Moving to Sri-Lanka with 5year old

Hi everyone,
We've got a chance to move to SL as my husband received a job offer. And if accepted, this is basically "no return" point.
The main reason of creating the new topic is because (if) we moving not to Colombo or any other big town but to a farm somewhere in National Park. Close to a main road but fair distance from nearest town.
Any pros and cons are very welcome.
Thanks.

Hi,
If you need any information, feel free to contact me via skype
add me :  smlgroupfe_sapthaw
I am sure you will not regret moving to sri lanka , for sure you will find good education for your kid.

Hi,
Sorry, I do not use Skype. Can we chat here or by e-mail?
Thanks

oh sure thing, i will send my email id by personal msg

If you are being located close to a National Park then the chances of finding a good English school for your 5 year old may not be as good as what you will be able to get in Colombo.

The national parks are all located in the rural areas where the infrastructure and conveniences are not as up to date as the urban cities. However, they are extremely beautiful, quiet, serene, and slubrient in their environmental aspect.

Good Luck

Hey,
i have moved to Colombo from Dubai this May and I have a baby who is 11 month old now. I really like the place, though not as glamorous as Dubai, I like the natural beauty, the smiling people and the food. really looking to make some friends.
Kamalika

Hi,

I am looking to move to Sri lanka with my husband and our three boys (10,8 & 21 months).  We would like to rent a small house somewhere near a safe beach, not too busy, and preferrably where I can take some yoga classes.  We are homeschoolers and would be happy to meet any other people who are familiar with Sri Lankan living. 
Any suggestions as to where might be a good place to start and what to consider before our move would also be very welcome.
Best Wishes to All
Ellie Walker

Mount Lavinia will be the best place , cost could be around 300-700US$ and you may find good schools for kids and there are many foreigners around the aria, also nice beach and not to far from center of the city, if you need any more information just add me to skype ,msn or any I will be able to share and help you.

Saptha

thanks saptha, do you mean a house would be around 300 - 700US is that per month? 
I am looking for a small house, one a sri lankan would live in, I am not really looking for an expat life....more a simple life, for the time being anyway.  My children are homeschooled so we wouldn't need a school, especially an expat school,....would you still suggest Mt Lavinia...??  We have visited Sri Lanka before, about a 100 years ago before children :/ and are happy to live quietly for awhile....any suggestions?   Are you an expat Saptha or a Sri Lankan?  What should we look out for..?  I have read a couple of threads and they speak about foreigners being ripped off....sigh, which I remember now....but I mostly remember the lovely people and the slow pace....I am hoping not too much has changed??
thanks again for any ideas or thoughts you might have.
Ellie.

oh come on , its not that true foreigners ripped off , on beach you may find some people trying to sell things and stuff but compare to India , Bangladesh and most of the asian countries sri lanka is much much better and secure. small house will be more than 150$ for sure also you have have to keep 6 month or 1 year deposit. try searching on www.bhoomi.lk ,www.lankaland.com or there few more if you really interested on beach , Mt.Lavinia will be the best close place to town or else negombo thats bit far from city aprox 1.5 -2hours travel time to colombo

Hey did I offend you?  I don't think of SL as anything but lovely, which is why I am looking to bring my family there.....perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned what I have read on this forum.....it doesn't really bother me anyway...so sorry if that offended you.....thanks for the info.

not really i am open to discuses , any country has pro's and con's with experience i gain trough travelling and living in many countries , Sri lanka is not a bad place and its bit more secure compare to many in the asia. I am cool with your comments its good you prepare for bad comments so good things come as value added trough. just saw you from Christchurch I miss to visit there I been to auckland & rotruwa but not Christchurch , really wanna go there before i Die :)