Trying to find the "Blue Barrel" that someone mentioned for shipping

Someone think Bob? Used a blue barrel? for shipping a grill lately if not mistaken... Trying to find this company online without success... Thanks to anyone who can help me out....

Try Montero Shipping Miami. They answer emails and they also answer their phone too. I love that!

Thank you so much will do that? Still want to find the "Blue Barrel" too as think it said for like $55 anything you could fit into the thing got shipped! Sweet!

Greetings. I believe these are the barrels Bob was referring to. They are usually 55 gallon barrels. Here in New York most shipping companies carry them, even some supermarkets. I don't know where you reside, but hope this helps. http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-9 … lsrc=aw.ds

Cost is now well over  US 200  I believe.  Bob knows.....

Looks right! Thank you! Do you know who ships them then? Confused as thought it was a company that sold and shipped them for like $55....Maybe I don't remember correctly...Thanks again...

Oh just saw note about Bob will pm him...thx!

No problem you are welcomed. It all depends on where you are shipping from. Here in NY there are tons of companies that ship to DR because of the many Dominicans who reside in the tri-state area. More companies means more competition and better prices for the consumer. I would suggest doing an Internet search for compañias de cargas or compañias de empaques a Republica Dominicana or simply Dominican shipping companies and see who offers the best rates. Bob has had some experience in bulk shipping. He is the expert in that arena. Send him a PM :cool:

Sorry never used Blue Barrel

Bob K

"Blue Barrels" are commonly used plastic barrels used by various shipping companys.

The 55 gallon drums can be found easily I think. They should be around $35 to buy. Montero Shipping Miami charges around $150 to ship it from Miami. They pickup there and deliver to your door in the DR. That's really not bad if you load the thing up. Supplements, vitamins and clothing.

The barrel is  good for some things. I know you are planning to ship "all" your stuff later.  There are 2 ways to do this - with residencia or without.  With means you wait until your residencia is approved then you have  6 months to ship your things. They will come in  tax and duty free but that does not mean without cost. AND it will take at least  6 months to get the process to this point,likely longer.

IF you do it without residencia you will pay all fees plus tax and duty - it is expensive. 

Make sure to really think this through as it may not be worth it to you.

So true. When we shipped our container we did it with our residency.  When the inspected the container they came up with tax and duty in excess of nearly $10,000 USD.  However when applying our exoneration for residency we had a bill of $400 and that was for an extra TV, which we did not bring in.  However considering all the "new" things like washer, dryer, Electronic equipment, 14 ceiling fans, 60 new light fixtures, stove, refrig, dishwasher and such we got off pretty cheap.

Bob K

Ok not sure if I should be going here on this topic or move it (but) will try anyway...Would the movers know about all this tax business? Or do they expect me to figure that out?  I have been quoted a price for door to door pick up/delivery...They are going to hold our stuff till I tell them where to send it.  Also Bob sounds like maybe you had more stuff than us? We are bringing or hope to anyway, basic furniture: couple of beds, dressers, table chairs, piano, chaise and small loveseat... and a couple of small accessory furniture pieces. Other than that the usual clothes, childs toys...No washer/dryer, ceiling fans  etc.  Do you think that will make a difference?  The other shipping questions I was asking was for family wanting to send some things down later.... And ok just had a thought and PLEASE don't anyone yell at me, its just a thought and perhaps it not a good one...I am exhausted due to stress of studying hard to finish a class by June and also packing, purging and wondering where we are going to be in a couple of months... So the thought is wondering if my brother could claim the stuff? He lives there, five years now, is married to a local girl? Yes, he's legal. Would this be outrageous to even consider? Probably so, was thinking out loud but you all know best so will wait quietly for your answer. Just trying to sort all this out in my head and not alot of time as the movers will be showing either mid May or mid June depending on when this place actually goes to closing. They will hold our stuff till ???

PS we don't have any electronic stuff either, yup no tv, stereo other than laptop and a couple of plug in radios...does that help?

Not bringing the items you mentioned will help in that your tax bill will not be so high but unless done with residency expect to pay a pretty good sum of money.

