What do I need when I visit?

Hi. Russ here. I'm coming to visit Belize in January (maybe before). I am interested in purchasing property for farming. And yes, I have no experience farming, and no I don't care. I would like to view as many properties as possible while I am there and gather as much info and advice as possible from anybody. I am coming from the States. I suppose we should start with: what do I need when I visit? Vaccinations? Visas? etc... My stay will probably be about 8 days or so

Hi Russ,

welcome to Expat.com! ;)

Thank you for this introduction.

I created a new topic as from your post on the Belize forum.

Hello Russ,
You will need very little for your trip to Belize. It is not as “3rd world” as implied in a lot of what you read. 8 days will only give you a very brief look at the country and regions, but it will probably help you narrow your choices to a particular area or region(s). Don't rush your decision.
US driver's license and passport.
You don't need vaccinations – assuming you are current with vaccines in the US.
You need proof of return transportation to the US – airline ticket/reservation, etc.
Cash  $, or access to cash, for things not charged to a credit card (a $2 to $1 exchange rate). You can't use a debit/credit card in a lot of places.
A GOOD map of Belize if you are going to be driving/traveling. You can get a good plastic-coated map of Belize from Amazon for cheap. Street signs are lacking, at best, throughout the country. If you are driving, rent a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
Lots and lots and lots of potential farmland available in Belize. Decent prices in general, 10X less than the US on average. Need to decide what you are going to grow as it will dictate where you buy, or where you buy may dictate what you can grow. Find a reputable real estate agent and a licensed attorney for closing.
Cutter or similar bug-repellent if you are looking at properties. Stay off the beach around sunset.
Good luck in your quest!

Hello Russ,
           there are some wonderful properties available, but it would be wise to devote at least four weeks just to get a feel for which area of Belize you like most, draw up a short list of possibles, and then take a second look.  walk in accommodation can be difficult to find in December/January. I spent six weeks in February/ march and had no problem finding rooms.   agents are generally reluctant to supply information more than four weeks before your arrival, it will always be out of date if they did     have a look at all the websites you can find, but if a property has water, and is a sensible price it will be sold very quickly.   you are contemplating changing your life, it would be rash to do so on the strength of an eight day visit.  I wish you good fortune. farming anywhere is a hard life, but it can be very satisfying.