About to move to Phnom Penh!

Hi my name is Kristen, I'm a 25 year old Canadian from Toronto and I am moving to Phnom Penh in 2 weeks for at least a year to work for an Non Profit Organization. I'm really excited and just here looking for other English speaking expats! :)

Welcome on Expat-blog Kristen! :) I'm sure you find lot of new contacts on the site and do share your expat experience with us when you arrive in Cambodia. :)

You might also view the Phnom Penh expat network for more more contacts.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Kristen,

My name's Samantha and I'm from the UK. I moved to Phnom Penh just over 2 months ago and am working as a teacher. What kind of NGO will you be working for? Good luck with the move!

:-)

Hi Samantha! That's my middle name :)

I'll be working for a health focused non profit as theirr communications intern. They work primarily in the Leva Em district, so I'll be making trips out to the villages once or twice a week!

How do u like PP so far? Have you met many expats?

K

Congratulations on the new job!

I love Phnom Penh so far. I've met expats through work, mainly other teachers at my school. But I joined this site to try and meet people outside of work too. There are a lot more expats here than I expected when I first came over so it shouldn't be too hard to meet new people.

Good to know! Maybe we can meet up when I'm there. Is there a lot to do (movies, sightseeing, restaurents, nightlife?) And is it fairly cheap? I'll be living on a meagre intern salary lol. Also my work is lending me a scooter but I heard there are zero traffic laws- will I die? lol. Thanks!

I hope to be coming in Nov, thinking about getting my own scooter.. should be fun have to take a few moto-dup drives first and get a feel first of what it is like.  lol... no helmets!!!!!

Should get a group together and get a cheap boat ride up the river to see the freshwater dolphins..sound like fun!

I would definitely recommend wearing a helmet on a Moto. It's the easiest way to get around but make sure your health insurance covers moto accidents. There are a few. Anything goes really when driving. Doesn't seem to matter which lane your in or which direction your going. The police sometimes try to stop you, but they just want like $5 then let you go. Most people don't stop.

I've found living pretty cheap. Depends what area you live in. Rents are higher in the Expat/touristy places. If you eat at Khmer restaurants its much cheaper than western restaurants. Street food is a bit like russian roulette. There are lots of restaurants and bars particularly along the riverside.

There's touristy things to do like the Genocide museum, killing fields, Royal Palace, all the different Wats, cruising the Mekong etc. Think there is one tiny cinema called Flicks. But it doesn't show the latest movies or anything. You can buy all the dodgy dvds you need from the Russian market.

Thanks for the info Samantha. Apparently work has found me accommodation by the Russain market...good to know that I'll be near cheap shopping!

Practical question for you - I'm arriving right in the middle of monsson season...should I bring rainboots or does everyone just wear flip flops in the floods?

Also, what are you doing for a phone? I was going to buy a smartphone there because I heard they were cheaper than over here. True?

Thanks!

I just bought a cheap, basic nokia phone out here for like $20 and a sim card. There are lots of iphone knock offs and other phones but i'm not that technologically advanced i'm afraid. I just need a phone i can call and text with. Friends of mine have bought the latest phones but the programmes are in chinese. Maybe i'm not the best person to advise on this :/

I thought the same thing about monsoon season!! I've only seen people wearing the normal flip-flops and shoes though. It only really rains hard for 1 maybe 2 hours a day, usually in the afternoon or evening. Some places flood, some don't. People generally don't got out in it. Tuktuks have like a zip up cover to keep you dry. Everyone wears a big plastic poncho if you do go out in the rain, especially on motos. Nobody here is really fashion conscious. People walk around in pyjamas like its a matching suit.

The Russian market is great for cheap shopping and a new bar just opened up in the area. Quite a few restaurants. And the rent is generally cheaper. Lots of expats and travellers around that area too.

Thanks for the info. All good to know for sure.

How about wifi spots? Abundant or not so much?

K

So much valuable info!  What area is the Russian market area? Can I locate it on a map?  Thanks!

Hi Avamariec! :) It would be better if you start your own topic on the Phnom Penh forum.

Thank you
Christine

Lots of restaurants, bars and coffee shops have wifi. Especially the expat and tourist places. That's definitely not something that you need to worry about. Although some places don't allow you to download, things like music and films.

Yeah the Russian Market is on the map. In Khmer its called Toul Tom Pong. Its South West (i think) of the riverside. It's in all the local guide books here anyway.

I've been in PP 5 years now. Sam is pointing you in the right direction. Just one thing to add - crash helmets for moto drivers have been compulsory for about a year now. Traffik is a lot less chaotic than a few years ago.

andyha,

That is good news about the helmats, is it cheaper to buy one and bring??

Oh and what is the going rate for a good used scooter?

Sorry, haven't checked in for a while.

You can get helmets very cheap here, but they're probably as useful as an eggshell if you fall on your head. If you're a safety monster, better bring your own.

Crappy 2nd hand moto - about $300-400; decent from c. $600.

Hi,
FYI Samantha for the fine it's 5000 riel if you are driving a moto and $10 000 if you are driving a car.

Take care

Hey Kristen,

I am Barbara, from Belgium. I just moved to PP and I am working here as an expat for an NGO (like so many people!:). Because I am new in Phnom Penh and I would like to meet some nice people.
I just red your message and I would love to go for a drink/lunch or dinner.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Greets,
Barbara

[email protected]