Moving from spouse visa to working visa

Hi all,

Just received my spouse visa (phew). I'm a free lancer and was wondering what I would have to do to have the part about not being able to work removed. Do I just need an offer letter from any employer, and if so, do I then need to reapply for a work visa or just bring the offer letter to immigration?

Thanks for any help

You just take the offer letter to immigration and they will restamp the existing pass. If you are on a dependent pass i.e. spouse has an EP, you need a salary of RM5k per month to qualify.

Procedures - Work Permit by Endorsement

1.    Applications can be submitted to the Employment Pass Division of the Immigration Headquarter Putrajaya or the nearest Immigration Office in any state.

2.    Applications for Work Permit by Endorsement can be submitted on approval of the Dependant Pass or after its issuance.

3.    Supporting documents for application:
i. Cover letter and Letter of Authority from the company.
ii. DP11 Form
iii. Job offer or Employment Contract
iv. A photocopy of the complete passport.

Fees Charged
Free

H O W E V E R
From your previous posts you are actually on a Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP). The process is almost the same but the salary can be under RM5k per month. It is carried out at the home ministry that processed your current immigration.

I would advise staying on the LTSVP rather than asking for an EP as whilst on LTSVP you are gaining qualifying years for your PR, due to your marriage to a Malaysian.

Hi Gravitas,

Thanks for the quick reply, My spouse is a Malay. Do I still need an offer exceeding 5 K per month to qualify?

Thanks

No the RM5k minimum is only for foreigners who are on EPs and their dependents.

Just remember a job offer means an income tax liability - and immigration and HASIL databases are linked. So you really do need an authentic job, as you will be expected to pay tax on the stated amount in the offer.

Gravitas,

So just to be clear, As a spouse of a Malaysian Citizen, I now have the spouse visa, I just need a job offer from anyone to qualify for the work visa and there isn't a monetary ceiling before I can apply?

Kind regards

Almost, your wording is not quite right as you don't have a visa you have a LTSVP and you need to get that stamped with the right to work based on a job offer.

You don't get a work visa you get your LTSVP stamped with the words "right to work".

Incidentally, once it is stamped you can change jobs without advising immigration - this is not the same for dependents of EP holders.

No financial constraints on what you earn - you will pay tax on what the job offers say.

Gravitas,

Apologies about my wording and thanks for all your help. Appreciate it.

So actually the title of this thread is not correct as you are not moving to another type of immigration type.

The wording is very important as employers may not be able to give you a work visa/employment pass because they don't qualify to employ foreigners.

Always put your status of LTSVP holder (Malaysian spouse) on your CV and applications to explain that its a free process to be employed.

Hi,

I'm just about to get the forms to renew my  LTSVP as my inital 6 months will be up in the end of November. Does anyone know exactly which forms I need and if I have to supply anymore documentation this time around?

If you haven't already got the forms to apply for the renewal, then would suggest that you go to the office that issued your original LTSVP and get them from there. You can also ask about what you need to submit with the application for renewal. When you go to submit your renewal application, be sure to tell the officer verbally that you will continue to need the permission to work, as there is no form to apply for this. And, when you get your passport back, be sure to check the LTSVP to ensure that the line "Any form of employment is strictly prohibited" is struck out and that the passport contains/continues to contain the employment permission stamp. Best of luck!

Hi, my question is the other way round from you. I'm holding Employment Pass (EP) and I'm planning to marry my Malaysian boyfriend next month. I want to change my EP to dependent pass/LTSVP. One of the reason I want to change its because of the tax for foreigner. I found it quite high.

Can anyone help whether its possible to change from EP to Dependent Pass/LTSVP? Or have any minimum salary to convert to Dependent pass? I already tried to google, but so far I havent get the answer.

i need interior designer job please help me

Nizar K  :offtopic:

I am on LTSVP. As my wife is a Malaysian. I have completed Three years in Malaysia on LTSVP. So how long does it take for the PR to be issued.is there any hassles in getting the PR, once you have LTSVP. Kindly let me know the process and how fast it can be got.  Regards ****************

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

If no one with recent practical experience in doing this responds, then I have two suggestions:

1) Pay a visit to the Immigration office in KL (if practical to do so) and ask about the process personally.

2) Visit or call the Expatriate Services Division's "MYXpats Centre" in Petaling Jaya and ask if they know about the process. They have a website at

https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/

but the information on it is geared towards EMPLOYERS needing to apply for EPs for expat employees.

Office contact info can be found at

https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/about-us/contact-us/

I think y'all should stop asking technical visa inquiries and head to the nearest Immigration Offices to get a clear picture. Everyone seems to have a special case of their own and no one other than the Immigration officers can help you. If you do not want to go through the hassle, employ an agent who can do it for you.

Ideally, people SHOULD go to Immigration and ask these technical questions personally. First hand information is always best and one person's information or experience is not always applicable to someone else -- even when dealing with the SAME issue or question...

Amen!