Seeking infos about Almaty - Leisures, Cost of Live-Any expats around?

Hi, my name is Michelle and I currently live in Toronto, Canada.  My husband has an opportunity to move to Almaty.  We have 2 children who are currently in university.  They will be staying in Canada to complete there education.   I would like to know what are some of the things people like to do for excitement.  How much English tv do you get.  How much is food? What is housing like? What are the costs?

I would also like to know about the expat community in Almaty.

Cheers

Michelle

Hello Michelle and welcome on board Expat.com

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Almaty forum so as to help you get better interactions.

While waiting for members to revert back, I invite you to browse through the forum to gather some infos. Threads in our :

1. Cost of Living in Almaty
2. Leisures in Almaty might interest you most.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Michelle, I am originally from Toronto. I've been resident in Almaty for nearly 2 years.

In answer to your questions: I strongly suggest you visit Almaty before making a long term commitment; Almaty & Kazakhstan is not really for everyone!

The first thing you may wish to consider is language: maybe 10 to 15% of the Almaty population speaks a meaningful amount of English (or French, or German...).

Second: food: there are lots of excellent restaurants in Almaty but the supermarkets are really, really awful. Forget Loblaws!

Third: cost of living: Almaty is an expensive place to live. Incomes taxes is low (10%) but cost of living an expat's existence is not low.

Expat scene: yes there is one though I am generally too busy to take much notice.

Good luck!