Registering a child

Well, we're having a baby  :shy

Of course, nothing is that simple... I am in the UK and may be unable to make it to Brazil for the birth.
My lady is a Brazilian natural and says it will be a big hassle if I'm not there to sign the birth certificate but I should be able to appoint someone as my representative.

Has anyone got any experience of this situation?

She will need to get a model of the Power of Attorney "Procuração" that you are going to need to sign and notarize in order to register the child if you aren't able to be at the Cartório with her. It really is going to be a big hassle as she states. If you're not legally married in Brazil it's going to be even worse still and she will end up having to register the child in her name solely if you aren't at the Cartório with her. While that can be rectified at some point in the future by making a "Reconhecimento de Paternidade" while you're actually here in Brazil it's just another headache.

I'd highly recommend that if it is at all possible for you to return to Brazil for a few days following the birth, if only to register the child that it's going to "de-complicate" things greatly and take a lot of unnecessary stress off of both of you. It will also give you the opportunity to register the birth with your Consulate-General here in Brazil at the same time, which will be necessary if you're planning on your child having dual citizenship.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Oh no :-(

We're not legally married.

I fully intend to be there but my employment doesn't allow me any way of planning and I could well be stuck in the middle of a desert or the Arctic tundra.