Divorce lawyer

Hi

Have just discovered this forum so this is my first post but based on what i have been reading here it seems like a good place for a Gringo to get some advice on everyday issues while living in Brazil. So here is my question :

Is there anyone who can recommend a good divorce lawyer in the Rio - Macae area ?

Hi Cabo Frio,

I know an excellent lawyer here in Macaé, he's fluent in English having lived for several years in the USA. I've dealt with him personally and he's top notch on immigrations law. I presume that he's up to speed on family law too.

First of all it would help to know if you intend to go for a judicial divorce through the court system, or you're talking about a consensual divorce in the Cartório? A judicial divorce is an extremely bureaucratic and very lengthy process. If you've been separated (judicially or de facto) for one year then you can go direct to divorce in the Cartório, provided that there are no unresolved issues such as custody and access of minor children, or alimony and child support (pensão alimenticia).

The Cartório divorce is relatively inexpensive and quick. The added advantage is that if you are both agreeable you can have ONE lawyer represent you both in the matter at the Cartório. I'll send you a private message and look forward to your response shortly.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks for your quick reply !

I have sent you a private message

There are many divorce lawyers who can help you in your divorce case. Divorce lawyer Hawthorne (saxtonfamilylawattorney.com/hawthorne/) can prove be of great help and are good consultants.Hiring a good divorce attorney always make your case strong and assure you of getting fair results for you.

Sorry Anne, but new members are not permitted to post outside links to the forums. That restriction will be lifted in time, the more you participate in the forums.

While what you say about a good divorce lawyer, may be all well and good in North America it definitely is not necessarily so here in Brazil. I presume that you haven't got much "boots on the ground" experience here yet.

Brazilian marital laws are pretty much carved in stone and if that isn't a sufficient disadvantage to expats married here, there are a number of civil laws surrounding acquiring, registering and owning property, inheritance and succession, etc., that also adversely impact on us "gringos". Lawyers here can't change the outdated laws, they can only work within the very limited framework of it.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

James,

A most helpful response.

"I know an excellent lawyer here in Macaé, he's fluent in English having lived for several years in the USA. I've dealt with him personally and he's top notch on immigrations law. I presume that he's up to speed on family law too."

How can I send you a personal email?

Thank you!!!!!!

I'll send you a private message, then you can reply to me there.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!