How can an expat get a Chinese work visa as a consultant?

Do you have any experience or knowledge of getting a Chinese visa based upon doing consulting work (NOT as a regular employee) with a company in China?

If so, I would very much appreciate talking or corresponding with you.

I am an American, currently living in Kunming, China.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security

Hello

If the company is hiring you on a contract basis, then they would need to provide you an invitation letter.  Aside from that, you then need to go through the usual application process of a Z Visa.

Clint

I don't know if this is possible in Kunming, but you could check the condition to register your own consulting company. And then sponsor your own Z visa.

For consulting you might also get a M visa. As US citizen you might check if you can get the 10 year business visa.

Maybe it's an M-Visa, not a Z-Visa.

I am getting an M-Visa soon, and I'll be consulting a tech company in Shanghai.  It's not full-time.  I won't always need to be on-site to work.  I'm not working as an employee - but I've been tasked with getting their people up-to-speed, running a few workshops, and overseeing a pilot project for now.

As @glassofscotch says, you'll need an invitation letter.  But with an M-Visa, I don't think you work for your invited company exclusively.

A Z-Visa is typically for a year.  An M-Visa can be for between 30 and 90 days per entry.  It can be one or two or multiple entries.