UK Expat Moving To Budapest ???

Hi

New member here, UK expat now living in spain but looking to move to Budapest for a new adventure. Will be seeking new friends in Buda for advice on work an accommodation but know absolutely know-one out there.. can't speak the language either, not a great start. But if there's an english community out there this would help. Any advice on where to seek clean budget accommodation?

Thanks
Musicmad.

Hello Musicmad!

Welcome to Expat-Blog! :)

Your discussion has been moved to Budapest forum, enabling better communication with active members.

Check out Budapest classifieds. You could even post two adverts 1.(Category- Jobs) 2.(Category-Accommodation).

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Sheetul

Thanks for the welcome Sheetul, are you in Budapest yourself ?

Hello Musicmad!

Unfortunately not, am in Mauritius but would like to visit Budapest someday. I love traveling and meeting new people and learning about their culture and lifestyle. Keep us updated about your experiences in Budapest, once that you are there.

Cheers,
Sheetul

Hi, I don't think you will have trouble finding budget accomodation in Budapest, there are many apartments/rooms for rent currently... on renthungary.com you can take a look at yourself.

Finding a job is a different matter, I can not really comment on that, sorry, I have no idea where you should start from.. what sort of job are you looking for?

...and why on earth would you move to Budapest from Tenerife on this time of the year? Don't you know it is ~15C here and raining? :)

Yes! Sheetful will let you know how things go, thanks.

Hey Joe, to be honest the rain would be a nice change after 15 years of sun in Tenerife. Lived in Prague for 1 year enjoyed the culture there, thinking Buda may be similar as most central European countries share the same architecture and environment. I'm a musician (Piano player) worked with bands in the past but now going solo, do a bit of singing also but piano is main thing. Currently working on a set-list to take to hotels, bars etc, but know I'll have to get stuck in to a whatever day job before the music works out.

Now that's interesting.. I have a friend who is a full-time musician in Budapest (playing double bass in several bands, e.g. in Mihály Borbély Jazz Quartet, www.mihalyborbely.hu/aktualis_english.htm), he might be able to help you with advice for jobseeking in this area when you are here. He told me about his time in France playing in several bands and he said that you will need time while your name gets around and start getting jobs.. it is probably similar here in Budapest, too.

Yes, Prague is similar to Budapest in many respects, it has more integrity concerning its nice buildings though, as it has not been bombed during WWII unlike Budapest.

If you are close to your trip to Budapest (or need some information previously) just send me a private message and I will try to be of help.

Regards,
Joe