Spouse Visa or Malaysia My Second Home

My wife is Malaysian Chinese.  Would it be better to retire in Malaysia with a spouse visa or under the Malaysia My Second Home program?

If your wife still holds a Malaysian Passport, she cannot return under the MM2H programme and only you would apply (paying deposit of RM150k currently or having equiv. of RM10k per month income).

If you come under the Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) your marriage should have been registered (or needs to be done in Malaysia) and you can only apply 6 months after arriving in Malaysia. It is only given if you intend to live in Malaysia. If you exit, you start over with the process. The LTSVPs are only for short durations at first and it takes a while until you get one for 5 years (read article below). You would get the local medical benefits but would also need private health insurance for hospital care (same as MM2H). This article explains the situation on a LTSVP.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=457405

Thank you for the information and the link to the article about the LTSVP. It seems like the MM2H will be the better option for me.

The major issue on MM2H is that you cannot work - so that's important.

I believe over 50's on MM2H can request clearance for 20hrs per week in limited categories of work types.

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/ben … artime-job

Thank you for that information.  We will most likely move to Malaysia in about 2 years when I retire from my employment here when I am 70 so that won't be a problem.  However my monthly income will only be about $2000 U.S.  or about 7,100 MYR.  But our savings will exceed the 150,000 MYR requirement.  Will We be able to live comfortably on Penang with that monthly income?

Yes as long as you are not paying expensive rental on a property. The savings level is currently RM350,000 and RM150,000 is the fixed deposit you would need to make in lieu of sufficient monthly income.

Further are you covered for health care which can add up in Malaysia in private clinics and hospitals?

billl wrote:

Thank you for that information.  We will most likely move to Malaysia in about 2 years when I retire from my employment here when I am 70 so that won't be a problem.  However my monthly income will only be about $2000 U.S.  or about 7,100 MYR.  But our savings will exceed the 150,000 MYR requirement.  Will We be able to live comfortably on Penang with that monthly income?

RM7100 is ok for today but inflation is pushing prices everyday. Five years from now RM7100 wont cut it. Im in Penang and really feel the price heat, way unlike 2000 when i started.

Your fixed incomes, thats SS? You should review the SS site about receiving benefits while living abroad. Interesting reading and there are requirements and eligibility.

Personally I would start off with the LTSVP since its easiest to get and see how life goes.

Hello.  I am Raj from USA planning to retire in malaysia. I had applied for my MM2H last May and finally got my MM2H approval come couple of weeks ago. We (my wife and son) are planning to visit kl in april to get the final paper work done. We are planning to stay for a week for the paperwork and also to check out apartments for rent. Do you think I have enough time for that? Also for the paperwork like getting medical checkup, security bond, deposit in the bank, should I get an agent or should do it myself as time is of essence. Please guide. If I should use an agent, anyone know of a good agent who can help.

Thanks a lot

(paying deposit of RM150k currently or having equiv. of RM10k per month income)....
I think you mean AND 10k income.
Do you know the details regarding business/director's visa?

Hi, have you settled your document with mm2h already? Yes, i do have good servicer to recommend to you. You may message me.