Food and goods supply offer - North Coast

Hi everybody,

I'll be moving to the DR within 2 months, and I'm a bit concerned about the supply of food and goods over there.
I heard it's hard to find some basic food supplies in the region, having to go to Santiago to get it (and even there, it's hard to find).
Would you tell me how is the supply of food and goods in the north coast region (more specifically Cabarete and Sosua), I mean, where do you buy it? How expensive are they? (e.g olive and other vegetable oils, good quality pasta, natural/organic products, coffee, grains, organic fruits and vegetables in general, cereals, etc)...
How about personal care products?
And what's the product/food you miss the most that you can't find there?
I'm asking because I'm thinking of taking some basic survival things with me, so I'l have enough at least until I settle my life and get to know the regional markets and suppliers, as I care a lot about my diet.

Thanks in advance!   :D
Fe

Wait you are coming here to the north coast to live and have never been here before??????   Oh boy :D

As to food items you can find everything here you need with out bringing lots of stuff in or going to Santiago.  There are three major food markets here in the immediate area and an even bigger one in Puerto Plata (25 min away). The only thing we bring in is Almond flour and chick pea flower though you can get both here now but a bit pricey.  So when one of us goes back to the US for a visit we bring it back with us, otherwise buy it here.

Every thing else  you can find here. If you buy imported stuff it will be more expensive than the local brands and eve more that back home.  So we use mainly local products.

Only thing I miss from back home is a good corned beef sandwich.

Bob K

Some specialty brands of hair and makeup are hard to find.  For that we have Ebay and Amazon......... you can get most everything here easily in terms of food.

That's great news! I'm more relieved.
I've been there before Bob, but didn't have the chance to go to the market...
:)
Thanks guys!

Siempre!!!!

Ok well enjoy!

Please let us know if you need more info or help with navigating living here

Bob K

That's very nice of both of you :)
Certainly I'll be around, especially when I'm there!
Despite my boyfriend is Dominican, he's lived in Canada for the past 12 years and he has never lived in the north coast. So yeah, all the help and tips are appreciated. I learned a lot already by reading some posts in the forum.
As for myself, I'm kind of used to Latin culture, as I'm from Brazil and lived in Ecuador for a while. Again, I'm aware DR is different, but hey, humans adapt!
Cheers! :D

Yep adaptability is sooooo important here.
I like you attitude

Bob K

It sure is.  Sounds like you are going to have some FUN!!!!