Enrolling non-English speaker children to state schools. Help needed!

Hi everyone,
First of all I'm new to this forum. Me and my wife are considering moving to Malta within a couple on months, because of the job I've found recently.

We have two children with the ages 6 and 3 respectively. They can neither speak English nor Maltese. The topic is about my their education and adaptation to the system in Malta. I read lots of posts but they could not manage to make things clear. I'm hoping to find some answers, regarding this post, by all you experienced expats...

As far as I learned from the HR manager of the company which I agreed to work, my daughter (3 yo) would have no problems since she'll be starting education from state kindergarten in both English and Maltese. On the other hand my son (6 yo) has to start primary school next semester. He went to kindergarten in our homeland but it was not in English either.

Here comes our biggest problem and my question; Would it be a problem if my son also went to a state school, even without knowing any single English word? (I'm pretty sure it'd be.) Or would they accept him on this way? But how can we/he manage this? How long would it take for him to adapt this situation? (I know it depends on habits, manner and lifestyle of the family course)

I'd also prefer private ones if they were cheaper, but again it is also the same scenario.

At least, I wonder if there were any other expats experienced the case, same or similar to ours? Any assistance and information is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hello, I don't know if This helps, but I' ll answer You anyway. We Are arriving To Malta with three children 8,11,14 in 2 months. Only the oldest one speaks English. They do not know any maltese. They are going to start in state schools, but we have not decided yet which ones. We are trying to find the ones that would teach mainly in English but to be honest, it has been difficult getting any information about this. I sent email to all colleges, only reply so far came from Gozo, still waiting... I guess it is best to visit schools when we get there. In my own experience the language shouldn't be a problem. When I was six years old myself, I started in a English speaking pre school without knowing a word in English. It took about 2 months to speak English quite well, or so I have heard from my parents. Children really are incredible in learning, so don't you worry!! If I four out something new, I'll inform you. And PLEASE, if someone knows more about this , tell us? BR, Outi

Hi Kirsikkakumpu,
Really thanks for your answer.

You gave me a big sigh of relief, with the lines you've written :) I was almost doubting If we were doing right to consider moving to Malta.

As I've mentioned on my previous post, I'm stricty in contact with the HR manager, and he is also trying to gather information regarding the solution of our situation. I'm also trying to contact to public schools , but as you said, it is really hard to find reliable data online about state schools. If there'd be any clearance by my side, I'd definitely write it down here.

Anyway, god bless if anyone knows more and share here :)

St Claires in Sliema send Non English speaking kids (from year 1 up, so not kindergarden) to a 6 week basic English course for 3 hours a day from 9-12pm. Kids pick up the basics in English and are intergrated back into the class for the last 2 hours of the day so they know whats going on etc.... This helps them understand simple instructions in the classroom and the playground. In my sons class there was plenty of kids who couldn't speak English or Maltese and had no problems...The school will do all they can to help your kids.

Hi, we were in similar situation when arrived to Malta over 2 years ago, my children spoke only their native language. My son started school soon after and never had any problem catching up with English and Maltese. State schools offer 6 weeks of English lessons for children who do not speak English or Maltese. These are given in a different location than the school but transport is provided. Even after that they will be given extra lessons and support not just for English and Maltese but other subjects as well. Do not worry children catch up really fast, my son is at the top of his class in nearly every subject (even in Maltese his writing as good as the Maltese children's, he has less fluency with the spoken language).
My children attend Gzira Primary which part of St Clare College and I really do not have any complains. Plenty of other foreign kids, so the teachers are used to them and the headmaster does his best to promote diversity:))

Good luck!

Dear ash73, pevi,
You're the best !!! I really appreciate your answers. They relaxed both me and my wife, we're not in doubt anymore :)

There is one more issue we're concerned about, if you can answer please. We're not EU citizens, and we'll have residence permit because of my future work. Does it change anything?

I mean, will my children still be able to take the advantage of this extra English/Maltese lessons even if they are not EU citizens, but residents?

