Tipping Guide

Being new to the country, we don't want to raise the bar for others, nor do we want to short the deserving.  We have definitely noticed the extremely casual attitude towards customer service, and would definitely reward anyone exceptional, but for average DR service, how much for...

Bag boys at the supermarket?
The building man when he brings you 5 gallons of water up to the second floor? Or helps carry groceries up?
Taxi drivers?
Food servers?
Beauty salon service providers?
Bag handlers at a resort?
Maids at a resort?
Any other general suggestions?

Thanks!

Here are my thoughts:

Bag boys at the supermarket? DEPENDS HOW MANY BAGS -  FROM 25 TO 50 PESOS
The building man when he brings you 5 gallons of water up to the second floor? Or helps carry groceries up? NO IDEA ON THIS
Taxi drivers? I DON'T TIP THEY ARE OWNER OPERATED.
Food servers? ON THE BILL IS A LEGALLY REQUIRED 10% - IF THE  SERVICE IS DECENT  I MATCH THIS.
Beauty salon service providers? IF THE OWNER I DO NOT TIP, IF THEY WORK THERE 20 TO 30% OF THE FEE.
Bag handlers at a resort? STANDARD IS US 1 PER BAG
Maids at a resort? 2 TO 3 A DAY IF GOOD.
Any other general suggestions?

DON'T OVERTIP.   There is no correlation between tipping and future service..... IF I find exceptional service I tip  AND I tell the managers about it too!

For us:
Bag boys at the supermarket...25 pesos
The building man when he brings you 5 gallons of water up to the second floor? Or helps carry groceries up? 15 pesos unless he went to buy it and bring it back to you then 24-35 pesos
Taxi drivers?...don't tip
Food servers? ... small amount if 10% is already added to the bill for good service.  If not included then 10% if service is ok
Beauty salon service providers?.   My massage girl 20%
Bag handlers at a resort?...45 pesos per bag ($1)
Maids at a resort? 2$ a day

You are right about over tipping is a no-no and planner is correct tips to not have anything to do with increase in service.

Bob K