I have an Iqama through my Saudi husband and I can't get a job.

I have an Iqama through my Saudi husband and I can't get a job from America. I have received offers from recruiters, but as soon as I mention that I have an iqama they lose interest. Supposedly having an iqama means I am living in KSA, but I am not. I just got it because my husband wanted to register our children and get them passports over there. One recruiter who wanted to hire me to work in Al Khaleej was very nice and emailed the direct recruiter to follow up with my recruitment. Needles to say, this person has not contacted me yet. They offered me 11,250 SAR plus accommodations, transportation and medical. I was so excited, but now I feel I won't ever get a job because my husband is my sponsor. I was in contact with a teacher working for Al Khaleej and he was happy. He told me that they always pay on time and as long as you mind your business you are fine.

Now my questions are how can I get a job due to my situation (iqama)? Does anybody has passed through this? Is moving to KSA my only chance to get a job? If so, is my pay going to be mediocre? I know these are many questions, but I have been lurking for a while and this blog is awesome :)

Pls be aware that KSA has previously change their labor laws, people like you who are having iqama from their relatives are supposedly not allowed to work as you are not under the sponsorship of your employer. Otherwise, if you insist you will be put to jail.

I just called the Saudi embassy in LA today and I can work if I want to. This rule was passed just last year.

Hi Alifatima,
I hope you are right as in the future i will be with the same situation like you but my husband is not from Saudi.   I hope you get your answers soon.

They are looking for someone who can use their "Visa" which was purchased and comes with a deadline. Hiring someone with iqama will fill the opened slot in the firm.
You are legally allowed to work and will be treated as "Saudi" since you are married to a "Saudi National".
While you are staying outside KSA chances of getting a job is less for iqama holder, recruiters usually contact overseas jobseekers assuming they are not iqama holders.
I would suggest to check with the embassy for the possibility of getting a job offer with visa (as if you are not holding iqama) and when you arrive on company visa in KSA, transfer your sponsorship to your husband.
    :gloria

if you come over here, you may not have as many problems. - i doubt you will be hired from the states under a different sponsor

alifatima wrote:

I just called the Saudi embassy in LA today and I can work if I want to. This rule was passed just last year.

Have you ever been to KSA? When you say you have an iqama - does it mean that your (supposed to be) husband is your sponsor? what is the job profession in your iqama anyway? or it seemed your husband doesn't want you to be here?

I am still thinking about it. Maybe I will just go and see how it goes. The embassy adviced me to do not tell recruiters I have an iqama as it won't show in the embassy sistem here.

it may not show on the embassy system but as soon as you arrive they will want to transfer you iqamah over to the sponsor and not your husband. i don't think this is sound advice

@alifatima any updates on your case/decision? I would really appreciate some direction in this regard as I'm also going through a similar situation...moving to Saudi really soon and will have an iqama from my husband...it would be helpful to know if there are any restrictions on finding employment and/or if an employer would be ok with keeping my husband as my sponsor...

Assalamalaycom, I am already in Saudi Arabia. I found a job with my current iqama. The employer didn't mind that I have it through my husband. Actually, it's better for them because they get some points for hiring Saudi because we count as Saudi. At least that's what I was told.

Waaleikum salam! How great! That's good news...I guess for both of us :) I'm also happy your situation got resolved. Thank you for sharing!