Living in Mauritius - during the cyclone period. how is it?

Hi All, hope that you're all well. I am a Mauritian/ Rodriguan that has been living in Australia for a while now.
I have Mauritian citizenship and I'm intrigued to understand what it is like to live in Mauritius during the cyclone period, I left when I was young and don't remember. Im specifically intrigued about the severe cyclones. My parents dont have fond memories of Cyclone Carol et Claudette and the stories of the aforementioned cyclones have put me off from living in Mauritius.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to your responses

Five points about CYCLONE SEASON
(1) It can rain very much even if cyclone hundreds of miles away
(2) Electricity supply can be cut for hours  ( I invested in a small petrol generator , at least we can have a cup of tea
(3) Fruit and vegetables can be difficult to obtain after a number of days
(4) Take care with trees and road side ditches as they are both very dangerous hazards
(5) Take care when near rivers and the sea as the waves and depth can be fatal

Thanks very much for the detailed information lesjar, greatly appreciated.

As much as cyclones can be dangerous - as there may be loss of lives and property damage, it is also a time when fond memories are created...I remember those cyclonic days where the whole family cuddles up on the couch watching the rain and strong gusts outside...As soon as a Class 2 warning is issued, all schools are closed and at Class 3 all offices. 
Since there is no electricity most of the time during a Class 3, there is no TV, Internet etc and we would follow cyclone bulletins on the battery operated radio. It was a great time to be with family.   And, the fridge would have to be emptied so there would be loads of yummy home made foods...No bakery would be opened - am sure you know by now how fond are Mauritians of their bread - so farathas would replace the baguette during those days and any bread which was salvaged would turned into 'dipain frire' or pudding. Lots of curries including broad beans and meat curry...I loved all those candlelit dinners and the stories my parents would told us through the night.
But of course, cyclones are not our friends...there are always damages and many people have to go to community shelters because of their houses are not deemed safe, floods causes food crops to be scarce so most vegetable prices increase drastically...

Well due to El Nino effect, there are not too much active or dangerous cyclone forming these days.

The worst cyclones in Mauritius history are Carole and Hollanda some 25 - 30 years ago.

Now the cyclones are very moderate, its mostly rain, gusts of wind and that's it :)

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thx for the information Evaneel. You're making me hungry thking abt dipain frire et masala gros pois!
Thx u Kenjee! Ahh yes the El Niño effect. I've been in Mauritius and Rodrigues, during Class 2, and to be honest it's similar to Melbourne's winters, I can deal with rain and wind!
Thx u guys for ur experiences/ advice, really appreciated