Vietnamese Taxes: To file or not to file

Hi all.  I was paid by three different schools in 2014, all of whom collected taxes on my behalf.  All of them are telling me that I need to collect the PIT receipts and then go to the local tax office to file (i.e. get taken for more money...).  But I've spoken to to co-workers who have been here for years, been paid by multiple sources, and have never filed.  What say you??  Do I need to go to the office or can I just assume that whatever taxes were collected on my behalf are enough???

Thanks!!

You really need to keep a record at least. How do you know that your employer is actually handing over cash to the tax people?

When I worked I Iran, the deal there was that if you couldn't produce an up to date tax certificate, you were detained by immigration when leaving the country. That doesn't happen in Vietnam, at least not so far.

I have a PIT invoice from all 3 schools, so I know the taxes were paid.  The only question is if I need to do more than hold on to those invoices?

Watch out for PIT liabilities even though they are being deducted from your salary!
I have just been informed I am being denied exit from the country until I can produce evidence that the Personal Income Tax has been paid by my previous employer. All I knew was that PIT was being withdrawn from my salary each month. At the time of my employment I was advised it was a company responsibility as there is no method by which an employee can pay PIT on behalf of the foreign company, but logic doesn't count when they don't get their money. I should have known as they weren't paying the superannuation payments either.
Not only a problem with Vietnamese laws but also ineffectual laws in Australia. Taxes and superannuation taken out of salaries and then not paid to the authorities as required by law.
So I am caught in no mans land. The Vietnamese government wants their money and
All I can say is ensure you are personally covered by your employer for all issues when you work overseas.