Almost there! HELLO HCMC

The time has come and I'm sitting in JFK awaiting my departure flight to HCMC!!!  I'm with my girlfriend Sarah (who already has a job...) and am so unbelievably excited to begin this new adventure.  I've asked a few questions to all of you and any responses have been helpful.  Here are some fun questions that I have since I'm sitting here and have a few more minutes before shipping out.

1) Will I be able to find clothing...I mean, I'm 6'2" and will probably look like a tall freak of nature.

2) Still need a place to live, we are good for 10 days, but I would love some help with finding a single bedroom apartment, not a studio, and around 500USD, district 1,3, or 5 preferred.

3) Is it true that apps like instagram and facebook and triviacrack and simcity build it won't work?  I need my trivia.

4) Most importantly!  I still need a job.  I have applied to a number of places and am awaiting to hear back.  If anybody could help an expat out it would be much appreciated.  I have five years teaching experience, cert. in TESOL, a positive attitude, and a go-get-em attitude. 

If anybody would like to hang out, Sarah and I are open to meet everyone and experience the culture HCMC has to offer!

- There are always good tailors for your need.

- With $500 budget, you will have plenty of choices for a place to stay, even in the centre of D1.

- Facebook will help you find a lot of local and expat friends, and so will Expat.com.  :)

- Many schools (big and small) are looking for native teachers, all you need to do is to go and ask them, then apply...

--> Have a safe flight, and welcome to Vietnam.  :)

Hi,

If you need a place to live, pls read my post. It takes time for me to write it but no one reads!!! Poor me!

By the way, the information in this post is new.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 29#2487647

Hope it is helpful to you!

Regards

It's great getting here. Everything went so smoothly in the airport. No nightmares tonight. Sarah and I tried to open a citibank account but need one more document. Womp womp...

Traffic is so much fun I think. After realizing the rules for crossing the street is "no fear" we were able to stroll all over the place. Tomorrow we are checking out some apartments and heading to the US embassy for a chance to introduce our arrival. Job hunting is also in store for myself.

Can't wait to meet some more expats. I feel the culture shock will be subtle.  Any help or advice would be highly appreciated!