DENGUE FEVER

`Recent Press Conference
The measures taken by local authorities to control the spread of dengue fever was at the centre of a press conference given by the Minister of Local Government, Dr Anwar Husnoo, this afternoon at the head office of the Ministry in Port Louis.

Dr Husnoo recalled that as at date around 60 cases of dengue fever have been registered especially in Port Louis, Trou aux Biches and the northern region. In Port Louis, the areas which are mostly affected are Champ de mars, Vallée Pitot, Cité Martial and Cité La Cure.

Speaking about measures to control dengue, the Minister of Local Authorities stated that cleaning of drains and rivers as well as a public information campaign are of utmost importance. According to him, it is crucial to encourage the population to recognise the problem, assume a share of responsibility for its solution and acquire the capability and motivation to prevent and control dengue fever. He also appealed to the public to be vigilant and take all precautions to protect themselves.

mauritian people have to be educated around not dumping their litter on wasteland. They are provided bins but still they don't use it. I noticed this happens a lot in coastal areas when people rent for the weekend and there is a lot of noise and litter pollution. the govt should ensure landlords are fined for littering and land proprietors keep their land clean. also local authorities are powerless. their customer service is appalling.
what do others think.

kamla naik wrote:

mauritian people have to be educated around not dumping their litter on wasteland. They are provided bins but still they don't use it. I noticed this happens a lot in coastal areas when people rent for the weekend and there is a lot of noise and litter pollution. the govt should ensure landlords are fined for littering and land proprietors keep their land clean. also local authorities are powerless. their customer service is appalling.
what do others think.

http://www.ioc.fiocruz.br/dengue/img/55_genilton.jpg

This is very true. The Aëdes aegypti mosquito which is responsible for the transmission of Dengue proliferates in places like vacant lots where garbage accumulates, sources of standing (stagnant) water are notorious breeding grounds for the mosquito.

That said, wow only 60 reported cases I don't think you're going to get much better than that anyway. Here in Brazil we have 5.3 thousand confirmed cases just this year (already double last years figures) and there have been 11 deaths. The drastic figures here are a direct result of people not clearing vacant lots, throwing garbage everywhere and not removing sources of standing water. Government spraying programs which were quite common all across the country in the past seem to have been completely abandoned. I certainly have never seen anyone spraying in several years now. In the past this was a monthly event in every neighborhood all over the country.

So just look to Brazil, it should be a wake-up call for Mauritians as to just how bad things get if you don't start doing something serious now to control the problem.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

I would like to add that this Dengue Fever is extremely dangerous, a close colleague of mine died some years ago in Sri Lanka, he was in a coma for 2 weeks, dehydrating rapidly, he was given blood transfusions daily in the attempt to keep him alive, sadly he passed away, this very young strong man fell victim to this Aëdes mosquito, he was an athlete a rugby player and only 28 years old, don't be fooled because you think this little mosquito has no power over you, he will without doubt, knock you clean off your feet and may even take your life, The company we worked for provided Quinine tablets, sprayed the entire area with Deet and did everything possible to protect us.
Today there is a medication called ODOMOS, produced in India, it's available in most Pharmacy's in tropical and hot countries, and its not expensive to buy, keep a tube with you and use it early evenings. by far the best mosquito repellent I have ever used.

Actually there are 4 separate and distinct types of Dengue, the most serious being Dengue Hemmorahagic Fever which is deadly. Classic Dengue is not usually fatal, except in cases where individuals are already in debilitated states resulting from other illnesses, very young children and the elderly.

While everyone should be concerned about this disease, it is NOT as great a health risk in Mauritius as in many other countries. There is no cause for alarm. That said, everybody should do their part to help eliminated its spread regardless of the risk level. Brazil has stopped doing that and we can all see the tragic results. Mauritius certainly does not want to follow them down that road to disaster.

See the following webpage from the World Health Organization - WHO for more information:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

I agree the rubbish you see on the beach at Flic en Flac on a Monday morning after the week-end 'campers' is often appalling as they come have a party , dump their rubbish on the ground and not in the bins provided and go home leaving the mess for others to look at and clean up.  Why don't the police make a patrol every few hours along the beach area and remind people to take good care of their rubbish and warn them if caught they could be made say to spend the morning cleaning the rubbish up etc.   I was recently in Rodrigues and there is little or no rubbish on the beaches or by the roadside there.  Maybe one reason is that plastic bags are not allowed and the other is that the Rodrigues people take more pride in protecting their environment than some Mauritian's do.

While annoying that is not the kind of rubbish we're talking about which is responsible for Dengue. We're talking about rubbish, demolition rubbish, etc., that is simply left to accumulate on vacant lots and lots that are never cleaned up by their owners. These are the breeding grounds for the mosquito.

Regarding the garbage on the beaches, are there conveniently located garbage receptacles on the beach, or are they off the beach? That's more likely the reason for garbage being strewn about than any prohibition on plastic bags. The people are just too lazy to get up off their butts and walk a bit. Not much is going to change that mindset, not even heavy fines.

Cheers,
James