Recommended SA Banks? Moving from USA, which banks should I consider?

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for your input. I am moving to SA in a few months to start a PhD at University of Pretoria. Currently the bank account I use in the US is not set up for international transactions so I want to transfer funds to a SA based bank.

Which banks do you recommend? I am currently considering Capitec. Alternatively, I would like to use Simple.com but I am not sure how it will work in SA.

Any input will be appreciated.

FNB

FNB is crap if you're a foreigner. I have a student account with them, the charges are low, they have ATMs and branches almost everywhere but they randomly "lose" your information and suspend your account till you bring in copies of your documents (permit, proof of res, etc). They are fast when receiving money from abroad though. Which is why I keep that account open. Capitec is overall best on service and charges but has less ATMs around (which can be annoying but it's only R10 to use another bank's ATM). I keep both and receive my money into the FNB account then transfer it to Capitec every month.

One thing I can tell you is with any bank in SA, not all branches will have competent staff that understand the whole process with banking for foreigners/expats. One lady at the FNB PArow branch once told me only people with work permits are allowed to open accounts. If you know other foreigners around the area they would be able to give you better feedback specific to your area.

Hi, Capitec is great as a student in terms of costs when using the account (my brother has one.) I am with FNB, its great however the costs can be a little more. Check the websites maybe someone can help you on customer services via email for queries on the type of account. fnb.co.za.

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the information. Where are you transfering money from into your FNB account? That is what I am currently faced with. I have some funds I would like to transfer to a South African bank from a US bank with as low as fees as possible.

Thanks for the info everyone.

To transfer $3000 you are looking at $17 in charges. This is via transfer.  FNB offer best rates.  If you are exchanging notes the commission with be higher. If you have an account.  They only charge the commission, there is no additional fees putting it in the account if you transfer.  You will just need to confirm once with foreign exchange when the money is being transferred.  I have had great help with them

For international transfers I´ve heard good things about http://currencyfair.com/ as far the fees are concerned. I haven´t tried it myself though.