The quote  you have probably does not include taxes as the shipper has not idea  and it is up to the "crook" (sorry not politically correct) that inspects your shipment.  So this will be determined after the container gets here.

I am not sure of the answer to using your brother, but regardless he too will have to pay import taxes.

Bob K

Thanks Bob...appreciate your not yelling at me....not that you do such things of course but with all stress I'm under right now perhaps getting a little sensitive?  Will being taking ALL of this into serious consideration.  Will also maybe speak to my brother and get his opinion unless someone else here thinks not good idea.  Just looking for all possibilities so can make a better informed decision here.  So much to think about all at once. Thanks again.

So first you will need a customs agent, I can refer you to mine.  He will help keep the taxes and fees to a minimum.  But, you will pay a minimum of 18% of the value - you need all your receipts - plus duty plus customs fees plus his fees. 

No sorry your brother can't bring it in either.  Dominicans can't bring things in whenever they want either honey.

Figure out what it's worth, what it will cost to ship, add 40% as your tax and duty as an estimate.  Then decide if it's worth doing.  It might not be.  Your personal stuff could be shipped in barrels and furniture bought logically.

Planner, do I need all the receipts for every item or just furniture? And don't think I have those, its not furniture I bought in last couple of years! What do I do?  Not sure I could replace the furniture unless I just bought whatever...The stuff we have was carefully selected for different needs and some after years of looking for just right thing. Never realized it was this complicated... Its rather discouraging and disheartening at a really vulnerable time...Yet again though just tell me like it is and I will figure it out, its what I'm used to doing anymore... And we truly don't have more furniture than what I said...The fellow said the crates were 10' wide by 8' high by 20' long...He said we wouldn't fill it and that was before I got rid of so much stuff over 2000 pounds! So go ahead and shoot straight. I can handle it even if I squirm a bit first....

If you don't have receipts they will assess a value then pay 18% then duty honey.  If your stuff is older the cost could exceed the actual value when you factor in shipping.

Or

Wait until you apply for residencia.  Rent furnished until you know you want to stay. Get your residencia filed and on approval ship your stuff.

I can't imagine anyone shipping out a lot of stuff in a container WITHOUT a residency. It's just nuts.

Planner knows best!

Like I said we saved 9K+ 10 years ago (much more now I am sure) by waiting till we had our residency.

Bob K

Yup and for most it i just is not worth that much money. You can get almost anything here now, not like years ago.  Now we just go shopping...... 

Some things are more expensive and some things are less.  For example a propane stove is way less expensive then an electric stove from the USA.

Thanks all....got it...when we come if we like it and decide to stay then will apply for the correct paperwork and take it from there....Appreciate everyone's input....

you are welcome and good luck

Bob K

Thanks Bob, it has been very helpful listening to you, Planner and some of the others.... I did get some very good advice.  I also detected some unnecessary negativity which has made me regret speaking at times. I am coming here as a newbie and anxious to hear ALL that expects have to say.  I did not expect to get sarcasm or negativity though and that is disheartening.  They know who they are. That was a  disappointment to me as I thought this was supposed to be a helpful, FRIENDLY site....Most here have been quite polite, friendly and very helpful...Thank you to all those who have been these wonderful things... I feel hesitant to post here now...I may private message some in the future. Don't want to get mocked or other things when I am simply trying to learn and make a as much as possible to make a smooth, pleasant transition. Can't wait to see the island and hopefully meet some of you...

I think you are being a little over sensitive!  There is nothing here you should be upset about.  Everyone is actually trying to help you.

If I have upset you then lo siento, certainly did not intend to.

Bob K

No Bob/Planner sorry to make you think it was you...It wasn't! You two are WONDERFUL....I have tried to be totally honest, respectful and grateful...

