How to rent and live permanently in Costa Rica + getting a car

Salud!

My name is Martin and my Wife is Nanci.

We are looking to rent and live permanently in Costa Rica.  We will buy a car and then eventually a house.

Any advice to this end would be greatly appreciated.

Some expats Do buy cars.  How do you go about getting a reliable used 4x4.

Thanks!

Martin

Suggest you read up on living here legally and what finances are required.Suggest you visit prior to moving, if you haven't already done so.
Good luck!

Thanks, That's an excellent website.  I put all the pertinent info in an email.

Does anyone know if the pensionado visa requirement of 1000 dollars a month is for a couple (husband and wife)  or is that for a single person?  If more is needed for a couple, how much is it?

It is per married couple.  Common law will not work. Here is a pertinent link.

Pensionado status is for those with a 'guaranteed for life' pension and the US$1000 is for for one or a family.
Once a legal resident you are mandated to be affiliated with the Costa Rican socialized health care system, and the cost is devised by the amount of the pension and age of the applicants, being above or below the age of 55. If under 55 the premium is almost double.
The application process will take approx. one year.

great info. thanks!

Hello Martin

I have created a new thread from your post so that you get more specific responses in regard to your queries :)

Are you heading to any specific city in Costa Rica?

I wish you all the best in your endeavours  :top:

Cheers

Mishna

I'd like to live in esterillos or another place near Jaco.  However, I'll probably spend at least a month in San Jose until I can find a suitable place closer to good surfing.

Decent vehicles are not cheap here ...possibly double ... and bringing one with you, will require you to pay a high duty on them.
Driving here causes problems for some,while  waiting for residency