How have you physically adjusted well to the tropical climate?

Hola group

I'm originally from the cool climate of Seattle, and I've been in Puerto Rico for five months now.   

Physically, I've noticed a frequent up and down in my energy level while living here for a few months.
Have you experienced this too? I am sweating ALOT, so I will buy an electrolyte product to add to water, and drink. I'll see if electrolytes help boost or help maintain my energy. After I've tried this for awhile, I'll come back here and let you know if it worked. 

How about you?
How have you physically adjusted well to the tropical climate after living in a different environment?

Ice cold beer!

Hi Deborah:

I am used to a cooler climate as well - our last two tours were in Alaska and Connecticut.  I am a runner and cyclist and had to modify my training program considerably when we arrived here.  I run before 7AM and ride before 10AM.  And I relish the rain :)

It took me nearly one year to acclimate somewhat (I am by no means fully acclimated).  Using an electrolyte-replacement beverage has helped me tremendously.  My stomach is a bit sensitive, so I had to play around with different drinks.  I wound up using one that I used about 10 years ago when I was competing on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!

Mrkpytn wrote:

Ice cold beer!

Right!

On a more serious note, I drink a lot of water. We have a cooler with a 5 gallon bottle and it seldom lasts longer than two, three days (for two people).
I avoid doing bodily work during the hot hours.
Other than that I should have moved here ages ago! No more winters for me!!

If you're using a lot of AC at home then it's slowing your system down (or stopping it) from properly acclimatizing to the heat.

NomadLawyer wrote:

If you're using a lot of AC at home then it's slowing your system down (or stopping it) from properly acclimatizing to the heat.

I agree with this. Kick the A/C habit & you will acclimate much more rapidly. (It's better for the environment too, not to mention your electric bill.)

I grew up in a climate where 78F was a warm summer day. Here if the temperature in the room is 75F when I wake up, I'm shivering.

Thanks for all the tips!  :top:

Okay. So far, here is a list of suggestions on how to physically accumulate to the tropical climate of Puerto Rico; and what I'm doing about this so far...

1. drink cold beer - (I have done and do this but tend to feel more physically groggy the next day)
2. intake electrolytes - (I will do)
3. physically exerting the body during cooler hours - (I do this)
4. live without air conditioning - (I do this inside my home and often while driving - with all the windows rolled down)
5. drink lots of water - (I do this)
6. give it time - (I will do)

Is there anything else I can do?

I do not know if this is a scientific fact but it takes me about 2 years to fully acclimate to heat or cold. After living in Florida for a few years I moved back to Michigan where I grew up and no matter how warmly I dressed the cold was always penetrating. The Michigan summers seemed tortuously hot but after years in the tropics the heat is far more manageable. Here we have the option of going up the mountain to adjust the temperature. The hottest time for me is when the humidity is high. Here on the South coast it is very hot during the day but with the dryness the nights are very cool. I find the weather just about perfect 8 months out of the year.

DeborahMarchant wrote:

Thanks for all the tips!  :top:

Okay. So far, here is a list of suggestions on how to physically accumulate to the tropical climate of Puerto Rico; and what I'm doing about this so far...

1. drink cold beer - (I have done and do this but tend to feel more physically groggy the next day)
2. intake electrolytes - (I will do)
3. physically exerting the body during cooler hours - (I do this)
4. live without air conditioning - (I do this inside my home and often while driving - with all the windows rolled down)
5. drink lots of water - (I do this)
6. give it time - (I will do)

Is there anything else I can do?

Get one of those funny hats with the mini electric fan hanging off the bill

When I first got to Panama, which is a lot hotter than PR, I had all sorts of problems such as truly terrible rashes, something called "prickly heat" (it's hellish), etc. This happened to all the new soldiers there. But that was due to jungle training. After a few years in Panama, my unit came from Panama to PR for a month of training at Camp Santiago in Salinas. It was paradise. I never slept so well in the "field", as they call it. Now that I'm acclimatized to Ireland, being in PR in summer makes me very uncomfortable.

The Army said it would take at least 30 - 60 days for a typical soldier to become acclimatized as long as there wasn't any exposure to AC. I imagine that the older we get, the longer this process takes. It's also normal for this to vary amongst individuals.

Oh good! More good tips.  :top:  Muchas Gracias!

Here is link to another website that I just found. It has some similar and additional tips...

http://expatriates.stackexchange.com/qu … cal-climat

Here is a "Google" search that I just did, and that produced even more insights...
https://www.google.com.pr/search?client … sAS3_YL4BQ

Thanks again!