Nairobi

Hi All,

I am in the process of negociating a job in Kenya.I am a IT Sales professional working in Bombay ( INDIA ).We are a family of 2 shifting to Kenya, me & wife.Would be greatful to all for your responses.

I want you all to help me with the following info.

a)What is the cost of living in Kenya/Nairobi for a family of 2
  Furnished Apt
  Monthly grocery bill
  DISH TV monthly bill & are Indian Channels avilable
  Communication Exps - Internet & MObile
  International Call charges
  Fuel Rates per ltr
  Eating outside in a Indian Restaurant
  Beer

Thank you

1/ What is the cost of living in Kenya/Nairobi for a family of 2 - between 90 000 and 150 000 Kshs depending of your lifestyle

2/ Furnished Apt - 3 bedroom apt from 80 000 Kshs/month (service charges included)

3/ Monthly grocery bill - about 1 500 Kshs per week

4/ DISH TV monthly bill & are Indian Channels avilable - Yes, by DSTV, about 80 USD per month + 10 500 Kshs for dish and installation

4/Communication Exps - Internet & MObile - Mobile is very cheap, for Internet you get unlimited package at many different price, appx 3500-4000 Kshs per month

5/International Call charges - to India, cheap with Zain

6/Fuel Rates per ltr - slightly less than 100 Kshs/ltr

7/Eating outside in a Indian Restaurant - meal is 700 Kshs, rice/starter between 300 and 500 Kshs

8/ Beer - Half liter is about 160 Kshs

Thank you.

Furnished Apt would include what all. Do i need to buy anthing in the Kithchen..pls clarify

Yep, it includes all I guess ! But I said FROM 80 000 Kshs per month for 3 bedrooms apartment... It could be higher than that !!

okay, how about a 2 BHK Furnished Apt. Within what range would we get the same. What about security. Will that be taken care by the LL or would it be additional cost.
How safe is Nairobi from a female employee perspective
What sort of job opportunities exist for female employees

Thank You & Regards,

okay, how about a 2 BHK Furnished Apt. Within what range would we get the same. What about security. Will that be taken care by the LL or would it be additional cost.
If it's an apartment, security as well as electricity/water and all others charges for common parts is usually included in the rent as per lease contract.

How safe ? Pretty safe as long as you don't drive alone in the middle of the night and get lost ! As safe as any megacities !

Last question - sorry, don't know

It varies within Nairobi; depends on the area

Thank you,

i would want to settle in areas where there is high Indian population.
Could yout let me know which areas have high Indian community staying together.

What is the approx rent of a 2BHK Apartment in these areas
What all is included in the rent. Utlitiy expenses
Is there any deposit charged

Thank you in advance to all for your support.

Regards,