Some info for expatriate in Vietnam

[SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH]

Hello, I'm a guy who would like to try to live in Vietnam.
I would like to ask you some questions:
1. I would like to work on my own earning with my internet activities in EURO, and then convert it to DONG. Is the cost of living low in Vietnam? How many DONG for month should I earn to avoid problems?
2. There are problems or whatever to one who wants to live there and work independently?
3. With how much money should I leave my country?

I hope to get a response, thank you very much.

Vincenzo

SoonExpat wrote:

[SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH]

Hello, I'm a guy who would like to try to live in Vietnam.
I would like to ask you some questions:
1. I would like to work on my own earning with my internet activities in EURO, and then convert it to DONG. Is the cost of living low in Vietnam? How many DONG for month should I earn to avoid problems?
2. There are problems or whatever to one who wants to live there and work independently?
3. With how much money should I leave my country?

I hope to get a response, thank you very much.

Vincenzo

1.  The cost of living is very affordable here.  You have to be smart and do your homework when looking for a place because they'll try to push rooms that cost over 500USD, but you can find rooms that are less than 400USD.  I'm from America so I don't know what the exchange rate is to the Euro, but many landlords like to deal either in dong or USD.  Where are you planning to move to?  HCMC is a great place to live, but so is Hanoi if you like something a little more diverse in environment. 
2.  I don't see any problem if you're panning to work from home and still earning a paycheck.  You may want to create a citibank account and use that.  It has free exchange rates from one country to another.  I plan to do this once I have the funds to supply it (it's about a 2500USD minimum).  This way your Euro transaction can easily be converted into VND with a click of a button.  The other banks I have no idea what their rates are, but since citibank is world wide it helps a great deal.
3.  You need to be ready to pay four months worth of rent before moving into a place.  This is the norm.  Some landlords will be easier on the fees, others will be harsh, but 2 months for deposit and 2 months for rent is the average.  On top of that you need to have money for your own pleasure.  If you can survive off little (Banh Mi, Pho, Cam Tam, etc.), the street food will do you wonders with saving money.  You can come here with 500USD and live quite well for the first few months. 

I'm sorry all my figures are either in USD or VND...It does seem that the Euro is a tad bit stronger in Vietnam which is good for you.  Just make sure your landlord will accept VND for rent.  You may lose money if you have to keep converting large amounts of Euro into USD. 

Hope this helped.  If you are coming to HCMC hit us up!  We are always ready to welcome some new expatriates.

Cheers

Addison

Hi,

I have seen many expats asking the same questions when they want to move to Vietnam. Not many answers but after that I see they still live well in Vietnam with their own new rules.

I just can say that you will have many choices here.

Regards,

A1 - The monthly amount for living depends on your lifestyle and where you live in Vietnam. A friend of mine in Saigon budgets on 50 to 60 million dong a month. I live in Nha Trang on less than half that.
A2 - The biggest problem riht now is visas. The Immigration Police are worried about undesirables coming in and causing problems, and so have made it difficult to stay long term in VN
At best you must leave the country every 3 months and get a new visa to re-enter VN.
A3- The maximum money you may bring into VN is $US5000. Open a bank account in vn and arrange bank transfers.

Thanks to all!  :)

ralphnhatrang wrote:

At best you must leave the country every 3 months and get a new visa to re-enter VN.

It is required or it is a suggestion?
They release VISA easily?

If you enter with a three month visa, you may stay for three months and then leave the country
if you enter with a one month tourist visa, you may renew it once only in VN and then leave the country.
Whether your visa is renewed depends on government policy by the day.  For example, after 9/11 all Muslims were refused entry/re-entry for some time. VN government visa policy changes so often that it gives the impression that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Thank you so much, ralphnhatrang.
I have another question: what the law says about marijuana? is allowed the personal use or the medical use?

Marijuana, called can sa in VN, is totally illegal under any circumstance.

ralphnhatrang wrote:

A1 - The monthly amount for living depends on your lifestyle and where you live in Vietnam. A friend of mine in Saigon budgets on 50 to 60 million dong a month. I live in Nha Trang on less than half that.
A2 - The biggest problem riht now is visas. The Immigration Police are worried about undesirables coming in and causing problems, and so have made it difficult to stay long term in VN
A3- The maximum money you may bring into VN is $US5000. Open a bank account in vn and arrange bank transfers.

Good afternoon Ralph?
I saw your post and hope you dont mind probably repeating yourself. My gf and I are considering moving to Vietnam, she is a teacher with a Bachelor Ed Degree Maths/English, over 20 years exp. we currently live in Thailand  and I am retired. 
I read your post about the visa problem and was warned that was an issue in Vietnam, but I understand you can
get a 'work' visa and that is more lenient?  There is a lot of differences in accommodation costs on net, gues it is
best to come  and find something ourselves. Can you find places that are fully furnished where you just bring your bags?
From what I read, cost of living is very reasonable but much is outdated, is it still the same?
I like to get out a couple of times a week and have a beer or coffee and chat with expats, is this easily found in Nha
Trang?  Beaches clean and swimable?  (not the case here in Pattaya).  We like to eat out and apparently the choicei is quite large there?  What about getting around, I am used to driving on the left, but it is the opposite there, did you hve t adjust and did you do so without too much problems?
.Hope I havent questioned you to death, thanks for your time. Ron

Rent  is between $500-$650 per month for nice apartment in good area.  Budget about $10 per day for food and other expenses. A $1000 per month you can have a very comfortable life in Saigon. Cheaper in other cities.