Still rainy season on Java?

Hi all, I live in China and have some vacation coming and was thinking of going to Java in the next couple weeks.  However, I am wondering how the weather is?  Is it still the rainy season and I'd be caught inside a lot of the time, or is it dry enough where I'd be able to be out all day long?

Thanks

Yep pretty much. The rain currently in Jakarta comes and goes but it has been raining for a bit every day for the last week or so but its all gone by 2. As for the rest of Java, not too sure but we are supposed to be entering the drier season.

Jakarta sees a few heavy, prolonged shows each week, every few days seems about right.
That, according to family in Central Java, holds true there as well.
There isn't enough to ruin a holiday, but a few trips into shopping centres might well be forced upon you.

Buy an umbrella and enjoy a break - Java is a wonderful place to visit.

As a note, an anthropologist would have a fantastic time in Central Javanese villages.
Many older people have never travelled more than a few miles, only speak local languages, and easily remember their family before western culture changed clothing styles.
My wife, who is less than 40 years old, remembers her grandfather wearing traditional dress as daily wear.

Edit - many older guys still wear that sort of kit when they go to market on Wage (Pro - waggie) or Pahing (Pro - pine).
The Javanese week has just 5 days, a killer to work out, more so when the old days are still in normal use in most villages. Village meetings were always held every fourth Wage.
Many villages are history in a modern world. You'd love it.

Yep its the inter-monsoon, monsoon season right now....... I work on 4 days cycles. The weather is similar for 4 or 8 days.

Thanks for the info.

Well, I only have a week and Yogyakarta would be where I'd spend most of the time to see the ruins, but also want to get to Gunung Padang.  Might be too much to cram in if it's raining a lot.

PathsUnwritten wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Well, I only have a week and Yogyakarta would be where I'd spend most of the time to see the ruins, but also want to get to Gunung Padang.  Might be too much to cram in if it's raining a lot.

Jogja is a lovely town, with very nice temples the authorities repaired after the big earthquake  few years ago.
If the old temples are your bag, don't forget to visit Borobudur and Dieng.
You'll easily do the run in a week.
Loads of good travel/tour companies that'll sort you out for a reasonable price.
If you start in Jogja, make sure you stay at the top of Jalan Maliaboro.
Loads of hotels ranging from the very cheap to the very nice.

PS - once you get into the hills, you'll see some stunning countryside.

Also, don't talk to the guys who want to help you. Loads around, but they all share one trait - they want to help you empty your wallet.
A polite but firm refusal of their services is in order.
If they follow you around, a louder refusal is in order, but remain polite.
Most disappeared a few years ago after a crackdown by the tourist police, but I'm unsure if they've returned or not as I have not had the great pleasure of visiting that beautiful city for a few years.

hi the weather is nice no could no hot come and enjoy here

It's still raining in Yogyakarta, yesterday I just went back from Yogya.
If you wanna hang out in Yogya or others, I suggest you to come on August, summer times.

Just in case anyone is interested.
Raining on and off in Jakarta.
Tends to be a massive storm about once a week.

Since the thread was dragged up kicking and screaming, rainy season seems to have lost its timetable this last couple of years so it's been a little less predictable.

Raincoats and boots not really relevant in this part of the world

We are currently in transition between seasons but that means it could rain or it wont. Jakarta should see rain from November but thats all anyone can say. In Java i suspect its the same. Raincoats are useful as are boots but only if you intend to walk in tropical rainstorms which whilst fun for the first few minutes soon stop to be.

Gravitas wrote:

Raincoats and boots not really relevant in this part of the world

I keep a set in the car just in case but I've never used them except when riding a motorbike. I also keep an emergency shelter and a load of other handy stuff but I'm way more careful/paranoid than most people :D .