Student accommodation on train line 161

Hi! I'm a student from USA getting ready to study at a university near Etterbeek station. I have no French and very little Dutch, so this trip is going to be quite the adventure. I'm planning on living in Brussels for around a year and need some advice on which areas are safe and affordable.

Looking at the areas around Etterbeek station, it seems that my best choices are to either live within a few minutes in Ixelles or Etterbeek, or to commute along the 161 from further outside of town. I'm hoping not to have to spend more than 500 euro per month plus fees for a loft or one bedroom apartment (though there is the possibility that I may rent with a classmate, in which case I would still prefer to be under 500 per month per person). I'm not really interested in student housing where I wouldn't know the people I'm renting with beforehand. It would be really great if I could find a place that's furnished, though I imagine that this will up the cost quite a bit.

I would like to be somewhere quiet with a fair number of native English speakers (during the day the center of town excitement is ok, but one needs someplace safe to retreat to at night or during the worst throes of culture shock, in my experience). I would also like quick access to somewhere natural, as I come from a very rural area and am unsure of my ability to adjust to the density of city living.

I do not drink or do drugs. I do not like being around those who do (not a value judgement; it's just no fun being the only sober person around). I do not anticipate eating out on a regular basis. I'm used to long commutes to and from home, so I can accommodate up to a 30 minute commute to and from school with public transportation. If given the choice I would prefer to live in a Dutch-speaking area.

Putting all of those things together, I have begun to narrow down on the areas around Groenendaal and Hoeilaart stations. Does this sound reasonable (/have I made a terrible mistake)? Can anyone give me an idea of the cost and availability of studio or one bedroom apartments in these areas?

Your chances of finding accommodation 1 bed at 500 euro in Hoielaart are pretty slim, plus adding on the transport cost, it is not going to be as economic as living in Brussels region.

Why don't you try www.immoweb.be and other sources of accommodation in Etterbeek, Watermael-Boitsfort, Auderghem, WSL, Schaerbeek?

The number 7 tram runs down past VUB from Uccle to Laeken, covers a large area to look.

However for 500 euro, you might struggle a little bit with choice.

I rent out a room in my house, away from the rest of the house, at 350 euro for the month. I could get 500 euro if I was greedy. I'd be looking at 600 for a 1 bed apartment BEFORE bills.

Here is an example, 550 pcm and on no 7 tram line, stop Hopital Paul Brien. It's probably about 20 minutes on this direct tram to VUB.

http://www.immoweb.be/en/Rent.Estate.cf … mp;xpage=1

And another example in Watermael-Boitsfort, 540 pcm, could get train (same price as tram almost) or bus or tram, nearer to VUB but possibly will take longer to get there.

http://www.immoweb.be/en/Rent.Estate.cf … mp;xpage=1

Thanks tervurener! I had been looking at immoweb, but not in these areas. Are they quiet? Are there many other students around?

Transport cost is not a problem. As an under 25 student I can get the yearly pass for 120 or 130 euro per year, so I planned on doing so anyway for traveling around and seeing sights.

Watermael-Boitsfort is quiet, Schaerbeek is heavily populated. I couldn't say how many students live anywhere.

Your problem is simply finding any 1 beds in Hoeilaart near the train station, there won't be many, whereas in Brussels, there are 1000s to choose from.

The 120 euro will only cover to Hoeilaart to Etterbeek, not to anywhere else.

You are also limited by the number of trains, whereas Watermael-Boitsfort or Schaerbeek or anywhere else in Brussels, you will wait maybe 5 minutes for the next tram or bus.