Good History Book on Puerto Rico

Hi everyone,

My family and I are now less than two months from moving to Puerto Rico.  We are looking to move to Dorado or Caguas.  But before we move, we want to read a couple good history books on Puerto Rico.  I know I can go to Amazon and find some, but I am curious if anyone on this forum found good, readable, and most importantly objective history books that they would like to recommend. 

Thanks!

Tyler

I'm curious about history books as well. Here is a PBS documentary I found on YouTube. It's lengthy so grab some popcorn and a soda. I hope this could be something you can use until you find history books.

www.youtu.be/E3OOwPjVg3g

If you want to get deep into the history then start at the beginning with Christopher Columbus's "Letter to the Sovereigns" (1493). Then follow-up with Bartolome de las Casas. Any of his works will do much to educate the reader but perhaps start with "A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies".

For a pre-WWII view, read the chapter on PR in John Gunther's Inside Latin America (1940). The whole book is definitely worth a read.

There's a lot of marxist hackery out there when it comes to books on Latin America so beware.