And here comes another question  :/  Is this exercitation is applicable through all state schools? In other words, do all the state schools provide this type of education?

Thanks again for your courtesy :top:

Hi, best to my knowledge as non-EU citizens you will have to pay a small fee each trimester, however it is definitely much lower than the private school's fees would be.
Yes, as schools are governed centrally all state schools have basically the same resources and offer the same support. The only reason that schools in Central Area recommended (for example St Clare College schools: Gzira, Sliema, St Julians, Pembroke, San Gwann or St Paul's Bay in the north) is that they have a higher percentage of foreign students and English is more widely used.

Hi pevi,
The fee is not a big deal, as it is much lower than private schools' tuition.

It is good to know that all the state schools have the same policy about foreign students or languages. I remember I've read an article before, about this policy on times of malta (Good command of English: timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20141121/opinion/Good-command-of-English.544991)

Also, your tip about Central Area schools is so much valuable, hence we have too less time to determine the city that we'll be living, this seems to help a lot.

Hello to all again,
I finally managed to contact one of the school managers, located in Birżebbuġa, which my wife would like to move to.

Below you can find principal's answer regarding my questions about this topic.

"You are correct in what you are saying regarding the 6 week course in basic Maltese and English.

Once you are a resident of a particular town and have a stable job, your children can automatically attend the primary school within that town.

Now, your being non-EU, you will have to go to the Ministry of Education in Floriana and take the necessary papers to a certain Ms Josette White at the Customer Section. The papers are to include the children's birth certificates / passports, your passports, legal papers showing that you are the parents of the children, and proof or residence and work in Malta."

I hope this also helps who are in a similar position just like me.

Regards,

Hi, it sounds pretty straightforward. Before they changed the procedure every foreign child had to be registered at the Ministry and Ms White was most of the time was helpful and accommodating.
You did not mention where you company is located, but if it is somewhere central then Birzebuggia is quite out of way and commute every day can be tiring, so worth to take into consideration finding accommodating within walking distance to your job. Good luck!

Hello, It is great that everybody are so helpful and kind towards each other! Thank you all! I was wondering about one thing: We are moving from another EU country and I am going to take some time off work. My husband  works in Finland and spends as much time as possible in Malta also. In this situation we don't have a steady job in Malta. Is it generally enough to show that you have a steady income? I got a little worried.
Is it very uncommon in Malta for a married mother to live partly apart from her husband? I guess things can be a bit more conservative comparing to Finland? Could this be a problem in organizing accommodation, schools etc.? BR, Outi

Hi pevi,

Yes actually, you're right about the company location, It'd be in Luqa. Google maps says it is 7.5 kilometers and in within a 13 minutes driving distance from Birzebuggia.

As we're living in a coastal area in Turkey, my wife prefers to be by the sea side as much as possible :) Hence we've not finally decided yet, we are still looking for suitable accomodation and a school nearby.

I also heard that rentals are much lower in Southern Malta other than Central.

Anyway, we're still open to best offers and assistance about this. :) I definitely agree with you to live in a place within walking distance should be the best.

Thanks once more, for your lovely and helpful comments.

Hello again,
Everytime I try to make a search on state schools in Malta, it results as college list.

Would anyone please inform me about colleges vs. public schools?  :unsure

Thank you,

Hello, I got some answers from another post. Below link maybe useful for some.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 78#2632866

Have a nice day and weekend.

Hello, my forthcoming move to Malta in August , I am interested , what is the deadline for applications to place a foreign student , what documents to apply for a public school? Are there deadlines for an application ? I have 2 children 13 and 10 yearsи and want to start school in September

Hi, there is no deadline, you can enroll your children to school anytime during the year. The school year starts at the end of September, so if you arrive in August you will have plenty of time to register your kids. The important thing that you have an address ( rental agreement) as your children will go to school based on your location

For independent schools catering for foreign children and located in Sliema try Newark School newarkschoolmalta.com
Registration is easy but plan early because they could be fully booked