Need some information- possibly moving from USA

Hello,

My husband is considering taking a job in Hamburg. I am an elementary school teacher with a master's degree in teaching English as a second language. I have previously only used it with native Spanish speakers. I am wondering if there will be job opportunities for me in Hamburg. I am fluent in English and Spanish. I am open to teaching full or part time, or simply tutoring children through adults.

We also have a 6 month old daughter. I am wondering what kind of family events, outings, or groups there are in the city for new parents or families with small children. I am afraid that while my husband is out working I will be very isolated with a baby and no German knowledge. I am willing to learn as much as I can, but am nervous I will be very lonely.

I would also like to know approximately how much to budget for an apartment, utilities, groceries, public transit, etc per month. We would like to have a 2 bedroom apartment ideally near a park because we do have a little dog. We are unsure if we would bring the dog with us or not.

Another thing other expats could help us understand is how the tax/health insurance system works in Germany and how to plan for that. Should we keep American bank accounts?  I am assuming there are lots of things that we are overlooking. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Yes, you are overlooking that in the end none of the topics you mentioned will determine how happy you are in Germany.
That is solely depending on how tolerant, non-judgemental and adaptable you are!
About all the other topics you can already find lots of information on this forum if you search.
You do need to learn the language if you want to build a healthy social life and/or find a job (even one teaching English)!

I have lived abroad before in Mexico, and really enjoyed it. If this was a year ago and I didn't have my baby yet I would be on the next plane ready to take on the challenge. She's my number one concern though. If I can find a network or support system I will be a lot more comfortable.

Don't worry, many babies live in Germany and they do live well.
And so will yours!

Hi,

Ill try to help as much as possible as i relocated here 4 months ago

My husband is considering taking a job in Hamburg. I am an elementary school teacher with a master's degree in teaching English as a second language. I have previously only used it with native Spanish speakers. I am wondering if there will be job opportunities for me in Hamburg. I am fluent in English and Spanish. I am open to teaching full or part time, or simply tutoring children through adults.

To work here, youll need a work permit, unless you sort your things out with your employer

We also have a 6 month old daughter. I am wondering what kind of family events, outings, or groups there are in the city for new parents or families with small children. I am afraid that while my husband is out working I will be very isolated with a baby and no German knowledge. I am willing to learn as much as I can, but am nervous I will be very lonely.

chk with toytowngermany.com/ for the family events. But bear in mind, you are new, so youll be alone and youll get bored, atleast until you get the hang of the place here. so mentally and psychologically prepare yourself, you need to keep yourself busy

I would also like to know approximately how much to budget for an apartment, utilities, groceries, public transit, etc per month. We would like to have a 2 bedroom apartment ideally near a park because we do have a little dog. We are unsure if we would bring the dog with us or not.

appartment of two bedrooms wouldbe anything from 600 to 800 euros , utilities ,usually come with the aprtments, but i would add an extra 200 euro.

so a flat and utilities will add up to approx 1000 euros

groceries: youll need around 25-45 euros a day,depends if you cook or want to get take aways for you and your husband, no idea how much money youll need for your baby

transportation: monthly bus pass around 70 euros

Dog: get the dog here, alot of places, to walk the dog, although its too freaking cold, even the dog would rather stay home and watch TV

Another thing other expats could help us understand is how the tax/health insurance system works in Germany and how to plan for that. Should we keep American bank accounts?  I am assuming there are lots of things that we are overlooking. Any advice is appreciated.

Tax is tricky over here, because youll have to pay around [17% to 25% [ and would increase as salary do. And even when outside the united states, youll have to pay taxes , so better check with an attorney on this issue.

Hope what i mentioned above helped

GL