There was a recent comment made that I thought was intended to be hurtful but to be sure I emailed them privately and asked.  I received no reply so have assumed that it was intentional and yes it hurt.  I come here to learn, to be advised and to make more educated decisions. Just didn't think that those kind of things were supposed to happen here. If someone makes a silly choice or like me perhaps asks a silly question I expect to hear about it but respectfully.  Its a little disconcerting to think about totally uprooting and starting over even here on the mainland but how much more so another country. So guess maybe I am a little sensitive but still always respectful. I guess it caught me off guard that's all. Want info but don't want to feel mocked or insulted asking for it that's all. And again BOB/PLANNER you are WONDERFUL: no complaints at all. Sorry if made you feel that way. 

PS Don't want to say names because don't feel that's fair or necessary, just hope that they will realize their mistake and be nicer next time. I have learned what you give out always comes back so I do try hard to be nice and always put the good out there so that it will return to me someday as well. So you won't see me beating on anyone...Not my way.

no problem

Bob K

Exactly no problem  honey!  All good............. carry on campers.....

Thank You!  :)

Sometimes people post from their point of view which is not the same point of view as the person posting. It's a simple misunderstanding of viewpoint.

The point I was trying to make was you can't just send things to the DR like you would in other countries. They have no good system for that kind of thing here. If you get caught in customs you could find yourself in a major disaster.

Here are some mistakes.

1. Shipping a car without really knowing what you are doing.
2. Shipping a container without understanding all the issues with customs.
3. Shipping anything using Fedex or another large shipping company. This is always the most costly.

"Mistakes", meaning the price you are going to pay for taxes, customs fees, etc. could be a multiple of the value of the items you are shipping.  This is what I was trying to convey.

This is why there are a multiple of "courier" companies that specialize in shipping items to the DR. They already have relationships with the customs brokers as well as customs so things are smooth. Then they deliver it to your door. Only way to go unless you have a friend take something back for you. There are always people going back and forth to the USA.

It is very important to be able to buy things in the USA and ship them in. I wrote a two part blog post about buying things in the DR.

I ship all the time.  like weekly to every other week .From blue barrels to industrial equipment weighing 10,000 pounds in containers.

you can still get a blue barrel shipped for 150.00 . however if it contain contains electrical items and new items it could cost more. the blue barrel program started in wwII phillipines. it meant to send used goods or some new clothes shoes and household items..  not for resale items or tools etc. I have shipped 450 pounds in a barrel and yes I get nailed at times for sending new equipment .and tools. if its real heavy they will charge 200.00

I have never paid more then 20.00 for a barrel. I have many in Puerto plata I wish I could send back. you can check craigslist.

you can ship a blue barrel without any residency requirements as far as I know. I did it years ago but now I live there. I just take to shipper and pay and they deliver. two weeks travel time. laws may have changed but I am sure I would have heard if they did

There are two sizes of blue barrel: 40 gallons and 55 gallons. These can be bought new or used. In Miami, the 40 gallon barrels cost $25 and to send them to SD (actually to San Cristobal) cost me $125 per barrel.
My used barrels, which had been used for shipping Sodium Laurel Sulfate from China to some cosmetics company, were bought at the Opa Locka-Hialeah Flea Market north of Miami. Make sure your barrel is not punctured, as people use them for rainwater in the DR, and they are hard to patch. I have sent a lot of different stuff in them (used clothes, shoes, costume jewelery, small radios, plumbing fixtures)  and no one has charged any tax thus far..

yes if you are in Miami shipping is less; I ship from Atlanta, Houston, and sometimes on east coast, they ALL go to Miami first. The reason for the 125,00 shipping. I would get my barrels from LA at tabasco. They had hot sauce in them but they are fine to ship with. I work all over the usa and you can find them just about everywhere on craigslist. they come in white also and they have some with screw on lids. they work just fine. actually blue barrels come in many sizes.

Hi Bob, just wondering if you know a way to ship small parcels from Toronto Canada, to Puerto plata or Sosua?
we want to send clothing items to our friends there.

thank you
Rick

Rick I answered your other post

Bob K

Hey Bob getting close to Britannia time. These blue barrels look like a way to go for our smaller items as we are going to buy new for the larger ones. So do you know if this works from Toronto to DR or just from the states??

Hello, I am trying to ship a computer to my girlfriend and need help..

I sent you a message.