Relocating to Dubai

Hello everybody out there! My name is Natalin and i am moving to Dubai the first week of May.  I was born and raised in Argentina but since my mother is Spanish ive lived in Europe too. Currently ive been living in the USA for about 8 years but got a really nice job offer in dubai. I am very excited for this new chapter in my life. I have a background in hospitality and this would b a dream come true. anybody out there that could share there experience with me? Culture shock? Life style? Rentals? This is the only thing thats got me a lil worried since the company gives me a place where to stay for a couple months but then i have to find my own obviously getting a live out allowance.
Well thanks in advance! Hope to hear from some of u!

Hello natalinlorente,

Concerning your search for accommodation, you can browse the Housing section- Housing in Dubai so that you can get an appropriate accommodation.

You can also browse the guide section- Living in the United Arab Emirates guide to gather more information.

Best of luck in your new venture.. :top:

Regards
Yuveshen

Hi there

I have a Master B / D room travel most of the time 3 Moths not home. Location are Dubai Marina JBR

Let me know if you are interested

Regards
Mark

Thank you Yuveshen!

Mark i sure am interested! Do you mind sending me more info like locat, close to Metro? Pics if u've got, how much u asking for, etc...

My email is [email protected]

😀

Heloo Natalia, 

Regarding accommodation it would be better if you tell us where is the location of the company you will work in then after that you can decide in which place you will search for a flat.

Hi Natalin,

Advance warm welcome to UAE. Dubai is a nice place to live & get settled.
Bear in mind May should be hot. 😅

Dubizzle will be good search for your accomodation & much more. In most cases the company should provide you an accomodation for a month or two until u get settled. So its better if you make a decision on apartment then so u know what & where u need better.

All the best for your new tenure. 👍😊

Hi Natalin,
Welcome aboard. I reached Dubai 14 days back and had company provided hotel stay for a week. It was difficult in those 7 days to find a proper accommodation/house. Added to it, not sure if it affects you, I even had laundry piling up as the hotel rates were exorbitant. House/accomodation hunting should be done with much research and when you are have 1 or 2 weeks in a hotel there is no time left for research as you would have the Residency to be completed. What I chose was as under:
1. Found where my office was and also the nearest Metro station on Google Map. This was done because I did not have a license to drive here in Dubai
2. Opted for Condo hotels or its also called Hotel Apartments.

The distance between 2 metro stations can be taken as 2 minutes and to change lines and board a new train (there are 2 metro lines) it takes approximately 10 mins. There are bus services to the Metro stations.

Basis the above data, I opted for Bur Dubai as this location has plenty of very good hotel apartments starting from as low as 55 USD and above. My office was 8 Metro stops away and took almost 30 minutes to hop. There are buses from the main road to the metro stations. There is a mobile app called Wohjati that tells you the time and expected time of arrival of a bus at your nearest position which is tracked using GPS.
To find hotel apartments please use Trivago. Ensure to filter hotels with "Washing Machine" if laundry is important. Put in the location you wish to stay and lo! you will have all your choices. Initially take for 8 nights as rates fluctuate. Keep checking for the rates daily and when you find the best rate extend the booking as a new one.
Now when you have the hotel apartment at your disposal, you have all the time in the world to search for good accommodation /house without having to be in a hurry and also be ready for a home once you know Dubai well enough.
Trust this helps. Take care and rest assured you will enjoy good social security here. Cheers!

Hi Natalin,

Welcome to Dubai ! I don't think you should get scared of anything. Dubai is a multi cultural city with open environment for all nationalities. Great infrastructure, all amenities, great for living & shopping. And most of all, a nearly 100% safe city 24x7. Yeah, accomodation could be a bit expensive (depending on location), but you can still get a 1-room apartment / sharing accomodation close to Metro stations at reasonable rent.

If you let me know the exact location of your workplace, may be I can help / guide you in finding a suitable apartment.

Take care.

Kalyan

Hey everyone!

I will be relocating soon to Dubai (last week of May).
I was living in Denmark for a short period, until I got a competitive job proposal for Dubai and I said YES.

I must admit I never left Europe, so there are so many questions and concerns for a single European girl moving there.
Let's try list a couple of these concerns (I love lists, ha ha ha!):

1. Is it safe for a single woman to live there?
2. Rentals. I looked it up online, I know it would be quite expensive, but I would pay around 1/3 of my salary on it, so people told me it's reasonable. I would like to live alone and next to the metro, of course. :P
3. Alcohol. Yes, alcohol, ha ha. Is it that bad as I heard it is? :))
4. Medical system. My company will provide me with a medical insurance (don't know yet what it will cover). I will be interested in dental services there and physical therapy... Any advice on this?
5. The heat. As I will be moving nearly at the beginning of the hot dessert summer... Any advice on proper clothing/ food/ hydration? Or any idea on how a girl who is moving from Northern Denmark will manage to resist the heat? :)
6. Ramadan. :) As I will arrive next to Ramadan beginning, do you have any advice for me, as I want to respect the culture, but still eat and drink? :)
7. Last, but not least. What can you do on your spare time, without great expenses? And besides going to the mall :P

Many thanks all,
Looking forward for the Dubai cultural immersion!

