Affordable transportation options in Eqaila

If you have a full-time job and you cannot drive nor do you feel comfortable taking the public buses, how does one get round? I know cabs are available but isn't is incredibly expensive to get to and from work via cab everyday? How much does it cost to get a personal driver 5 days a week? Are they reliable? I come from London so public transport is my life! I don't know how I would manage in Kuwait.

What area do you work in, and what area do you live in?  Are they're others where you work that use transport driver services?  There might be a simple answer, and or it may be more complex... you can also sometimes find a taxi driver you can cut a deal with, for a monthly rate ...same time each day... but they can at times be unreliable when they occasionally catch other opportunities for a quick billing, and you probably don't want to make a habit of showing late at least once a week.  It's also nice to have a driver you can call on when you want to go places in the evening and on weekends (having two or three options is always smart).  One other thing to keep in mind here, ...it might also be smart to retain the perspective of safety over cost, especially in the eve's. 

Good Luck with you adventure!  :D

two words: car pool

no no wait, thats one word, for this meaning, the other one would be really cool but extremely dangerous :/

in all seriousness tho; there are two types of taxi in kuwait - roaming and call. a call taxi is a company with a dispatch you call and ask for a driver to come to your location. fixed rates, safer.

roaming taxis are a gamble.

i did spot a few "pink" taxis in hawally, awaiting registration. soon maybe?

what area is your place of work?

Thanks for your help!

I haven't started working their yet - I'll be working in Al-Eqaila. Do you know how much it'd cost to have one of those cab services that take me to and from work five days a week? (assuming I find a reliable one). Say I live 30mins from work, how much is a reasonable monthly charge? I'm trying to work out my expenses based on the offer I've been given.

Car pool sounds like expat heaven but I have not met my colleagues yet so I don't yet know how cool they are.

another follow-up... thirty minutes at speed... or thirty minutes in traffic?  lol ... thirty min's in traffic could mean your living in Eqaila too!  lol  (a little exaggeration there - but probably not by much)  :P

A standard cab fee for a 30 min ride each way for a westerner would be about 3-4 kd (7kd pre day / 35 a week / 140 per month / I'm sure you could get a "much" better monthly rate!) ... or plan on living closer (do you know the area your suppose to be staying in?)

:D

I'm not sure I understand.

As I will be working in Eqaila I would think it'd be sensible to live in the same area no? So yes, that's the plan. I don't really understand what or where Eqaila is. I need educating on Kuwait cities, provinces and districts it seems.

you said in your second statement you were living 30 min's away... hell, that put's you in the city (non-inclusive of traffic)

the districts are rather small, if your living in Eqaila, and working in Eqaila... well then the question is quite moot (the north american legal meaning)... just walk ... lol

yes, pull up google maps and educate yourself ... my suggestion would be to live where you work (and you have a decent size mall & grocery there as well), worry about the transportation issues on your days off ... lol

other reasonable close by area's (within say a five to ten minute drive - not factoring traffic) would be Fintas and Maboulah

Enigmausly, that's very helpful, thank you!

It'd be wicked to live walking distance from work, imagine how much I could save. I always prefer walking to public transport here in London but I imagine the weather in Kuwait isn't going to make walking easy. I remember walking to a mall in Dubai 10mins from my hotel and I nearly passed out because it was so humid!

Thanks again!

Mkathiri wrote:

Enigmausly, that's very helpful, thank you!

It'd be wicked to live walking distance from work, imagine how much I could save. I always prefer walking to public transport here in London but I imagine the weather in Kuwait isn't going to make walking easy. I remember walking to a mall in Dubai 10mins from my hotel and I nearly passed out because it was so humid!

Thanks again!

i work also iN Egaila.. i go also with private transport.. and its 15-20mins to go to work... 15KD to 20KD rates.  if you interested in... let me  know through inbox... thanks..  😊

Hello....
working 6days a week here.. 
i work also iN Egaila.. i go also with private transport.. and its 15-20mins to go to work... 15KD to 20KD rates.  if you interested in... let me  know through inbox... thanks..  😊

It is rarely humid in Kuwait, just hot. I walked to work about 1.5 KM every day in Mangaf. But I had purchased a collapsible umbrella with a UV lining. You can find them in Kuwait. I got mine at the Lulu Hypermart, or bring one with you. It felt strange to me, as a Westerner, to use an umbrella in dry weather. But considering the benefits, I soon adjusted.  ;)  If I wanted to go somewhere I flagged down a taxi and haggled the price before I got in. Once I met a taxi driver or two that I liked I obtained his mobile # and just called him. Sometimes I would even have them take me to the Friday market and bargain for me. Of course I reimbursed him for that time. I hope this helps.