Sim card - Can i buy a Sim Card at Pudong airport at reasonable price?

Hi guys,

I will be in Shanghai for over a week and I will need to buy a sim card to use 3G (preferably China Unicom).  My question is can I buy a sim card at Pudong airport or somewhere else in Shanghai downtown at a reasonable price?  I did some research and paying around USD50 for a sim card is quite absurd to me...

Thanks in advance for your help! : )

Whoever paid 50 bucks for a SIM card must be ripped off! the normal price for a card here is around 30-50RMB which is 5-8 dollar. You can just pop in any China Unicom store in the street to get one for a reasonable price.

Thanks Kevin, can I also get 3G without speaking Chinese? : )

No worries ;) you can just easily write 3G on a piece of paper and show them, as far as I know around 30 RMB per/month allows you to use 300-400 MB 3G date.

Of course, you can find them at the international airport like pudong.  Anyway, the easiest way if you dun mind of using other provider also you can order simcard via email with China Telecom and 3G Pay as you go package is the best because there is no contract and super cheap!  Just email them at  Sales team :  [email protected]  or Customer Service:  [email protected]

sh.189.cn/en/products/details_mobileplan_payasyougo.html

Enjoy Shanghai!!

La terra santa wrote:

Hi guys,

I will be in Shanghai for over a week and I will need to buy a sim card to use 3G (preferably China Unicom).  My question is can I buy a sim card at Pudong airport or somewhere else in Shanghai downtown at a reasonable price?  I did some research and paying around USD50 for a sim card is quite absurd to me...

Thanks in advance for your help! : )

When you pass through customs on the way to the baggage claim there is a desk selling sim cards. SORRY I don't know the prices. If you don't want to buy it there going to a China Unicom store should get you a sim for 100rmb - which gives you 100 rmb worth of service. For a short time stay you can choose the 66 rmb a month plan which gives you 300mb of internet, and calls and sms.

Thanks all! I have just came back from the trip. I got a China Unicom simcard with 1Gb of data and maybe something like 1h of domestic phone call - I paid 160 RMB for that. I didn't remember the expat password so couldnt' come here and say thanks to all your help!

May I know where did you buy it from?

In fact, I bought a data SIM card before flying to Peking China from an online store ,they shipped the SIM card to my doors. You can find more from here:  [link moderated]

Mwas really useful for me! I will travel to Shanghai alone in next 10 days, and I was really worry how can I get to internet to finds maps and ways in city!

I will travel to Shanghai alone in next Sept 11th 2017 (holiday purpose for 10 days), and I am worry how can I get to internet to finds maps. Actually i have to go to Mt. Putuo - Hangzhou and Suzhou. by Public transportation. Anybody can help me hor to go to MT. Putuo from Shanghai (my hotel is near east nanjing road), then continue to Hangzhou and then Suzhou then back to Shanghai.

First of let me state the obvious, Google map and other google services are not accessible while you are in China, means also Android phone users won't be able to use play store to download APPs. you will need a VPN, still it will be slow and tricky at times.
I'd suggest to download another map with "offline" map option, means you will be downloading the data in advance and use GPS to locate yourself.

Second issue, data and mobile network coverage in the suburbs or mountain areas is very weak, basically not reliable source to help you find your way around.

All in all you may consider a tour guide!