Ioana

Hi there!! I am moving next week and have done same list as u ( or even longer) LoL!! Im from argentina but lived in europe where most of my family is feom and the USA so i am kinda nervous too. I will let u know how things go and hopefully help u out! Good luck!!!

Dear Ioana, Please note the reply.

Reply: Of course, it's totally normal .. a lot of single ladies are working and living here and they come from all parts of the world.

2. Rentals. I looked it up online, I know it would be quite expensive, but I would pay around 1/3 of my salary on it, so people told me it's reasonable. I would like to live alone and next to the metro, of course. :P
Reply: You're right, house rents are one of the major cost in the budget, and it's somehow normal that you pay something between 35% to 40% of the salary in house rent, provided that you want to live near metro and/or any fancy location ;)

Reply: No comments :P

4. Medical system. My company will provide me with a medical insurance (don't know yet what it will cover). I will be interested in dental services there and physical therapy... Any advice on this?
Reply: Most of the insurance policies cover dental services, however, for pre-existing dental conditions you need to check with that specific insurance company; alternatively you can check with your company directly as they'll be aware about their health insurance policy.

5. The heat. As I will be moving nearly at the beginning of the hot dessert summer... Any advice on proper clothing/ food/ hydration? Or any idea on how a girl who is moving from Northern Denmark will manage to resist the heat? :)
Reply: No one can help on this point :P You can read online about the dress code; however, it is always recommended to wear decent dress, as you can see the same notification at every mall's entrance.

6. Ramadan. :) As I will arrive next to Ramadan beginning, do you have any advice for me, as I want to respect the culture, but still eat and drink? :)
Reply: Avoid drinking or eating in public places, and if you've colleagues who are fasting at work, so you shouldn't drink or eat in front of them, as a symbol of respect :)

7. Last, but not least. What can you do on your spare time, without great expenses? And besides going to the mall :P
Reply: Nothing specific, but you can go to a lot of cafes, coffee shops, shisha cafes, some concerts, watersports, parties etc.

Thank you kindly, James!
I am looking forward for this new life experience :)

I dont think you should have any issues... if you need any advises from UAE nationals please send me private message..

Hi, i guess u already moved here ... dubai is a very nice place to live and enjoy life till the max :) its super safe and super fun and lots of hard work as well ;) so work hard play hard :)))

please any question you need or any help you need here in dubai just contact me on my email [email protected]

Hi muhsin82 & Salamaki,

Thank you for the encouragements and tips :P
I will move in a couple of weeks or so, I am waiting for some papers from my home country in order to come to UAE.

Cheers,
Ioana

Hey. I am in Dubai for almost a month now...
I am really impressed and happy. There are indeed some negative aspects, but hey, that's life :)

Reply: Of course, it's totally normal .. a lot of single ladies are working and living here and they come from all parts of the world.
Ioana: Yes, indeed, I feel really safe!

Reply: You're right, house rents are one of the major cost in the budget, and it's somehow normal that you pay something between 35% to 40% of the salary in house rent, provided that you want to live near metro and/or any fancy location ;)
Ioana: Eventually I am living in shared accomodation and I'm not close to the metro, ha ha ha. I wanted to try shared in order to meet people and not to be alone all the time. And I am closer to the beach this way :D

Reply: No comments :P
Ioana: It's totally ok... :D

Reply: Most of the insurance policies cover dental services, however, for pre-existing dental conditions you need to check with that specific insurance company; alternatively you can check with your company directly as they'll be aware about their health insurance policy.
Ioana: No updates yet on this...

Reply: No one can help on this point :P You can read online about the dress code; however, it is always recommended to wear decent dress, as you can see the same notification at every mall's entrance.
Ioana: It is tolerable, but I cannot resist more than 10 minutes outsite, ha ha ha. I even went at the beach a couple of times, but in the morning...

Reply: Avoid drinking or eating in public places, and if you've colleagues who are fasting at work, so you shouldn't drink or eat in front of them, as a symbol of respect :)
Ioana: Since it started already, let's see how it goes. It should be ok, especially since I am working only until 3 pm :D

Reply: Nothing specific, but you can go to a lot of cafes, coffee shops, shisha cafes, some concerts, watersports, parties etc.
Ioana: Until now I went to some bars, restaurants, malls, clubs, beach, pool, jacuzzi... In 3 weeks I cannot complaint :D

Do you have a room for Rent yet??? Tks.

U welcome, dubai city of chances and a lot of things will let u love dubai, so we hope 2 meet u soon here in dubai, and I wish for a beautiful life n amazing future in dubai, see yaa Natalie