Moving To Sosua

We will be moving to Sosua DR in a couple of months and would like the names of reputable real estate companies in the area. I went online and have seen the Century 21 site, is this company bona fide? We have this company in Canada but apparently they are not connected. Also we have a small dog and would like to bring him with us, what is the protocol for doing this.
Any help would be great
Thanks

Hi Gord.
Yes, Century / Juan Pedermo is legit. Very nice people to deal with.
We bought our place near Sosua, Alex and Anabel a Nogueira were our agents, and they are fantastic people! All of the office staff were very helpful. They are expats as well, and have been with that firm  many years.

Thanks guys this makes us feel so much better. We have  heard stories of people being scammed on land ownership and were a bit worried. As ex pat Canadians how do you like Sosua?

NO matter who you deal with you need to double check everything. Make sure you have a good lawyer.

As for the dog - there is another thread about bringing your dog, lots of good information there.

Welcome.  Have you been here for any extended period of time??? You need to do so and to rent for 6 months or so before you buy anything.  We moved here over 9 years ago and actually sold real estate with a major company here for 6 years.  Cent 21 is ligit, however know there is no MLS system here so every property is listed usually with multiple agencies so  you will want to deal with other agencies as well.  Cent 21 tends to list/show only their own listings and developments so you may not get to sell all that is available to you

Read the multiple threads on this forum about living here there is tons of good information for you.

Feel free to ask questions as well

Bob K

Yes, by all means, Check out everything out well! We researched a lot of real estate before we went to see any at all. Important to  make sure of ALL the , legalities,  costs etc. There are many not so good "realtors" there. For instance, While surfing about a week or so ago, I came across a new listing for a great property, that I fell in love with...MINE! It said just listed...so I fired off an email, requesting to see it, and that I would be in town on such and such date. Used only my first name and email addy...he told me it was all set up! Then a few days later he wrote back to say it had just been sold but here was some other listings. I wrote back to inform him I was the owner and had been for a year now and that I paid much less than he had it listed for.
There is no governing body of licensed realtors in the DR that I am aware of (correct me if I'm wrong, Bob)
We are not there full time yet (pesky jobs) but increase our time there as we can, use our place as a vacation rental in our absence.

You are correct there is not regulation of real estate agents or agencies and no license necessary.

You need to be very careful

Just for curiosity who was the agent that "listed" your property.

Bob K

Great first hand info and much needed here on the forums. Thank you!!!!! 

WE deal with "realtors" and "land agents" all the time in our projects. Most are shady at best and on the other end outright crooks. You must be very very careful.

Thanks Bob do you know any reputable agents? It looks like we are coming to Sosua in the next weeks to check out the town and look at a few properties. Which is the best bar in town to meet expats for information?

Send me a PM with your needs and wants.  Have you been here before?   Why the rush to move?

Some Expats hang out at the Brit and Jolly Rodger

Bob K

http://www.point2homes.com/DO/Home-For- … 19989.html

Hi Bob, sorry, changed computers and lost the agents name, was Jose something,  big help in a Spanish country, huh?lol He was with point2point /Volalto real estate He had it as a new listing as of March 2015. Can't find it now, but while searching today, it is on point2point again! This time listing agent is Dorothy Maynard @ remax! This one has it listed since 2011 tho.
We bought less than 1 year  ago for 75k,
Jose had listed it at 85k, listing number 5788998
Dorothy has it for 95k,...SOLD! Haha . The attached link is to Dorothy's.

Dorothy is one you can trust. I have know her for 10 years and actually work with her on some sales when we were working real estate many years ago.

Bob K

A couple more bars to meet ex-pats are:  Don Andres & Spankys on Dr. Rosen St.  Close to the beach & each other.   Don Andres,  speak to Henry Or Bertico, The day bartender.    Spankys has regulars,  some of whom haved been here 15 t0 20 yers or more.   Talk to Larry, Gary, James, Ian, Brian, Harrison, Boz & just about anyone in there.   Both places are open air bars.  Another one is Fragglerock, just one block further west.     Close by is Bailys, a little more expensive & mostly upper middle class professional Dominicans who mostly can speak English.  Tourists also, many snowbird types there.  Take your time & enjoy the adventure called life.

Could I rent a 1 bedroom furnished for about 3 months somewhat near the beach for $ 500.00 or less,and how much spanish would I have to know to get by.Thanks

AT $500 a month yes.
As to Spanish the more you know the easier it will be

Bob K

Thanks

Thanks Gypsy401, you sure know your way around the watering holes. I will print this and take it with me for reference!!

Remember Gypsy's info is a few years out of date!! A lot has changed.

Yes it has.  Some of the older watering holes are filled with older not very happy expats

Bob K