What kind of work I could find there

Hey I'm luke and I'm planning on moving to trujillo in October.my girlfriend lives there and I am just wondering what kind of work I could find there for myself.my Spanish is also not so good but I'm taking a class to learn.thank you

Hi Luke,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Peru forum for more visibility.

What kind of job are you looking for please? Maybe you can tell us a bit more on your professional background?

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

L u k e,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am going to sound like your father................. !

First,,, typical on the books type of work is not allowed,, if there was a job opening,, you could not be hired on a visa. If you had a company support you and pre hire or sponsor you,,,,, you could get a work visa.

If an alternative is to work OFF the book like even most Peruvians...... you would be paid on a scale of typical Peruvian wages...... meaning....... you won't earn very much even working like most here,,,,,, 10 hrs a day / 6 days a week.

Generally... here Unemployment is very high....... so opportunities are few !

Not having Spanish language skills is a huge disadvantage but don't be too concerned because if you were a UN League Interpreter...... you would still have difficulty finding work.

Your entry visa will give you 90 days automatically,, when you enter.. ask for 180 and you can say that your going to do Youth volunteer work,,,,,,

now,, you might be thinking to Teach English ,,, a good idea but the pay is also very low,,, and,,,, for the more Sophisiticated jobs here you need TEFL Certification.......

so,,,,,,,, I still think you should come and let things work themselves out......but for you,,,,,, I write this so you have a reasonable 'heads up'................

It would be a good idea to bring as much moolah [ money ] as you can and dollars convert well [ about 1$ to s/.3 ] and easily - [ the Dollar is Peru's second currency ]

I do not want you to think I am raining on your parade........ I am just informing you of the way things are..... and of course,, you will want to seek a second opinion.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to give you my opinion....... just ask........

pistachio

ps........ I lived in Trujillo for about 2+ years and now in Huanchaco about 16km out......