Cost of Living in Kuala Lampur

Hi All,

I am Sam. I work with an Advertising firm in India. I have got an offer with a Malaysian company for RM-7500. Can you please let me know how much would it cost for me to settle in KL with my wife including rent a house, cost of living including food, transportation (mostly public transport), light and electricity. I also want to know how much can i save in RM-7500. Can someone please help me.

Regards, Sam

Tax is 25% for first 182 days (reimbursable in following tax year if certain conditions are met). Your monthly tax thereafter will be c. RM900 per month.

Housing depends what area you need to live in to be close to work/public transport - RM1500-2500
Supermarket RM1000-1500
Utilities/Internet/Phones RM500
Transport RM200

Goods and Service Tax is being charged by 6% from 1st of April 2015. Cost of living is expected to be more than what it used be last month. However RM7500 sounds good and probably after you settle down here and get familiar with the toll system and parking rates, Within 2-3 months you can think about purchasing your own car for your transportation.
Benefit of having your own transport is you can stay anywhere you want and you will be able to find very nice 2 bedroom apartment or studio apartment (fully furnished) within RM1600-1700/month plus you dont have to depend on public transport totally. If you don't like to drive in rush hour traffic. Just drive to a nearby LRT station and park the car and hop in the train. Trains are fast and cheap.
For your food expense (grocery) and some essential things you need at home for example an air freshner I would say RM 1200 is enough (before GST), probably will be okay with GST also. If you purchase a car with installment, its easy you just need a guarantor in Malaysia. If your company provide its easier. Per month installment you have to pay is around RM500-600 (maximum). Buy a brand new car from Proton Saga or Perodua Myvi (or other models), these are okay cars for small family and very economical + you will get free servicing warranty.
RM 200 for utility bills + Home Internet TM Unifi unlimited use is RM150)
Approx RM 5000 you live quality life but only get to save RM2500

Rest you get to save for your future. :)