Process of getting an Italian passport

I Dominic am a Canadian, am in the process of getting an Italian passport, it is in the works, my parents are of Italian decent, may take a while in the meantime, i can stay for three months, if i wanted to stay longer they mentioned a "permesso di soggiorno", to extend the stay of longer than three months, has anyone experienced the process and what exactly is involved? Does this also apply to a longer stay of three months in other EU countries ie. leaving Italy and spending time after three months in Spain, France, Germany, Norway etc.

Thanks Dominic

Yes, but I think you need to be a resident or citizen to benefit from their services. I met people with no documents that still get to use the services for free. The health system is very good but overcrowded for the vast amount of people that benefit from it. You can still go to private doctors if you prefer and the a voucher for discount prices if your income makes you qualify. I have see that health centers in small towns are sometimes bigger and better than the main hospitals inside the city. There you get less people. Waiting time for appointments could take months at less yours is an emergency. I waited 6 hours for allergy medicine. Almost all people I know that have gone to the hospital at the same time I was there came out without a diagnostic. I found that kind of interesting. I had a friend that loss partial memory during a strong fever and was sent home without a diagnostic. "just take this medicine and you will be fine". Tutto bene.

My two grains of salt.

Appreciate your feedback, how do you enjoy living in Italy-Europe?

Thanks Dominic

Hi Dominic,

I created a new topic as from your post on the Italy forum. :)