Getting Few tests exempted on basis of exisiting Indian license

Hello Friends,

I am carrying Indian driving License and would be applying for Oman Driving License. I have few Queries, would appreciate if someone will help me out

(1) I am having valid Indian 4 wheeler License Valid till 2025, but its a paper one and not the Card one. I heard that   
     one need to have Card license in order to get few test exemptions.
     I am coming back to India in July , so my plan is to convert that paper license to card one during that time and 
      then apply for License.
     So now my question is : Would authority consider that Card License as Valid for giving me few test exemptions?

(2) In case point 1 ans is yes, i.e. they give me exemptions.The other issue is the fact that i dont know driving at all.
     So would it be possible for instructor  to teach me driving from scratch knowing that i am getting few test     
     exempted on the basis of Valid Indian License.

(3) In case i dont ask or dont get any exemption in tests on the basis of Indian License  , Is it going to be a drastic 
      cost difference if we compare the money spent on passing the tests which i would have otherwise got exempted   
     due to exisiting Indian driving License.

Thanks,

I beg to ask you this question, how did you get the initial driving license without knowing driving at all. The tests that you can get exempted would be the drum and the slope, those aren't very difficult tests and its worth to do them even if you do have a provision to exclude them.

The ROP would want the Indian Embassy to Authenticate your driving license and its just best to check with them whether they accept paper licenses.

The way I see it, its worth doing all the tests, the drum and slope should take about 10 classes I guess (I took about 7) they really aren't very difficult if you grasp the basics. So in essence you will be doing about 10 classes and fees for one test.

Even I am wondering how you got a licence without even knowing how to drive a four-wheeler?

As suggested by Rammy87, you will be only exempt from the drum and slope test, and it is advisable to take the test even if one gets an exemption.

The trainers normally charge RO 10 for one hour and ten classes would cost you 100 OMR which is approx 16000 INR. The fees for each test would be another 20 OMR (3200 INR) separately besides the training fees.

Further, you need additional classes for the road test and this should be tough if you do not know driving at all. You will probably have to take another 30 classes for the road test which will further cost you additionally.

I would suggest you take a contract for all the three tests, i.e. drum, slope and the road test and this would cost around 300 OMR depending on the city in which you live, so if you pass in the first attempt the entire amount should be around 50,000 INR.

In India, the entire licensing procedure would cost not more than around 5000 INR inclusive of training and licence fees which is damn cheap.

Moreover, you also need to factor in other factors such as the impatience of Omani trainers  who would yell at you at the slightest mistake you do while training.

The best part of this post is the "Innocence" ....  the person admits that he doesn't know the driving while he acquires a  4WD license... LoL!

And over and above, knowing that he doesn't know driving, he wants to exempt few tests...  a Double LOL!!   :one

Hi rajarora,

For your won safety and considering the safety of the other drivers using the road, I would urge you to please take proper driving lessons before you hit the tarmac !

Good luck.