. Really, I turn off the circuit breakers when I absolutely need to put my hand in this appliance. Also, it is not advisable to put rice in the garbage disposal.

Window frames are made of aluminum or iron instead of wood because wood can easily rot with rainy weather. Also, termites abound.

elmorocho wrote:

Amazingly, little or no insulation is used, in spite of the high temperatures year-round and electricity costing more than $0.25 per Kilowatt hour. Consequently, you may be getting much less than you expect.

My last Electric bills had KwH costs of  9.43 pesos (Luzon) and 11.45 pesos (Cebu) and $0.31 in Brisbane, Australia

This comparison works out at:

$0.27     Angeles City
$0.31     Brisbane
$0.33     Cebu

Electric is actually cheaper where I am now, with total monthly bills being 20% lower than when I was in Brisbane. (both for a 2 person household)