Best neighbourhood for a family?

Hello all.  Again thanks for your previous advise.

We are now moving forward with our move and are looking for the best neighbourhoods for our family.  Any opinions would be much appreciated.

We have three children and they will, hopefully, attend either San Anton or San Andrea.  My husband will probably be working in Sliema.  Any suggestions on best areas to look for housing?

Our ongoing debate is whether an apartment (flat) or detached house would be best and whether there are any areas that would be better for the kids.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fiona

If I had chance to choose, I would live in Ta`Xbiex. This region is really nice! And it is not far from Sliema.
You can find some pictures here.
http://www.vicamilleri.com/photo/malta_ … ashbish/44

I would recommend Sliema or St Julian's with front sea view ;) I appreciate this area better at this moment since it becoming more quite than during summer time.
Renting is going to be down soon so you can find nice flats at low prices.

@vicamilleri : I have visited your blog, nice pictures indeed. one of them was took from a flat near DR Juice, looks like it was took from my flat or else your are my neighbour :)

Whilst these suggestions are good in general - they might not be the best for parents whose kids are going to San Anton or San Andrea. You would have to either pay for school transportation (and find their pick up or drop off times might be very early or late) or deal with a lengthy drop off/pick-up schedule if you drive them to school yourself. For that reason, places like Attard are very popular with parents whose kids go to San Anton/San Andrea. Also, being in an area where other kids from school live has the added bonus that they can more easily meet up to play together, hang-out or chillax (depending on their age!). Just my 2 cents as a parent of San Anton children....but everyone's circumstances are different....we are struggling with this ourselves and contemplate moving but really like Naxxar (where we've lived since January) because of it's closeness to school and everything else, but you need to find out what is important to you...a pretty view?, a bustling night life?, an easy commute to work? school?...whatever.

Here are some suggestions based on where we know some parensts of San Anton live and are happy:
Mellieha (quite far North for everything else except school though)
Xemxija
Gharghur
Naxxar
Mosta
Attard/Balzan/Lija
Ta'l Ibrag

Tim

Hi Tim and thanks.  Although my husband and I would prefer to be on the ocean, I think school commute time may end up being the deciding factor.  We had been coming to that realization but your e-mail cemented it.

Fiona

Hi,

I would go with Tim.

Although we don't have school kids , just a cat , we are leaving Sliema because of the noise. Constant dog barking and very noisy students in appartments who are drunk from early in the morning until late in the evening and think they have to practice for the European Song Contest.

We have been in two different areas of Sliema with the same problem.

So definitly check out your location very carefully. Do not trust landlords! Visit your potential new home at every time of the day and over a period of time.Do not warn your landlord that you are coming.This is the only way you will get a true impression of your future area.

Hi Ricky,
Please let us know where you are going to move.  I am a light sleeper, while I was in Chapala Mexico, the church bell drove me nuts.  Plan to visit Malta in April, need a quiet place to sleep.  I hope Hilton has good sound insulation.

Darlin wrote:

I would recommend Sliema or St Julian's with front sea view ;) I appreciate this area better at this moment since it becoming more quite than during summer time.

@vicamilleri : I have visited your blog, nice pictures indeed. one of them was took from a flat near DR Juice, looks like it was took from my flat or else your are my neighbour :)

Thanks, Darlin.
I like to take pictures. I started in Malta, impressed by nice views. What picture? I really do not remember any DR Juice. :)

Hi Fiona,

We used to live in Richmond BC right before relocating to Malta (for 2 years). We currently live in Mellieha...reason being? SPACE. Our kids where used to run, parks and open areas tough to find in central Malta. Ok, Mellieha is far away, like commuting from Richmond to Vancouver :) but I driving to the airport where I work takes me no more than 45 minutes (or 30 in summer).

There are PROS and CONS like having basically no neighbors in winter time but the island is small and you are3 literally anywhere in less than 45 minutes.

hope this helps!

I am in a family neighborhood right up the hill from St. Julians,,,,  It's very peaceful and if we want some excitement it's a 5 minute walk...  Officially it's pembrook and we like it a lot.

Hi,
I moved from Vancouver to Malta 6 months ago. I have 3 children attending San Anton school (9, 4 and 2 years old). I live in Mellieha at Tas-Sellun Residence. Flats have a wonderful sea view and are quite big. They are  walking distance from Gadhira Bay. We are a little far from the centre (Valleta) and at the begging it was hard to find after school activities for the kids but now I found ballet, hip-hop, soccer and more. It is a very good neighbourhood, and it is even more fun during summer time with a lot of activities close to the see. Traffic is not bad to school, about 15-20 minutes, in their way back I put my oldest on the school transport.

vicamilleri wrote:
Darlin wrote:

Thanks, Darlin.
I like to take pictures. I started in Malta, impressed by nice views. What picture? I really do not remember any DR Juice. :)

Sorry vicamilleri I did not see your message...
Never mind I willsay you hello from the window when I see you :D
Darlin

If I had chance to choose, I would live in Ta`Xbiex. This region is really nice! And it is not far from Sliema.
You can find some pictures here.

Link I gave before does not work any more. You can see pictures of this town here:
vicamilleri.com/malta-tashbish/